Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ADF mulling 14B in arm'd vehicles as fries with 40B in subs?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
The last thing we want in a volatile climate is to be running an obsolete defence foce. Indonesia are rapidly upgrading and China is modernizing their fleet too. The numbers are always huge in defence, but it's always better to be well armed and at peace than find ourselves outgunned during a time of conflict.

How do we avoid over-spending, though? Do you think it's fair to say that there's not as much parliamentary/media scrutiny of defence spending as there could be?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:02 pm

It's one of the main areas of spending that those of a libertarian persuasion are happy to allow a government. I don't think that Joe public is in any position to make judgements on military hardware, capabilities of neighbours and possible enemies, etc, etc. All the public hears is MULTI BILLIONS OF DOLLARS and freaks out because they've got no terms of reference for the huge amounts thrown about.

A current generation Sub, Ship or fast jet is going to cost a shit load, but so is trying to keep 50 year old tech in the field.

Although as North Korea has shown, you can run 70 year old tech if your words are backed up by Nuclear Weapons and nobody will mess with you. Not sure THAT is going to get any traction in Australia but I'd be happy for us to have a small nuclear deterrent and cut back in some other areas (like foreign adventures for example).
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:11 pm

I'll only weigh into this a little.

We're a really frigging big island so we need to have reasonably well equipped defence forces in all 3 branches to be able to provide any form of self defence other than a token. We can't afford to just rely on allies as alliances are political in nature and can change.

Hardware costs a mint, no argument. You can compare the price of a Sub to how many social programs you could fund with that same dollars but if we can't defend the country there's no social programs left to run anyway so there has to be a balance.

Military funding has been cut back over years and years comparatively and actually, I don't have a problem with giving those troops charged with providing the defence decent tools to do so.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:50 pm

^ Absolutely, Stui. The first priority of a government is to defend the country and its borders. Should we ever have to ask men and women to risk their lives for Australia, we must give them the best chance of achieving their aims. Once that is done, then we can decide other spending priorities. Whether this is the right kit is a matter for experts.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:24 pm

ronrat wrote:
We purchased ASLAV vehicles and bushmasters in between. A nd if you need to get an idea what our strategic intent is read the next Defence white paper.

Perhaps you could elaborate on this strategy. I've read the PR; I'd rather learn something serious from someone with critical knowledge of the topic. Idea

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:37 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
The last thing we want in a volatile climate is to be running an obsolete defence foce. Indonesia are rapidly upgrading and China is modernizing their fleet too. The numbers are always huge in defence, but it's always better to be well armed and at peace than find ourselves outgunned during a time of conflict.

How do we avoid over-spending, though? Do you think it's fair to say that there's not as much parliamentary/media scrutiny of defence spending as there could be?

The only security is *economic* security and broader stability. A defence plan without a plan for that is a joke. A defence plan built on facilitating Anglo-American fossil fuels interests is a bigger joke, and will only push China offside and give its hawks justification, guaranteeing the need for further spending in a vicious circle of self-justification.

This topic will focus on micro strategy and imaginary but vaguely plausible threats like Indonesia, and skip macro strategy, because the latter is currently a farce tied to old hat economics. The real threat aside from domestic terrorism is instability due to global economic instability based on fossil fuels wars and natural disaster.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Wokko wrote:
As far as I know Diesel electric subs are quieter than nuclear and a real pain in the arse for the Americans.

In 2003 war games a Collins class sub 'sunk' a US Carrier and 2 Nuclear attack subs.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/23/1064082993693.html

I actually remember that funnily enough.

I guess the real plus of a nuclear sub is that it can stay at sea in a time if war for as long as the provisions to keep the sailors alive last.

The funny thing about a lot of this expensive hardware is that if a war breaks out between super powers then most of it will be destroyed pretty easily by modern missile delivery systems.

Sitting in a tank or aircraft carrier off the coast is fine when your invading Iraq but try doing that if Russia or China was the enemy.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:09 pm

Wokko wrote:
It's one of the main areas of spending that those of a libertarian persuasion are happy to allow a government. I don't think that Joe public is in any position to make judgements on military hardware, capabilities of neighbours and possible enemies, etc, etc. All the public hears is MULTI BILLIONS OF DOLLARS and freaks out because they've got no terms of reference for the huge amounts thrown about.

As they should, though, when they hear that we can't afford $40 million for an Indigenous legal aid service. Or a couple of hundred million to keep the ABC running at full capacity. All this and much more high profile stuff is the subject of endless debate, but it seems we sink tens of billions into defence with no other reason than a vague notion that we might one day need it (even though we haven't even had anything like a direct military threat in 70+ years). I don't deny that a country needs some kind of defence strategy, but, to repeat my original question, how much is too much?

All very well to say the government knows best and we don't have access to all the information. But if the only people in their ear are the various defence lobbies, then no wonder that the army tends to get what it wants. As citizens, I think we have an obligation to ask questions.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:27 pm

To be brutally honest buying some nukes off the yanks over the years that they would have otherwise destroyed anyway due to the agreement with Russia would be a cheaper and more effective military deterrent.

While a world without nukes would be ideal strangely enough they might be the one thing that has stopped and will stop the outbreak of WW3.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:57 pm

David wrote:

As they should, though, when they hear that we can't afford $40 million for an Indigenous legal aid service.

I think that is a false opposition.

Last time I looked we were spending $3.5B annually on the Dept of Aboriginal Affairs budget. I'd say we can afford to spend ~1% of that on a legal aid service, if we want to, without cutting defence. It might mean that a few of the people who make a tidy living out of aboriginal affairs, without making much (if any) discernable difference over the past 30 years, cease to do so.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:29 am

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

As they should, though, when they hear that we can't afford $40 million for an Indigenous legal aid service.

I think that is a false opposition.

Last time I looked we were spending $3.5B annually on the Dept of Aboriginal Affairs budget. I'd say we can afford to spend ~1% of that on a legal aid service, if we want to, without cutting defence. It might mean that a few of the people who make a tidy living out of aboriginal affairs, without making much (if any) discernable difference over the past 30 years, cease to do so.

Yeah, all those third world peasants making "a tidy living" off Aboriginal Affairs Rolling Eyes Irresponsible, completely detached Internet rubbish. No one except shite-talking Internet big mouths think a bit of a budget trim won't be missed in indigenous affairs. What a disgracefully aloof claim.

More of your famed "caution" when it comes to those with minimal representation.

Last edited by pietillidie on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:31 am

I get your point that we can always find some other place where that money could be redirected from, Mugwump, but my point is more that it puts these things in perspective. That is to say, a $10 billion expenditure on military vehicles should be subject to roughly ten times as much scrutiny as the ABC (which I think, even before all its cuts, was only getting about $1 billion a – though if you listened to the Murdoch columnists, you'd think it was the sole reason we weren't in surplus). And yet Liberal politicians tell us that we urgently need to make cuts in comparatively tiny industries.

swoop42 wrote:
To be brutally honest buying some nukes off the yanks over the years that they would have otherwise destroyed anyway due to the agreement with Russia would be a cheaper and more effective military deterrent.

While a world without nukes would be ideal strangely enough they might be the one thing that has stopped and will stop the outbreak of WW3.

Can we not start another nuclear weapons build-up? I don't think that's exactly a great path to go down...

Last edited by David on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:34 am; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:32 am

Where did you get it?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:34 am

^As I said, watch this topic focus on trivia and backyard hobbyist talk about weaponry on the one hand, and vague notions of "threat" on the other. Like clockwork. My favourite's the Indonesia version of the Yellow Peril, an imminent threat ever since I was a kid, and one which has already made an appearance in this thread.

Meanwhile, the oil and gas economies, and our undying devotion and commitment to them, cause monstrous global instability and insecurity at whim, even as we speak.

Remember the 50B for a first-class NBN that was going to send the country collapsing into the sea, and all the humorous talk of serious cost-benefit analyses by the "responsible adults in the room" (done by some revolving-door Glib consulting firm for hire)? LOL.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:04 am

David wrote:
I get your point that we can always find some other place where that money could be redirected from, Mugwump, but my point is more that it puts these things in perspective. That is to say, a $10 billion expenditure on military vehicles should be subject to roughly ten times as much scrutiny as the ABC (which I think, even before all its cuts, was only getting about $1 billion a – though if you listened to the Murdoch columnists, you'd think it was the sole reason we weren't in surplus). And yet Liberal politicians tell us that we urgently need to make cuts in comparatively tiny industries....

Sure, but there is no reason not to scrutinise both for efficiency and effectiveness in their own terms.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: