Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

David King: The November Bully

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:52 pm
Post subject: David King: The November BullyReply with quote

Gee it's November and we are already getting pros and cons analysis plus pressure lumped on Buckley. Kingy can you give it a rest till March??
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:54 pm
Post subject: Re: David King: The November BullyReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Gee it's November and we are already getting pros and cons analysis plus pressure lumped on Buckley. Kingy can you give it a rest till March??

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/collingwood-is-firing-blanks-under-nathan-buckley-writes-david-king/story-e6frf3e3-1227117477691?sv=77da76d1d67e6912ed62b34eb9d41d47

Poor article, fact is we were a bottom 4 side in the back half of the season, goes to reason we'd boast bottom 4 stats, no mention of injuries, we do need to clean our disposal up though, and I'm sorry to say but the only way we do that is to recruit capable disposers.

Our recruitment has a lot to answer for, we haven't had prime picks (last 2 crops excluded) but we've gone for skilless guys who can find it instead of skilled guys who can't, seems teaching kids to find the footy is easier than teaching them skills, ATM our list is cluttered with the former.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The facts speak for themselves, and King's claim that we have continually gone backwards under Buckley is undeniable.

His simplistic use of statistics however provides no real insight. Our contested ball numbers were low and that is a concern, but with Adams and Greenwood in particular, we do have players that can see it improve (we won't be relying on Blair as King suggests). The disposal efficiency numbers are bad, but not a worry. This does not require different players, it requires greater organisation and better fitness. With all of our injuries we were a disorganised and cobbled together team for most of 2014, disposal efficiency will always be down in these circumstances.

And can Sidebottom and Blair take our midfield to the next level? I'm not sure Blair's going to play a lot in the midfield if we're healthy, but Adams, Freeman, Greenwood, Varcoe, Seedsman, eventually Scharenberg etc may have more of an impact.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:29 pm

David King come across as a Total Know it all who just believes what he wants
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

dave, we all believe what we want. king has a better analytical mind than most in the media.

the article touched on some themes that had some basis in truth but it came across as a superficial assessment. that said, there are very big question marks hanging over the squad. next year really could go either way even if we have a good run with injuries.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:37 pm

John Wren wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

dave, we all believe what we want. king has a better analytical mind than most in the media.

the article touched on some themes that had some basis in truth but it came across as a superficial assessment. that said, there are very big question marks hanging over the squad. next year really could go either way even if we have a good run with injuries.

Well - Going by that.

Do you see Bucks losing his Job at Seasons end then?

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:43 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
The facts speak for themselves, and King's claim that we have continually gone backwards under Buckley is undeniable.

His simplistic use of statistics however provides no real insight. Our contested ball numbers were low and that is a concern, but with Adams and Greenwood in particular, we do have players that can see it improve (we won't be relying on Blair as King suggests). The disposal efficiency numbers are bad, but not a worry. This does not require different players, it requires greater organisation and better fitness. With all of our injuries we were a disorganised and cobbled together team for most of 2014, disposal efficiency will always be down in these circumstances.

And can Sidebottom and Blair take our midfield to the next level? I'm not sure Blair's going to play a lot in the midfield if we're healthy, but Adams, Freeman, Greenwood, Varcoe, Seedsman, eventually Scharenberg etc may have more of an impact.

Disposal effiency number aren't a concern?

The way I see it is your running backs have to have good foot skills-decision making, same goes for your 3 main mids (unless one of those mids offered something different like Swan did), those are the guys who get the lions share of the footy, now we've lost one of our elite mid disposers (replaced with another ball butcher) and we've also lost Reid from defence who set us up time after time with his foot skills.

Our back lines foot skills are bottom 4, heart in ya mouth stuff when most of em get the ball, and yet the only guy who showed decent skills we decided to rookie off the main list, it's clear Buckley doesn't rate kicking skills.

You like this.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Well - Going by that.

it's a very real possibility.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:56 pm

David King has been pre pro-Collingwood in his estimations of how we would perform.
Our recent performances have caused a change in tune. Many of our fans have done similar.

Yes Dave, if the Pies don't perform this season then Bucks will be in trouble you'd anticipate.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:17 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Well - Going by that.

We need to see something next year, it's as simple as that, injuries can't be an excuse either as many believe his training methods have contributed to the injuries, if he can't get us heading north after 4 years it's game over.

You like this.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

If we are relying on Blair to turn our midfield fortunes around then we are well and truly stuffed.

He wouldn't be close to being in my best 22 let alone an integral part.

How many games he plays next season will tell me a lot about Buckley the coach.

If he continues to be a lock in the 22 with performances that don't warrant it IMO it doesn't augur well when trying to remain positive about the mindset of our coach and what he values.

Blair is to Buckley what Wild was to Shaw is seemingly apt after this season and we all know how well that ended for Shaw.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:27 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/collingwood-says-it-can-return-to-top-eight-in-2015-after-list-rebuild/story-e6frf3e3-1227117557157

I think in a subtle way Hine himself is turning up the heat just a little on the senior coach as well.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/collingwoods-mature-recruits-levi-greenwood-travis-varcoe-jack-crisp-fasttrack-list-rebuild/story-e6frf3e3-1227117507075

"Hine called this year’s talent pool “the most even I have seen”.

“We can go to the draft and attack it with some real aggression, particularly in terms of our needs,” Hine said.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:33 pm

Yawn. Rolling Eyes
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:41 pm

A really bad article, with no objectivity whatsoever. He declares that Travis Cloke is now heading to the realms of mediocrity, on the basis of his 2014 year. This is just a provocation and has no objective foundation. He completely disregards all the years whereT ravis Cloke has dominated, and develops a prognosis purely on this one year where there was clearly something wrong.
And to suggest that the performance of our midfield depends on Blair injecting extra energy is absurd: why does it depend on Blair? Does he have memory loss, and completely forgotten that we recruited Greenwood and Varcoe this year, as well as having Taylor Adams and Josh Thomas among others to lift?
He then puts forward a straw man in order to demolish it by asking if we can afford to play Jamie Elliott in the midfield? I don't think we really ever had this intention..it was forced upon us by the ravages of injuries.
He quotes various diabolical statistics, but the question must be asked: if we could still finish as we did, within contact of the 8 (and would have made it had we not been devastated by injuries) with such shocking stats, then there is certainly more than enough scope to make it to the finals next year when we improve our disposal and kicking efficiency.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:05 pm

I agree with the above - not a great article, but i do have to take a swipe at the Collingwood board on this one, they set us up to be attacked in the media. To come out and say "we will win a premership in three years" invites criticism.

2015 is a big year. On the one hand, another bad run with injuries is beyound anyone's blame. But if we do have another poor year (by that i mean probably 9th/10th or below). I think time will be up for Buckley. Yes not his fault on injuries, but the free agents have been sub-standard. And couchs always say teams live and die not by the injuries but by the depth of squad.

And hey no one ever said coaching was a fair game. I do hope we have a solid year. And *touch wood* no more long term injuries. If Buckley can get us into 8th i would be happy for him to stay on another one to two years. But i think we really do have to see some improvment this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: