Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Marley Williams left foot sucks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_coulda_been_a_champ 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:05 pm
Post subject: Marley Williams left foot sucksReply with quote

When under pressure he puts it to boot akin to something you would have seen in the 70's . I think he is a shocking kick
Secondly he balks the opposition player but is now on his right side - and he doesn't have a right foot kick !!!
Only way you would win a premiership with him in the team is if he is the last 1-2 players picked .
Must move past him
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:24 pm
Post subject: Re: Marley Williams left foot sucksReply with quote

i_coulda_been_a_champ wrote:

Secondly he balks the opposition player but is now on his right side - and he doesn't have a right foot kick !!!

Then once he baulks he goes back on his left. It's like an episode of You think you can dance.

This is not so much Marley but I am staggered that so many players get to AFL level and have no option at all on the opposite side not even have some sort of kick to get you out of trouble.

I wasn't much good to get any any decent level other than playing local footy with mates but the first thing I learnt when young was to kick on both feet.

Last edited by Johnno75 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a coaching issue. Surely they look at the videos in the post game analysis.He has the ability to get the hard ball but almost always takes on the tackler, rather than looking for an earlier handball to an outside team mate.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:47 pm

TBH I wish more Collingwood players would do that first before baulking??? how many times did we get caught NOT taking the kick out option!
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:19 pm

White is the same, got caught out two or three times on the weekend.
It may not be Bucks job to motivate them but it's his job to coach the shitness out of them.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:59 pm

as one of the few players we have who can sell the dummy, and show a bit of flair and run, we must keep him, but by all means try to improve his kicking.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:29 pm

He had a Barry Crocker on Monday but he clearly needed the run, he'll get back to his best in the coming weeks.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Will be better for the run, when on song rarely gets caught out baulking around an opponent and we need his run and carry.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:20 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
as one of the few players we have who can sell the dummy, and show a bit of flair and run, we must keep him, but by all means try to improve his kicking.

By the time these players reach draft age disposal skill is apparently the hardest aspect to change.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:04 pm

We are one of the rare sides that pick left footers over the years who can't kick!!! Think of these recruits since 2000:

* Marley W: horrible
* Nathan Brown: kicks nine irons
* Levi Greenwood: kicks pitching wedges
* Ben Kennedy: channelled Kernahan floaters
* Ben Hudson: non descript
* Chris Bryan: thumping kick, just couldn't get it
* Marty Clarke: 2007 great, 2012-14 awful
* Alan Toovey: the worst in 20 years since Jason Wild
* Travis Cloke: a compass needed to find the big sticks
* Guy Richards: timid kick
* Shane Woewodin: turnover king
* Matthew Lokan: middling kick
* Richard Cole: horrible
* Steve McKee: ordinary
* Ben Johnson: first 6 years horrible, last 7 years improved
* Jarrod Witts: fair at best

Those who could kick:

* Clinton Young (injured)
* Ryan Lonie (played scared)
* Scott Pendlebury (gun)
* Alan Didak (gun)
* Jack Crisp: better than predicted
* Brayden Maynard: technically excellent, decision making flawed

BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:00 pm

I'd have Williams in my team any day of the week. He puts the team before himself with his efforts, is a heart and soul player.
We had Licca who was a shocking left footer, but gave his heart to the club, and was a legend.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:10 am

BJ wrote:
I'd have Williams in my team any day of the week. He puts the team before himself with his efforts, is a heart and soul player.
We had Licca who was a shocking left footer, but gave his heart to the club, and was a legend.

Yep, Williams was a little rusty at the level on Saturday but he still made fewer critical errors than Maynard, who gives his all but usually gives away several goals a game with terrible decision-making. Maynard is only 19 so he'll continue to improve, I hope, but Williams is a key part of or backline drive and he has been much-missed these past 6 weeks or so.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:36 am

Mugwump wrote:
BJ wrote:

Yep, Williams was a little rusty at the level on Saturday but he still made fewer critical errors than Maynard, who gives his all but usually gives away several goals a game with terrible decision-making. Maynard is only 19 so he'll continue to improve, I hope, but Williams is a key part of or backline drive and he has been much-missed these past 6 weeks or so.

I don't like Maynard down back, not yet anyway and certainly not at AFL level, I do like him as a player though, id give him a gig as a defensive fwd.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:01 am

Bob Sugar wrote:

I don't like Maynard down back, not yet anyway and certainly not at AFL level, I do like him as a player though, id give him a gig as a defensive fwd.

I had the same thought, but then reflected that he may not have the marking power to play forward. I can't recall him taking a contested mark, though I may have just forgotten.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:42 am
Post subject: Re: Marley Williams left foot sucksReply with quote

Johnno75 wrote:
i_coulda_been_a_champ wrote:

Then once he baulks he goes back on his left. It's like an episode of You think you can dance.

This is not so much Marley but I am staggered that so many players get to AFL level and have no option at all on the opposite side not even have some sort of kick to get you out of trouble.

I wasn't much good to get any any decent level other than playing local footy with mates but the first thing I learnt when young was to kick on both feet.

he was a rookie listed player. I suspect if he had elite kicking skills the lad would have been a first round draft pick. Not sure what you expect. The problem is that he probably had coaches who preferred to win rather than develop a child's skills. It is a failing of the system, but not everyone has a dad called Peter Moore or Dell Curry who can teach you how to do everything properly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: