Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Midfield Depth

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:36 pm
Post subject: Midfield DepthReply with quote

With our quality midfield depth is it more likely we will look to tag or run with the opposition's #1 and #2 midfielders, leaving our stars to tear it up?

I'm looking at Sydney (round1) who have Kennedy, Hannebury, Mitchell and Parker ... we could conceivably run Crisp with Kennedy and Greenwood with Mitchell/Parker/Hannebury, leaving the likes of Pendlebury, Swan, Treloar (if fit), Adams and Sidebottom to outshine remaining Swans mids.

If Crisp and Greenwood could nullify the impact of Kennedy and possibly one of the others then it goes a long way to limit the ability of Sydney to hurt us.

Obviously, I understand the opposition can tag or run with our stars, but with our quality midfield depth (relative to other teams) I'm wondering whether a tag or run with role will become a greater strategic advantage to us in 2016.

The other option is just to run the midfields head-to-head expecting our mids to just be better all the way down the list.

Thoughts?

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you are right.
Watched the first half of the Sydney game last night in preparation for picking the best 22 with a Sydney plan.

Kennedy and Mitchell on a string, also Swanny and Pendles were good.

Seemed like Pendlebury and Jack spent a lot of time together, but Jack not 100% fit i don't think.
I think we can lock in Adams to have prime responsibility for Hannebury.
Don't know if anyone has ever stopped Kennedy.
Can anyone think of someone who successfully negated Kennedy from any side? Could be Greenwood's role - too early to say.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:09 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
i think you are right.
Watched the first half of the Sydney game last night in preparation for picking the best 22 with a Sydney plan.

Seemed like Pendlebury and Jack spent a lot of time together, but Jack not 100% fit i don't think.
Can anyone think of someone who successfully negated Kennedy from any side? Could be Greenwood's role - too early to say.

I haven't gone back over last year's Sydney games, but Crisp is a decent match physically and has shown an ability to run with and hurt occasionally the other way. It may be hard to "hard tag" Kennedy, although I'd like to see it tried - probably more a Macaffer/Greenwood role, so maybe a typical Crisp run with role to limit his impact.

Has Adams tagged before? I see him as our prime inside extractor. DeGoey might learn a fair bit running around with one of th Sydney stars.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:13 pm

""? Could be better?
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:23 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
i think you are right.

I haven't gone back over last year's Sydney games, but Crisp is a decent match physically and has shown an ability to run with and hurt occasionally the other way. It may be hard to "hard tag" Kennedy, although I'd like to see it tried - probably more a Macaffer/Greenwood role, so maybe a typical Crisp run with role to limit his impact.

Has Adams tagged before? I see him as our prime inside extractor. DeGoey might learn a fair bit running around with one of th Sydney stars.

Adams can beat him head to head - big job!
Don't know if Crisp has the centre bounce experience and we are blessed with it. But yes physically and around the ground he could match kennedy and hurt him the other way.
Brandon Jack was busy in the first half.

They didn't have Buddy and interestingly we played Frost Brown Reid and Marsh. Browny was great. Marshy had Goodes.
Looking forward to watching the 2nd half.

We were very cluttered inside 50 but we seemed to do better in the traffic.
Our forward line is good in traffic.
Remember this is at ANZ - its going to be a different game.

McVeigh ruled out, Parker and Rohan fit? Buddy back. No Rhyce Shaw.
Will be watching Sydney closely in the NAB.

I think right now we are over the odds at $2-50 at ANZ.
Looks like an even money game to me right now.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Yeah I like how we match up on Sydney.
Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:43 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
i think you are right.

In Round 9 2013, Josh P Kennedy was made to look 2nd rate in arguably the best negating game ever played on him. The opposition that day was the Collingwood Football Club. The player in question was the newest member of our Leadership Group...Brent Macaffer.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:35 pm

Sir Alan of Didak wrote:
In Round 9 2013, Josh P Kennedy was made to look 2nd rate in arguably the best negating game ever played on him. The opposition that day was the Collingwood Football Club. The player in question was the newest member of our Leadership Group...Brent Macaffer.

Mate he might not have the tank to do the job at the moment.

He might prove me wrong, but I wouldn't have any huge expectations on his motor at this point in time.

But hey, what would I know! Laughing

Dyso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: