Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

last day at Vic park 1999

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:09 am
Post subject: last day at Vic park 1999Reply with quote

I was talking about how GWS reminded me of the Brions back in 1999 when
we played our last game at Vic Park.
It got me thinking of that game. You were charged a $1 entrance fee and the place was packed to the rafters with temporary stands and a great atmosphere. Except we were thrashed by the AFL lions that day.
Any memories from other Nicksters?

vic park 2.jpg

xpunky bash 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:43 am
Post subject: memories from Last Day at Victoria ParkReply with quote

I remember the thrashing we got from the Lions. I also remember a Bride going onto the ground at half time. Can't remember if there was a groom, suppose there was because she would look lost without someone with her. I sat in the stand over by the interchange bench and Mary Delahunty the journalist turned politician sat nearby. I think she might be a pies supporter.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:52 am
Post subject: Re: last day at Vic park 1999Reply with quote

thompsoc wrote:
It got me thinking of that game. You were charged a $1 entrance fee and the place was packed to the rafters with temporary stands and a great atmosphere. Except we were thrashed by the AFL lions that day.

I remember being pissed off at Matthews for not playing Monkhorst that day.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthews? As in Leigh Matthews, the guy who was coaching Brisbane that day? Confused
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:14 pm

David wrote:
Matthews? As in Leigh Matthews, the guy who was coaching Brisbane that day? Confused

From wikipedia
After Leigh Matthews ended his stint as Collingwood coach, Shaw would be appointed the new coach for the 1996 season, only two seasons after retirement. A leader on the field, Shaw was unsuccessful off the field as coach. In 1996 he would guide Collingwood to 11th place, and his best effort came in 1997 when the club finished 10th. Shaw coached the Pies to the club's second wooden spoon in 1999, earning the accolade of being a premiership captain to coach a wooden spoon winning side. After that, Shaw resigned as Collingwood coach.

Post-Football[edit]

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:27 pm

What a day, or few weeks to be exact.

My Memories -
Building the MASSIVE run-through over a 2-3 week period - biggest ever in overall area. There has been taller and longer but not one that height and width. Would have been heaviest EVER also.
Carrying and Raising the banner - christ it was heavy. Not saying I did it by myself though.
Drinking on the steps of the social club all day.
Aftermatch in the social club - sad day on many levels
The after party in the wharehouse on Trennery crescent.
The headache the next day!!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:36 pm

The banner!
It was big!!!!!!!!!!

vic park  4.jpg

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:39 pm
Post subject: Re: memories from Last Day at Victoria ParkReply with quote

xpunky bash wrote:
I remember the thrashing we got from the Lions. I also remember a Bride going onto the ground at half time. Can't remember if there was a groom, suppose there was because she would look lost without someone with her. I sat in the stand over by the interchange bench and Mary Delahunty the journalist turned politician sat nearby. I think she might be a pies supporter.

Two of her brothers played for Collingwood and Essendon, respectively, from 1971. They played against each other for the first time in round 3 of 1971 (Mike's third game for Collingwood and Hugh's first game for Essendon) in a drawn match. Hugh finished at Essendon in 1973 (he became a National Party politician and was in at least the Napthine Cabinet) but Mike played on at the 'Pies until the end of 1975, although Hugh played a few more senior games than Mike.

I seem to recall Mary wearing Collingwood colours on TV before one of our Grand Finals (most likely 1990) and mentioning that her brother Mike had played for us. I have a much more vivid recollection of John Jost wearing his Collingwood gear before the 1990 GF.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Was there as well, thinking I don't know if we want to lose (would miss on Number 1 pick Fraser) they also had a BIG screen for replays etc hang by cables on a crane. The place was totally packed. Overcast day, massive banner. Sad day really.
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:49 pm

dillo_09 wrote:
What a day, or few weeks to be exact.

My Memories -
Building the MASSIVE run-through over a 2-3 week period - biggest ever in overall area. There has been taller and longer but not one that height and width. Would have been heaviest EVER also.
Carrying and Raising the banner - christ it was heavy. Not saying I did it by myself though.
Drinking on the steps of the social club all day.
Aftermatch in the social club - sad day on many levels
The after party in the wharehouse on Trennery crescent.
The headache the next day!!

Yep... One of my fondest memories... and how we shifted from place to place so that the media wouldn't catch on.... and yep how we thought abt what to do so that it wouldn't sag in the middle when raised.... faar out ... only past and present c/squad presidents and committee members where invited to build it and raise it!..... those were the days.... <3

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:55 pm
Post subject: Re: memories from Last Day at Victoria ParkReply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
xpunky bash wrote:

Two of her brothers played for Collingwood and Essendon, respectively, from 1971. They played against each other for the first time in round 3 of 1971 (Mike's third game for Collingwood and Hugh's first game for Essendon) in a drawn match. Hugh finished at Essendon in 1973 (he became a National Party politician and was in at least the Napthine Cabinet) but Mike played on at the 'Pies until the end of 1975, although Hugh played a few more senior games than Mike.

I seem to recall Mary wearing Collingwood colours on TV before one of our Grand Finals (most likely 1990) and mentioning that her brother Mike had played for us. I have a much more vivid recollection of John Jost wearing his Collingwood gear before the 1990 GF.

john jost is an avid pies man. from time to time, he used to take me to the footy with his boys when we were kids in the 80s.

melliot 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:11 pm
Post subject: Re: last day at Vic park 1999Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

I remember being pissed off at Matthews for not playing Monkhorst that day.

IIRC Tony Shaw's Prematch address was shown on a crane hung big screen for the last match at Viccy Park
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:00 pm

I remember them recreating the Denis Banks hit on Rhys Jones. Banksy punched out a dummy. I suspect they wouldn't be glorifying that sort of thing today.

I also remember the Lions players were taunting Bucks and saying "Finals footy, aye?" and laughing at him, because Bucks had said that he wanted to leave Brisbane to come to come to Collingwood to play finals footy.

I remember the wedding and thinking it that it was a bit tacky and that we got thumped and then the players had to sing our theme song on the ground after losing. All in all it was a pretty shit day.

But the celebration at Vic Park after the 1990 Grand Final win was fantastic.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Been a Great Thing to go to.

But I only Started to go to games Regularly in 2005 and I only been to 1 game before then in 2002

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:51 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Been a Great Thing to go to.

But I only Started to go to games Regularly in 2005 and I only been to 1 game before then in 2002

You really are a young un!
DTM you would have loved the glory days of Vic Park!
A bear pit for the opposition!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: