Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The gender pay gap

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
^ Do you have any evidence for any of the above claims, or is it all anecdotal?

What I described is exactly what is happening on mining sites. I have witnessed every point I stated.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:53 pm

^That wouldn't surprise because it's a classic 'macho' industry, but I can't see it being a bad thing. Standing back, that tokenism would still be fractional; the vivid examples you see just stick out in the mind because they can be so galling.

The shareholders could argue this: the full scope of the organisation, including the long run organisation, is far bigger than single job positions, and tweaking the gender mix will help enlargen the talent pool and help underwrite overall organisational quality. There is greater robustness and less group think in diversity, too. I can certainly guarantee you no reputable executive is going to publicly contradict that.

So, it can also be about future value. This is the part I mentioned above that people miss: present value is the wrong measurement, and it's certainly not where accountants and investors live. Planning, strategy and future return matter, so some of these decisions rightly live at that scale.

Also, as mentioned, demand is basic economics. So, if market demand wants a more balanced gender mix, that's what the market wants. You don't get to pick and choose market demand, and if you're in mining, which is captal intensive, investors are your key constituency because mining products don't really have direct consumer interfaces because they're largely (though maybe not entirely) transformed multiple times before they hit a consumer interface.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:11 am

My old mates at Roy Hill just copped another kick in the guts.

NPI Superintendent role was vacant. Long standing supervisor in the department had been seconded into the role and was the obvious choice for the position.
Nope. A young female has been appointed to the $250k+ role.

No experience in the position but will be carried along regardless.
The site has a 40/40/20 target to meet and, as long as Iron Ore is sold for the ridiculous price it continues to hold, that will be the goal.

* 40% male, 40% female, 20% 'other'.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:04 am

Quote:
The site has a 40/40/20 target to meet and, as long as Iron Ore is sold for the ridiculous price it continues to hold, that will be the goal.

Are you kidding, or do you expect us to seriously believe that?

If there is an actual quota, then I think you can argue the case for it either way. But I think it’s also pretty presumptuous to assume that the "younger female" wasn’t picked on merit. Longevity in a role isn’t everything, and perhaps someone with new perspectives is precisely what’s needed in that workplace.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:45 am

I'm tipping an explosion of miners suddenly identifying as non binary.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:55 am

if even a handful felt comfortable doing so in that kind of macho workplace, that would probably count as progress. But Skids is obviously taking the piss here.

In the meantime, forget 40% – even 20% female participation in mining would apparently be an improvement, per this article from 2020:

https://towards2030.thewest.com.au/closing-the-gender-gap-in-mining-and-construction/

Quote:
It’s no secret that mining and construction are male-dominated industries. You only have to drive past a construction site or visit a fly-in, fly-out dining room to notice the obvious gender imbalance at play, even today.

According to the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency, women currently make up a mere 16 per cent of the mining workforce in Australia.

I don't necessarily support 50/50 gender quotas. But when you have an imbalance like that, I can absolutely see the justification for seeking to increase the numbers of women in the workforce and prioritising female employment. There are various ways to do that, including putting out specific callouts for applications from women, making workplaces more friendly to women (including leave provisions for mothers) and even having an exclusive influx of female entry-level hires, as Metro Trains did a few years ago. But if industries are genuinely committed to becoming less male-dominated, then at some point they will presumably have to pick a female applicant over an equally or even better qualified male applicant for the same position, for better or for worse.

And it's worth thinking about why at least some of those more experienced men in the mining sector have gotten to where they are:

https://stockhead.com.au/resources/opportunities-abound-but-obstacles-persist-for-women-in-mining/

Quote:
By modern standards, the mining laws of years gone are archaic – a telling indicator of a gender imbalance in desperate need of a reset.

Written into legislation were restrictions which prevented women from setting foot in an underground mine – in Western Australia until 1986, and in Queensland and New South Wales until 1989.

Needless to say, sexism and discrimination in hiring weren't washed away the moment those laws changed in 1986. It's a long road from legislated discrimination to legislated non-discrimination to anything like equal opportunity.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:15 pm

^

You also need the actual work to be attractive to females, which by it's nature you'd expect it generally isn't.

Trades and Construction are also male dominated, Nursing and caring roles are female dominated.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:46 pm

Ít's an interesting question, and one I've wrestled with before – the fact that a given industry is dominated by one or the other gender may not necessarily be a bad thing, per se, and may at least to some extent just reflect preferences. It may have nothing to do with sexism or discrimination, which raises the question: are we trying to fix something that isn't broken to begin with?

One thing that's clear though is that many industries nowadays are seeking greater diversity because they see it as having various intrinsic benefits (say, the different perspectives and energy brought by diversity). And there's also the problem of missing out on quality candidates because something is perceived as "a job for men" or "a job for women" – in any industry that's perceived as male-dominated and unfriendly to women, there tends to be a self-selecting feedback loop: the more women you have, the more you inevitably get. It's the same with male early childhood educators. Lots of people aren't going to want to be the only man or the only woman in the room.

So yeah, I think aiming for 50/50 quotas is probably a bit more of an ideological goal than a practical one. But by the same token, it's not unreasonable to look at an industry with very low female participation like mining and construction and seek to structurally reform it, and the simplest method for doing that is by (however a company chooses to go about it) hiring and promoting more women.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:41 pm

Good summary. My view is that, to a degree, certain occupations appeal more to one gender than the other, but that becomes a bit self fulfilling.

I'm sure there has been women who in years gone by wanted to work in traditional male dominated fields, but few would have coped with the inherent sexism in a blokey workplace. Being the only bloke in a female workforce isn't much fun either, even if you're the boss. The bitchiness of women to each other is just draining for a bloke.

Setting 40-40-20 targets in mining has to be purely aspirational, especially considering that Gender diverse people wouldn't make up anywhere near 20% of general society, but yes, hiring and promoting women even at the expense of more suitable males is a way to get more women into the workforce .

Getting men into early childhood roles has it's own different challenges. While the employers would like more men it's often the parents who have concerns about men in that environment which makes it bloody uncomfortable for the male workers.

Also, from my time in public health, men made up a tiny minority of the Nursing workforce but the majority of middle and senior management and most of them were Nurses.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:51 pm

^ I think that's all fair enough.

On the middle section, I very seriously doubt that any workplace on Earth, short of a radical trans vegan zine stall in Brooklyn, has a specific employment quota for gender-non-confirming people (let alone 20%). Skids is either having a lend of us or just repeating some of the banter that goes on at work around affirmative-action hiring, which I think would tend to demonstrate the problem at hand if so.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:35 am

Skids, I know you must be handy with numbers given your penchant for betting odds, so I assume you're either being satirical here or you've hit the Bacardi 151 and pain killers at the same time Razz

Skids wrote:

Just a reminder of the non-binary data, which as the ABS shows is itself grossly inflated, if indeed inflating a fraction that small even matters:

The ABS on the 2021 Census wrote:
The non-binary sex option was marked on the Census form for 43,220 respondents or 0.17% of the Australian population. Analysis indicates this number is not indicative of any single characteristic. Responses show the concept of non-binary sex was not consistently understood and was perceived in different ways by different people. Results cannot be used as a measure of gender diversity, non-binary genders or trans populations. Additionally, it cannot be used as a measure for diverse sexualities, nor can it be interpreted as the number of people with variations of sex characteristics.

Respondents who selected the non-binary sex option in the online form were able to provide more information in a text box. Of those who marked non-binary sex, one third provided a text response. Examination of these responses provides partial insight into how respondents interpreted the question.

Of the one third of respondents who provided a write in response:

three in five indicated a gender identity using terms such as agender, demiboy, gender fluid, non-binary gender and trans woman
one in three repeated the question response option and wrote in ‘non-binary sex’
a small number indicated a sexual orientation using terms such as bisexual, gay, lesbian and pansexual
a very small number indicated a variation of sex characteristics term such as intersex or 47XXY/Klinefelter syndrome.

https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/analysis-non-binary-sex-responses

As an aside, can you imagine that a third or more of the US is so dim, the 'transexualisation' of society keeps it awake at night Rolling Eyes

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:08 pm

The gender pay gap is not the main issue. The main issue is the class pay gap.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:19 pm

^

yep, like why meat bombs on a construction site with a double digit IQ get paid double what Nurses get and triple what Early Years Educators get

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:31 pm

Intersectionality folks, intersectionality.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:20 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

yep, like why meat bombs on a construction site with a double digit IQ get paid double what Nurses get and triple what Early Years Educators get

See way too many young female standing around doing SFA at entrances to construction sites - usually on their phones or dragging on an e-cig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: