Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are we suffering a lack of on-field leadership?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:19 pm
Post subject: Are we suffering a lack of on-field leadership?Reply with quote

Before I start getting howled down by people saying "it's only round one ffs", my question actually relates to our team over the last couple of years. I'm a great admirer of Pendles (who wouldn't be), as he is a totally professional athlete and an incredibly gifted player. He may be regarded as one of our best players ever, in the history of our club. But that doesn't make him a great captain.

Looking at the captains of recent Premiership teams from Hawthorn, Geelong and the Swans, what stands out is that they are all fierce competitors and hard nuts. They are warriors. In 2010, Maxy was a warrior. I was fortunate to follow the Pies when Tuddy was our captain, and even today, he stands out as the benchmark of what's required of a captain. Tuddy would run through a brick wall for Collingwood. Looking at our current team, Sidey probably shows more physical leadership than Pendles. Obviously, we aren't going to change captains mid season, but I hope that Bucks grooms a couple of players to take over the leadership next year, and allow Pendles to just be Pendles. Maybe, Adams and Treloar should be promoted next year, with De Goey and Moore being readied to take over after them? All I know is that I reckon we are sadly lacking on-field leaders all over the ground, and watching Selwood and Dangerfield willing themselves at every contest, with no fear, the only emotion I have is pure envy.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Langdon will be Captain. Pendles is just warming the seat for him.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Bwahahahaha. Langdon. Funny stuff.

Medieval 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:07 pm

I love Pendles, but I see him on par with God Jnr. in his leadship capabilities. He is far mor likely to win the game off his own boot than drag the team with him and inspire them towards a win.

Hodge and Selwood aren't the only oppostion captains I envy. Nathan Jones has been captain for not nearly as long as he should have been. He has thrown himself at the bottom of nearly ever pack he could get himself to for years.

I think having a "hard" captain is beneficial to a degree, but I don't believe it's a necessity. I'd rather have 22 hard men on the field than one hard man who inspires 21 who would like to win, but need to be inspired for that to become a reality. That is precisely why Hawthorn and Geelong have dominated the recent era. Every player on those teams plays hard and leaves nothing behind when they walk off the field.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:17 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

In the VFL Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:29 pm

^^^ You think Pendles will be dropped?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Pendles is a brilliant player but doesn't physically inspire, that's not his game. His is the Rapier not the broadsword.

Taylor Adams is the captain in waiting for mine, he's more Tony Shaw than Hodge but he gives the impression he'd do whatever it took to win.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pendles is a brilliant player but doesn't physically inspire, that's not his game. His is the Rapier not the broadsword.

Taylor Adams is the captain in waiting for mine, he's more Tony Shaw than Hodge but he gives the impression he'd do whatever it took to win.

Agreed. Pendlebury is a bit like Chris Judd. Best player at Carlton and West Coast, but an ordinary captain.

Just because you are the most talented player on the list, it does not make you the best captain.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Where did he get it?
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:

each club has different needs in their captain. notwithstanding the captain being a whole of club thing, some clubs need their captain to also be demonstative on the field while others will want a captain to set the example off the field either on the preparation front or flesh pressing. pendles is the consummate professional in the way he prepares for games. someone like judd was a professional off the field and it was what carlton needed at the time as much as anything on field. perhaps we didn't have anyone who could do the off field stuff like representing the club with the sponsors etc. maybe there is a case to have two captains - a playing captain and a club captain. i think the criticism of pendles is a touch unfair but since saturday few have escaped the nick's blowtorch.

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Pendles, Adams, Sidey, Brown, Cloke, Treloar, Greenwood, no we have plenty

Just need a good back line.

Brenny 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:13 pm

I still maintain that our issue is decent ball users. We have leaders and players who can get the ball... but they can't kick it or handball it... well they can, just not to our players.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Do you mean you and me have?
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Brenny wrote:
I still maintain that our issue is decent ball users. We have leaders and players who can get the ball... but they can't kick it or handball it... well they can, just not to our players.

lol. harsh. Laughing

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I'm with Stui here. I love the hard nut physical player captains. Even if I was a young kid at the time I loved Tuddy (except when he unfortunately took out Peter McKenna) in the 1970 GF. Adams looks to be the only one on our list who would fit those boots at the moment (so far I also like the looks of Treloar). The other you just don't know yet, Pendles is a good captain and really knows his tactical stuff but you need someone that will command his troops like "the last stand" when you are getting done and momentum shift is what this game is all about you need your captain to show the way! a good crunching tackle at times goes a long way in uniting the troops. That said, on the weekend we go smashed in contested ball. And that has always been one of our forte. Tigers gave us a hiding again when that was missing at the end of last year!.... bring on Friday!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: