Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you sad today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys.

It's difficult because we're all wired differently.

Talking to mates is good for me, they still take the piss out of me regardless and I can have a laugh... that method obviously wouldn't work for some.

Sitting down, talking to a 'stranger/counsellor' isn't going to help me, I find those situations make me upset.

Steady day today. The grandkids will be here shortly and We'll be getting in the back of the newly decked out van for a trip to school, they're very excited about that!... don't worry it's a short 800m drive from my place to the primary school.

Then my plan is to just give the van a final check over before they head off tomorrow. Make sure I've got those water and waste tanks nice and secure and check all the plumbing joints.

I do like cooking so after the van thing I'm heading off to Gilberts Markets (great fresh produce) to get some things for their farewell feed with us. Salmon with some fancy salads I'll find recipes for on the net and that'll pretty much be me for the day.

I'm just going to try and carry on as close to normal as I can. I mean, 3 months ago I had this cancer and I was swimming 10k's a week. 12 months ago it was there and I was running half marathons. Nothings really changed except I know it's there now.... and the surgeon telling me not to do anything too strenuous.

I just want to get a date for the operation and head back to work (next Wednesday) to get a swing or 2 in before then.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:24 pm

firstly, hats off to you, even just sharing here. Unfortunately, ive known too many people with cancer, and the males mostly don't share their fear. Same as for depression, and the 2 can go hand in hand. talk. cry. yell if you need. You should be so proud of yourself for these posts. If anyone else here, god forbid but the stats are bad, also gets bad news, you will be a bloody fine example to them.

2ndly, breathe. and if you need to wallow occasionally, thats ok too. Its like grieving and in a way it is, you're grieving the loss of that wonderful "im healthy" carefree feeling. But its great you picked yourself up and gave yourself a talking to too.

Hopefully the op is asap, so you can get back to living fully.

chin up mate, but it sounds like your doing an awesome job so far xxx

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:00 pm

^ hear hear. Couldn't have put it better.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:15 am

You're in good company looking at the responses above, Skids. Keep that calm, positive rhythm going. Your accumulated fitness sounds like it will hold you in good stead. (My damned inflammatory arthritis has hammered my fitness, so I try to compensate by resting more than I used to).

We're all here for the debrief (not to be confused with de-brief, as in removing your undies!).

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:33 pm

Ok, so got contacted this afternoon. Appointment with the actual surgeon is on Tuesday morning 0900 WST.
Should have an idea of the plan then, which will be great!

Weekend should go quick. Hayes has a Friday evening Auskick game, last week he got handed number 38 and was stoked "I'm Howie Grandad!"

Saturday I'll make my first trip down to Bassendean Oval for the season to watch Swans play Claremont, then the Pies Sunday.

I really hope I can sneak a swing (8 days) in at work (go up the day after the appointment) as I have a new (female) trainee starting with me from the local mob. She already works on-site with the exploration team (last 12 months) but is keen to get out with the Site services team.

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:55 pm

Hope it all goes well for you Skids...👍💪
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:58 am

^ Likewise, Skids 💪
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:56 pm

Cheers peeps Smile

Hospital have been great. One of the docs rang me this morning... was all apologetic for ringing on a Sunday, but he wanted to let me know the recent biopsy confirmed that it's a low grade chondrosarcoma in the trachea.
They'll be discussing my case at their meeting tomorrow and I will have a definite plan advised on Tuesday.
Quizzed him as to when he thinks the op could be and he said it should be in 2 - 3 weeks.

Rang work and they're happy for me to go back Wednesday and just take it easy. Showing the new trainee around and doing a bit of work at the aerodrome will be my main focus. They've been really supportive and in regular contact too, which has been great. Being around my crazy work mates will be good medicine.

The mind has been playing games with me again but talking about it with Kelly and friends soon gets me back in a more positive frame of mind. The Pies winning the whole time this has been going on has also given me an emotional lift.

Primary malignant tracheal tumors account for only 0.2 % of all malignancies of the respiratory tract. Tracheal chondrosarcoma (TCS) is an extremely rare condition, with just 17 cases described in the English literature.

https://cardiothoracicsurgery.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13019-016-0498-8

Since 1965, only 17 cases of TCS have been described, with a male to female ratio of 8:1 and a median age of 65 years, ranging between 32 and 87 years .... more chance of winning powerball and lotto in the same week, lucky me Rolling Eyes

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:17 pm

Good luck mate, stay positive.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:54 pm

Stay strong, Skids, and don't be afraid to ask for support from those closest to you.

Good to see the club is giving you an emotional lift.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:25 pm

Ok, so I have a date (tentative) for the operation, June 6th.

Dr Sader was very informative in our consultation. He did explain that there is a little bit of an unknown and won't be 100% certain of everything until I'm on the table.

Will definitely lose one vocal chord (voice will be quieter and husky) and half of my thyroid, there's a slim chance I could lose both vocal chords, although he said that was highly unlikely and he would do everything he can to prevent that. There are 2 options he has with my trachea, one is like a patch job on the one side where the tumour is. That will require part of my right ear for a cartilage patch job.
The other is a total section cut out, that's the option where I 'could' lose both vocal chords.

Hospital stay will be between 1 and 2 weeks, depending on the above.

So best case scenario is I come out with an ear like Holyfield singing like Joe Cocker.
Worst case scenario is my voice and any chance at Australian Idol is gone.

He reckons 3 months off work Maximum.
I've spoken to my bosses and they'll cover me for time off, which is a huge relief.

I'm feeling fine with that, he gave me some confidence in the conversation, I'm not guna die anytime soon and we've got a plan.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:53 pm

In the circumstances very good news Skids. 👍
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:59 pm

Great stuff Skids, and great to see you've still got your sense of humour.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:59 pm

Cheers peeps.

Gota keep smiling Stui, my supervisor said I'll have a new nickname now.... Chopper Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:17 pm

Tell the doc to at least keep some of the top part of the ear, otherwise your glasses will be lopsided. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 67 of 70   

Jump to: