Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
David wrote:
Some humanity from the government frontbench:

^ What misleading Liberal rubbish is this you are parroting now? Abbott's "generous" offer is to take 10k Syrians instead of 10k other refugees amounts to nothing. Nothing whatsoever. All he is "offering" to do is take the exact same number of refugees from a different camp.

Bah.

You obviously didn't read the link attached to my post, or the earlier post in which I criticised Abbott on the same grounds you just did. The 'humanity' I'm referring to is the willingness of Turnbull, Frydenberg and others to publicly oppose the prime minister by calling for an additional intake.

Here's what I posted on page 2:

David wrote:
Apparently Abbott has agreed to an increase in Syrian refugees but only at the expense of refugees from other areas. What generosity.

http://m.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australia-ready-to-take-more-refugees-from-syria-tony-abbott-says-20150906-gjg6ud.html

Would it kill us to acknowledge that there's a major international crisis happening and that a little extra hard work is required? FFS, you'd think we were all living on the poverty line. Rolling Eyes

Worth pointing out that this refugee crisis has been happening for four years now, so the sudden rush to action is strange. Still, better late than never, I guess.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:57 pm

It's all OK now, we are going to blow up targets in Syria. Our pilots must be good as three groups could be shooting at each other but we know which ones to bomb.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:00 pm

David wrote:
Apparently Abbott has agreed to an increase in Syrian refugees but only at the expense of refugees from other areas. What generosity.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:06 pm

While it's nice to see some urgency, I really don't get this. People see one dead child, and this changes everything?

I mean, perhaps that's the way it should be; but many thousands of children have been killed over the course of this war, and many more will be killed if we go ahead and bomb Syria. Will Abbott have tears in his eyes, then, or will it just be one of those "shit happens" things? Will it be less of a tragedy if a photographer doesn't happen to be standing by?

There just seems to be an incredible cognitive dissonance here.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Tannin wrote:
David wrote:

Yes, that's what I posted... Confused

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:09 pm

David wrote:
While it's nice to see some urgency, I really don't get this. People see one dead child, and this changes everything?

I mean, perhaps that's the way it should be; but many thousands of children have been killed over the course of this war, and many more will be killed if we go ahead and bomb Syria. Will Abbott have tears in his eyes, then, or will it just be one of those "shit happens" things? Will it be less of a tragedy if a photographer doesn't happen to be standing by?

There just seems to be an incredible cognitive dissonance here.
It could happen.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:23 pm

David wrote:
Tannin wrote:
David wrote:

Yes, that's what I posted... Confused

And it's also what I posted. We seem to be at an impasse here. What is there to discuss when we are both saying the same thing?

Enough about me, let's talk about the Pies.

Errr ... I seem to have done it again Shocked

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Ummm
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:28 pm

David wrote:
While it's nice to see some urgency, I really don't get this. People see one dead child, and this changes everything? .

My thoughts exactly.

Meanwhile, claiming to be Syrian is apparently the latest thing. http://www.theage.com.au/world/migrant-crisis-pakistanis-others-dumping-ids-to-become-syrian-20150906-gjggcn.html

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:36 am

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Pro democratic groups? How naive do you want to be? Al Qaeda linked rebel groups have been the main opposition for years, now even THEY are fighting ISIS. Assad was always the best option for a stable, peaceful Syria but the USA and friends decided to set Syria up the same as they did Libya and create another failed state shithole in the ME.

If Assad wasn't in power we'd have ISIS massacres and inquisitions all the way to the Med.

Non-ISIS Salafist groups like the Al-Nusra Front only form part of the broader opposition (and it's not always entirely clear whose side they're on anyway – apparently there have been defections to ISIS from the ANF). You've completely ignored the existence of the SRCC and its various pro-democratic groups who led the charge against Assad from the beginning and continue to fight against the regime to this day, now with the support of America and the EU.

I think Wokko is talking about Salafist groups within the Islamic Front such as Jaysh Al-Islam who are part of the broader opposition. Apart from a small handful of moderate secularists, most of the Syrian opposition consists of groups who believe in a Sunni Islamist ideology and want to overthrow Assad but also see ISIS as a cancer within the jihadist movement.

Al-Nusra Front slips in and out of this opposition depending on the battle. For example they were allies with the Free Syrian Army (FSA) during the Battle of Aleppo but were enemies in the Battle of Yarmouk Camp earlier in the year. However, there have been internal struggles between ISIS and Al-Nusra Front which suggests a schism between these two groups is more likely to be permanent rather than resolved in the future.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:14 am

That's a lot of refugees

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2371311/Syrian-Zaatari-refugee-camp-home-160-000-Jordans-fifth-largest-city.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:28 am

Yep, it's pretty grim. This is the reality for people in refugee camps all over the world, and it's up to countries like ours to make sure that Jordan, Turkey and Lebanon don't have to shoulder the entire burden of the Syrian humanitarian crisis on their own.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:52 am

How about the rich Arab/Muslim countries open their arms and take them in? Why shift them to a land far far away as they will pass multiple countries on their journey or is this all about getting to a country that has a social security system that can look after them?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:48 am

It's about sharing the load. We can't control what Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates do, but we can control what we do. We can and should pressure the gulf states to open their gates, but if they refuse, what else can we do?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:29 am

We have the Federal Government come out last week saying that Medicare is out of control and unsustainable. At least Six months ago the same Government saying the amount of people on some sort of welfare is unsustainable. Unemployment is up and our dollar is down and we are heading into recession. When do you say, hey we have to fix the issues here first?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 5 of 74   

Jump to: