Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Japan to close humanities departments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I can't help but think some people would prefer if we all spent our whole lives working on factory production lines, contributing our labour as efficiently as possible so that our children and grandchildren can do exactly the same. Forget history, forget art, forget philosophy, just work until you drop. What a civilisation that would be!

i cant help but think some people think they are better than others and should be paid to sit on their arses to philosophize about the working masses and what fools they are, working themselves into the ground to not just support their families, but the lazy bastards who want to just sit on their arses to philosophize about the working masses etc etc etc

even socrates had a trade to back him up, so did jesus

there is always a place for history, its just a shame some try to change it to suit their agendas,there is a place for art, where it brings enjoyment to others, or teaches in a way that is compelling, philosophy is a great tool for energizing and encouraging, even comforting people, but certainly means more coming from those who have done the hard yards and dealt with situations ie Ned Kelly, "such is life"!!

by the way, the guys on the production line deserve a damn sight more respect and credit than you give them above

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:44 pm

Beyond the Tony Abbott university wars, don't forget the brain is an idea production machine. If sprinters train to sprint, and footballers train to play football, then idea producers should presumably train to produce ideas.

I get the impression a lot of people misunderstand the importance of idea production and expression. Some people simply don't know much about the world, and can't express new thought combinations very well. That makes them poor thinkers, problem solvers and communicators.

The humanities at their best excel in oiling the creative idea machine. The notion of arts/business degrees, or arts/law degrees, was put forward twenty years ago to take advantage of that.

This thread seems bereft of both technical knowledge on the subject, and serious reasoning.

Five minutes ago, Wokko told us scientists couldn't be believed. Now, he's telling us the humanities are a waste of space. The common denominator here is probably not science and humanities, but rather whatever seems to be getting in the way of the latest weirdo conservative American political fantasy.

No one has even bothered to define the supposed problem with humanities. Just what is this problem, where does it exist, and what is the scientific evidence for it?

Being Tony Abbott in the student union trying to win "but mummy-told-me-I'm-the-best" wars is not the same as analysing something, and certainly not something important.

Random, non-scientific declarations based on blog debates with angry feminist versions of Tony Abbott in the student union just don't tell us anything useful. Actual scientists would cringe at what is barely afternoon tea gossip.

All I can say is that despite my interests moving to the social sciences and the sciences now, I really gained a lot from my history, rhetoric, English literature, philosophy, ancient history, Classical Hebrew literature, Classical Greek literature, and Classical Hebrew language classes.

And I can clearly recall people sooking back then about the same things.

Universities forever and a day have been inhabited by religio-conservative foot stompers, conspiracy theorists, "the world is going to hell" old fartists, dumb please-the-professor regurgitators, pseudo-communists, and political correctness OCDers. My guess is not much has changed except for the "menace" of choice and access being extend to the riff-raff.

But none of that tells me anything about how important or otherwise the humanities are to society. That requires hard evidence, research and a depth of understanding about human cognition and learning, and its role in knowledge production and collective intelligence in complex societies.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:15 pm

Shocked
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:06 pm

Wokko wrote:
The humanities no longer teach people how to think, they teach people what to think and the RIGHT way to think. Constant attacks on dissenting (conservative) thought, not through argument but through denying the other side a platform show that we need a rebuild.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/23/conservative-professors-winning-legal-battles-but-/?page=all

Shows an interesting perspective from Conservatives winning the argument against progressive takeover of univeristies but losing the war against it.

Have you ever actually taken a humanities subject? I did political science and philosophy at the ANU (and later sociology, communications, film studies and poetry at Monash), and at no point did I feel like I was being told what to think. And, knowing me and my idiosyncratic beliefs, that actually means something.

I'm not saying it's all like that, necessarily. Perhaps there are some fringe arts subjects that are little more than indoctrination. But what I see here is a lot of (by appearances, not terribly well-informed) generalising.

Remember, if you start shutting down humanities departments, you don't just stop Little Johnny from taking on an arts elective; you more or less kill those disciplines as a whole in that country. Without undergraduate courses, where are you going to get the masters students, the research papers and the expert contributions to the relevant global discussions in these areas? You can complain about my 'factory line' remarks all you like, but where are the meaningful contributions to these fields of study going to come from? How can this result in anything but a dumbing down of society?

Let's be clear about what humanities subjects are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanities

Quote:
Fields:

Anthropology
Classics
History
Geography
Languages
Law and Politics
Literature
Performing arts
Philosophy
Religion
Visual arts

In aggregate, that's the study of human culture, practically in its entirety. You want to flush all of these fields down the toilet?

think positive wrote:

by the way, the guys on the production line deserve a damn sight more respect and credit than you give them above

I'm sure there is the odd lifelong factory worker who has managed to live a double life as an expert historian or anthropologist. But I suspect they may be the exception to the rule. You know as well as I do that it takes time and effort to become really good at something, and no person on earth has infinite reserves of time and energy. It doesn't matter how smart or dedicated you are; we are not superhuman. So yeah, sorry, a society composed solely of manual labourers is going to be intellectually and culturally poorer for it. Offensive or not, that's just the way it goes.

Last edited by David on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:20 pm

I was in the middle of my Arts degree, majoring in Philosophy and History when I had to leave to look after my daughter full time due to my partner's health issues. I was in my 2nd year and receiving good marks. The progressive group think is subtle and seeing as it would be confirming your already held beliefs it's no surprise to me you either didn't see it or chose not to see it. I took a history subject about immigration and it may as well have been written by Sarah Hanson Young. I did my part to be subversive by writing a piece about Malcolm Fraser and the Liberal party being the main driving force behind Australia's humanitarian Vietnamese refugee policies rather than the tokenism of Whitlam. Laughing

My Philosophy lecturer was quitting due to progressive bullshit, and I actually dropped a class because of the 'Men are to blame for everything' crap that popped up in a lecture (walked out on it). Sociology was interesting as my tutor was very progressive but was happy to engage with a well thought out 'conservative' view point rather than shout it down or ignore it. Again I wrote on Adam Smith to stick it up them a bit.

This was La Trobe Uni. Maybe when I go back I'll try ACU or something Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:15 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
The humanities no longer teach people how to think, they teach people what to think and the RIGHT way to think. Constant attacks on dissenting (conservative) thought, not through argument but through denying the other side a platform show that we need a rebuild.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/23/conservative-professors-winning-legal-battles-but-/?page=all

Shows an interesting perspective from Conservatives winning the argument against progressive takeover of univeristies but losing the war against it.

Have you ever actually taken a humanities subject? I did political science and philosophy at the ANU (and later sociology, communications, film studies and poetry at Monash), and at no point did I feel like I was being told what to think. And, knowing me and my idiosyncratic beliefs, that actually means something.

I'm not saying it's all like that, necessarily. Perhaps there are some fringe arts subjects that are little more than indoctrination. But what I see here is a lot of (by appearances, not terribly well-informed) generalising.

Remember, if you start shutting down humanities departments, you don't just stop Little Johnny from taking on an arts elective; you more or less kill those disciplines as a whole in that country. Without undergraduate courses, where are you going to get the masters students, the research papers and the expert contributions to the relevant global discussions in these areas? You can complain about my 'factory line' remarks all you like, but where are the meaningful contributions to these fields of study going to come from? How can this result in anything but a dumbing down of society?

Let's be clear about what humanities subjects are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanities

Quote:
Fields:

Anthropology
Classics
History
Geography
Languages
Law and Politics
Literature
Performing arts
Philosophy
Religion
Visual arts

In aggregate, that's the study of human culture, practically in its entirety. You want to flush all of these fields down the toilet?

think positive wrote:

I'm sure there is the odd lifelong factory worker who has managed to live a double life as an expert historian or anthropologist. But I suspect they may be the exception to the rule. You know as well as I do that it takes time and effort to become really good at something, and no person on earth has infinite reserves of time and energy. It doesn't matter how smart or dedicated you are; we are not superhuman. So yeah, sorry, a society composed solely of manual labourers is going to be intellectually and culturally poorer for it. Offensive or not, that's just the way it goes.

Oh wow an expert historian has just so much more to contribute than someone getting their hands dirty! You pompous ass! Someone has to keep the sewer system working, someone has to drive the rubbish truck, someone has to clean the toilets at the university's you attend. And they all contribute to the tax system that has allowed you to be a student for so long, and now pays various child support benefits for your family. You and your share the wealth! No inheritance bullshit! You are a $£$%^%%$ freeloader, the worst kind, looking down your nose at those who do the dirty work and pay the taxes that have helped you through uni. Exactly when and what do you intend to start giving back, intellectually or culturally? Yeah yeah I know, you work you pay taxes, doing what? What critically important job do you have that gives you the right to look down your nose at anyone else?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:53 pm

All I know is whoever dreamt up " reflective journals" should be smacked in the head with a shovel - what a load of clap trap and a total waste of time ( yes I appreciate some people may get benefit from it - fine let them do it don't foist it on everyone!!!)

I made up every single word of every stupid one I had to do the night before it was due!

Much prefer bioscience, chemistry, physics etc that don't waffle on with abstract bollocks!! Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:36 pm

think positive wrote:

Oh wow an expert historian has just so much more to contribute than someone getting their hands dirty! You pompous ass! Someone has to keep the sewer system working, someone has to drive the rubbish truck, someone has to clean the toilets at the university's you attend. And they all contribute to the tax system that has allowed you to be a student for so long, and now pays various child support benefits for your family. You and your share the wealth! No inheritance bullshit! You are a $£$%^%%$ freeloader, the worst kind, looking down your nose at those who do the dirty work and pay the taxes that have helped you through uni. Exactly when and what do you intend to start giving back, intellectually or culturally? Yeah yeah I know, you work you pay taxes, doing what? What critically important job do you have that gives you the right to look down your nose at anyone else?

Before pontificating too much more about snobbery and elitism, has it occurred to you that you're doing exactly what you're accusing me of? You evidently hold academics and university students in no regard whatsoever, and constantly use terms like 'freeloaders', 'wankers' and so on. The difference between us is that I actually don't look down on manual labourers one bit. I think they currently perform a vital role in society. But a society can't exist on manual labour, or STEM researchers, or humanities academics alone. Surely that is not such an offensive statement to make.

I suppose I'll never be able to convince you that my defence of higher education is not some coded elitist attack on tradies, shop assistants and so on. But it would be good if you could take a more generous approach to those people who choose different paths in life and make different contributions to society.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:38 pm

^ bit harsh, TP. I don't think David's saying manual work isn't important, just that it is not the only kind of work that can have value, and that we would be poorer without historians, economists, music theorists etc. i can agree with that. After my garbage has been collected and my car serviced, I'd rather read a good history than a balance sheet, so I want people who can write those. And the fact that 2008 caused much less misery and unemployment than 1929 owes much to the work of good economists. It helped that Ben
Bernanke was an economic historian of the Great Depression. So the humanities, practised by very talented people, can be terribly important in the real world.

The problem with the humanities is that they are not just about facts, but about the stories and meaning that can be woven around the facts. The portion of objective truth is relatively small, and in such a situation the only guarantee of academic rigour is free compeitition in the marketplace of ideas. It is the debasement of the humanities by well-documented bias and bullying in staffing processes, and the fact that the humanitiies have low entry standards amd attract ill-qualified candidates, that makes many of us question their overall value creation.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:39 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Before pontificating too much more about snobbery and elitism, has it occurred to you that you're doing exactly what you're accusing me of? You evidently hold academics and university students in no regard whatsoever, and constantly use terms like 'freeloaders', 'wankers' and so on. The difference between us is that I actually don't look down on manual labourers one bit. I think they currently perform a vital role in society. But a society can't exist on manual labour, or STEM researchers, or humanities academics alone. Surely that is not such an offensive statement to make.

I suppose I'll never be able to convince you that my defence of higher education is not some coded elitist attack on tradies, shop assistants and so on. But it would be good if you could take a more generous approach to those people who choose different paths in life and make different contributions to society.

My kids are uni students, I hold them in the highest regard. And blue colour money is supporting their studies. We hope they have an easier path, but they still respect where they come from.

And you do look down on blue collar workers, your disdain is obvious. I don't look down on anyone, except umpires and pedophiles, serial killers, terrorists and anyone who hurts a dog

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:09 am

^My guess, TP, is that his disdain is for anti-intellectualism and the anti-humanistic development ideas which trap people in personal economic cycles which exclude intellectual development.

Work hard, come home knackered, watch telly, complain about whatever, gossip on facebook about trivia to relieve stress, have kids, work hard...never free up enough time and money for serious personal development...whinge about university students...increase fees to punish university students and those engaging in intellectual development out of envy and disappointment...

Also, on a technical note, "hard" work can actually damage the economy. Plenty of people in very poor countries work "hard". The important thing is "productive" work, and we know productive work is always associated with ingenuity, technology, complex idea integration, creativity, complex system knowledge and operation, and so on.

There is nothing wrong with any "work" per se; what is wrong is when "hard work" becomes a blind religion and an anti-mind-developing mantra. Remember, the brain is what separates us from the beasts; the difference between a HQ cabinet maker and someone who does a "job" is that the former uses his brain in two ways: (a) using ingenuity to solve complex problems and (b) using creativity. That's just one example, but it ought to be the itching goal of people "using their hands".

Of course, it's hard to escape the payment cycle and people have to survive, so no one is querying the obvious need to do that. They're querying turning that into a new religion and end in itself. Fine, if you're in the Great Depression; but intellectually lazy for everyone else. (Remember, when I say "intellectual" I don't mean "useless smart", I mean having sophisticated problem solving and creative skills, whatever they might be).

Teaching and developing people's minds and critical thought processes is the practical end that intellectuals should focus on. Unfortunately, in universities, they have become self-absorbed "publish-or-perish" machines due to idiotic university rankings obsessions, gross under-funding and career insecurity. If I were running a university it would be the opposite: Teach (in spoken and written form) and develop people or perish, and take time off periodically to write papers.

As ever, it's a vicious cycle: You can't fix the selfish focus on publishing papers for the sake of it without decent funding, so "getting revenge" on the system by de-funding it only makes the problem worse.

Some systems operate better *without* a market orientation because their benefits are far too complex to measure in the here and now, something I have argued also applies to fundamental social necessities such as public transport, many utilities, and certainly the Internet. Sane societies always apply it to the legal system, policing and correctional system and the health system. They used to apply it universally to the education system, too, which brings us to the main problem here.

Good education which develops minds also falls into this category, which is why all the fancy nonsense and new ideas under the sun people are crapping on about are not fixing education at any level except one: At the very, very top end where zillions of dollars in funding from rich benefactors and multi-millionaire parents can be used to overcome the multitude of problems.

But this just masks what is otherwise an overwhelmingly foolish move whereby incentives which work in other economic spheres such as industry have been imported into a context whose responsibility is to develop the individual's and society's ability to do two things: Solve problems and create new stuff. This can be achieved from within pretty much any discipline within a sane education system which matches the economic incentives to that system, rather than dumbly importing productivity economics from manufacturing in an act of religion Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:20 am

pietillidie wrote:
^My guess, TP, is that his disdain is for anti-intellectualism and the anti-humanistic development ideas which trap people in personal economic cycles which exclude intellectual development.

Work hard, come home knackered, watch telly, complain about whatever, gossip on facebook about trivia to relieve stress, have kids, work hard...never free up enough time and money for serious personal development...whinge about university students...increase fees to punish university students and those engaging in intellectual development out of envy and disappointment...

Also, on a technical note, "hard" work can actually damage the economy. Plenty of people in very poor countries work "hard". The important thing is "productive" work, and we know productive work is always associated with ingenuity, technology, complex idea integration, creativity, complex system knowledge and operation, and so on.

There is nothing wrong with any "work" per se; what is wrong is when "hard work" becomes a blind religion and an anti-mind-developing mantra. Remember, the brain is what separates us from the beasts; the difference between a HQ cabinet maker and someone who does a "job" is that the former uses his brain in two ways: (a) using ingenuity to solve complex problems and (b) using creativity. That's just one example, but it ought to be the itching goal of people "using their hands".

Of course, it's hard to escape the payment cycle and people have to survive, so no one is querying the obvious need to do that. They're querying turning that into a new religion and end in itself. Fine, if you're in the Great Depression; but intellectually lazy for everyone else. (Remember, when I say "intellectual" I don't mean "useless smart", I mean having sophisticated problem solving and creative skills, whatever they might be).

Teaching and developing people's minds and critical thought processes is the practical end that intellectuals should focus on. Unfortunately, in universities, they have become self-absorbed "publish-or-perish" machines due to idiotic university rankings obsessions, gross under-funding and career insecurity. If I were running a university it would be the opposite: Teach (in spoken and written form) and develop people or perish, and take time off periodically to write papers.

As ever, it's a vicious cycle: You can't fix the selfish focus on publishing papers for the sake of it without decent funding, so "getting revenge" on the system by de-funding it only makes the problem worse.

Some systems operate better *without* a market orientation because their benefits are far too complex to measure in the here and now, something I have argued also applies to fundamental social necessities such as public transport, many utilities, and certainly the Internet. Sane societies always apply it to the legal system, policing and correctional system and the health system. They used to apply it universally to the education system, too, which brings us to the main problem here.

Good education which develops minds also falls into this category, which is why all the fancy nonsense and new ideas under the sun people are crapping on about are not fixing education at any level except one: At the very, very top end where zillions of dollars in funding from rich benefactors and multi-millionaire parents can be used to overcome the multitude of problems.

But this just masks what is otherwise an overwhelmingly foolish move whereby incentives which work in other economic spheres such as industry have been imported into a context whose responsibility is to develop the individual's and society's ability to do two things: Solve problems and create new stuff. This can be achieved from within pretty much any discipline within a sane education system which matches the economic incentives to that system, rather than dumbly importing productivity economics from manufacturing in an act of religion Rolling Eyes

I actually agree with a lot of your post. I guess the highlighted is the difference too, our business thrives because hubby is in the former, problem solving, creative, finding opportunities others missed and making them work.

I also agree with your uni comments. From my limited dealings, I'm far from impressed. But then I could say the same about primary and high school teaching methods too. A lot of the new age stuff doesn't work. Kids can't do basics in maths, spelling, grammar. Too much ego IMO, and laziness. Need to care more about quality, than quantity or accolades. But that ain't just schools now is it!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:07 am

^ a nice post, PTID, but I've no idea what you are proposing - is it that tertiaty education should be freed of any market disciplines ? That we return to a 1970s-style model where the amount of spending, and accountability for performance, was delegated to the providers or bureaucrats ?

I can see the attraction, as market disciplines do not work well in (say) English literature : but any system which frees providers from strict accountability to consumers and those who fund them has broken incentives and interests - indeed, a kind of corruption - at its heart. I would not want to abolish the humanities, but I would like to see them effectively rationed and governed. And the start of that programme of effective governance would be to stop the discrimination against academics on the right, which commenced in the early Seventies, and allocating a relatively higher share of resources to the sciences and vocational subjects, where creativity and originality is no less prevalent than it is in the humanities.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:11 pm

Interesting piece from the New Yorker – "The year of the imaginary college student":

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-year-of-the-imaginary-college-student?intcid=mod-latest

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:11 pm

David wrote:

Have you ever actually taken a humanities subject? I did political science and philosophy at the ANU (and later sociology, communications, film studies and poetry at Monash),

so 3 questions.

1. After completing 6 subjects, do you actually have a degree or any form of qualification yet?

2. If not, how far to go and what would it be?

2. What do you do for paid employment as a father and someone who lives in an expensive area of melbourne?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: