Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you sad today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially there was to be a media release from VicPol within 30 minutes but it never eventuated.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
The question isn’t about whether the police knew, it’s about whether the media knew. For better or for worse, news outlets tend to rush to report as soon as they have any information, and (if they’re being responsible) early headlines will tend to err on the side of caution. I think very little of some of these outlets in general, but even I find it utterly implausible that they would have gone with the "NRL star dies" headline if it had already been conclusively established that he’d murdered his family.

Yeah, I saw an article basically about the evolution of a news story, how it goes through the stages as more info comes to light.

You're correct in your assumption

Quote:
The murder of Hannah Clarke and her three children —Aaliyah, Laianah, and Trey — are such deviations from the norm that we desperately try to rationalise the event.

We blame the monster, rather than the man — Rowan Baxter — and the society that allowed these murders to unfold.

The morning of Wednesday February 19, Hannah was taking her children to school when Baxter, her former husband, lit the car on fire and took his own life. No-one survived.

Devastatingly, these murders and what has been revealed to have occurred in the lead-up is all too common.

The truth is that Hannah had left her former husband late last year, which for many victims of family violence, is the time when the risk of violence escalates.

In the very human attempt to make "sense of the senseless" as one editor remarked, this story became about the "demon Dad", the "rugby star", the "picture perfect" family photos and the horrific scene of the crime.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-21/rowan-baxter-hannah-clarke-monster-myth-in-domestic-violence/11986976

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:14 am

David wrote:
The question isn’t about whether the police knew, it’s about whether the media knew. For better or for worse, news outlets tend to rush to report as soon as they have any information, and (if they’re being responsible) early headlines will tend to err on the side of caution. I think very little of some of these outlets in general, but even I find it utterly implausible that they would have gone with the "NRL star dies" headline if it had already been conclusively established that he’d murdered his family.

Even that NRL star headline was completely wrong.

He played in one trial game for Auckland I believe.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:45 am

^ Yeah, we all know how that one works. If Danny Roach was arrested for jaywalking you can bet the Herald Sun would run with "AFL star faces legal troubles".
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:55 pm

Had to take my nearly 84 year old mum to the vet today to have her 19 year old Soxy cat put to sleep today - it was her time. It was a lovely peaceful way to leave this earth but still it’s very very hard Crying or Very sad
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:16 pm

never an easy thing to do, and the fact that its a bloody good innings doesnt help much right now, sorry for your loss but happy She had someone to help Her gently. cheers xxx
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:53 am

Sorry to hear Morrigu, Our pets are our family.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:06 am

Sad news. Sorry to hear that, Morrigu.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:23 pm

RIP Soxy cat Sad
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:43 pm

Sorry to hear Morrigu.

Never easy losing a pet.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:52 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Had to take my nearly 84 year old mum to the vet today to have her 19 year old Soxy cat put to sleep today - it was her time. It was a lovely peaceful way to leave this earth but still it’s very very hard Crying or Very sad

The first time I read that, I missed the bit about the cat and read the vet had put your mum to sleep, which gave me a serious WTF moment.

Sorry about the cat, 19 years is a bloody good innings.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:35 pm

^ Laughing Mum did suggest it to her Shocked
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Had to take Mum into care yesterday. A huge mix of sadness and relief. The last 18-14 months have been huge. Mrs WPT and I are both exhausted.

Unfortunately for her, she's in many respects very sharp, bright and together. If you had a coffee with her you woudn't know anything was up, two coffees and you'd start to think perhaps something's not right. Three coffees and you've had too many coffees.

Her language skills were always very good and she performs well on mini mental examinations. She knows how to fill in the gaps well so unassuming others don't have a clue including her GP & the services coming into her place including her cleaner and those who are meant to take her out / spend time.

The GP learnt through our intervention and she would become furious at me when I would point out the things she would gloss over when talking to professional service providers like her GP etc.

So I'm persona non grata as is Mrs WPT and brother who does nuffink and hasn't seen her in a year is either being brainwashed by me or is wonderson. Still I give it to him for his lack of assistance given he's retired and I still work full time (he does live 90 minutes aways and I live 5 mintes away)

Still seeing how things are going to pan out as there is a hellofalottodo to sort out placments, funding and coordination of this stuff during the coronavirus era.

As I was typing this Mum just called and was surprizingly settled: who knows what's going on! But that was a vast improvement from the "you'll pay a heavy price for this" that I copped when she was being taken to her temporary new place yesterday.

Not nice getting (very) old.

Hard as she is an impressive woman who:

Had 3 kids by 22
Managed to survive through WW2 and get through Nazi Poland to Stalin's Poland then the USSR in 1939 /1940 largely due to the efforts of her parents and my father (and avoid concentration camps where most of her & his family were murdered).
Do the equivalent of year 10 in a Displaced Person camp in Gemany post War
Migrate to Australia in 1950 with her family and My Dad, hatch 3 kids
Work at the Sydney Cooke nail factory not long after she first arrived.

Over time she:

*Did a secretarial / book keeping courses
*A beauty therapy course
*Ran a mini marathon in her 50's
*Go & do TOP English and Australian History
*Get into Uni in her late 50's early 60's while working FT
*Do a BA then honours
*Got into Law at Monsah and study law while working as a switchboard operator at a hospital for over 25 years
*Paint (she was very good at drawing and painting)
*Wrote a book on climate change (unpublished)
*Be involved in Rotary including in office bearing positions
*Teach and be a mentor at a local Community School for a short period (with kids who can't manage at mainstream schools)
* Visit a lot of elderly people, keeping them company (she was a very generous woman)
* Teach at the University of the 3rd Age
* Be a member of a political party in a local branch
* Climb / Trek Anapurna in Nepal in her late 60's ? early 70's
......amongst other things

Sad

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:58 pm

Virtual hugs mate, no it’s not easy, at least I have practice with the parent in question being an absolute prick to me! To be honest these last 2 weeks is the nicest I’ve ever seen him. Dad spent just over a month in Warrnambool base hospital, I managed to convince him to go into a nursing home and got him a place in the luxury joint where my FIL is. I think he finally realised he needs people. It’s been a long 2 weeks, your right the paperwork is a nightmare!

Cheers mate, don’t feel guilty though it’s hard not too, very lucky if a loved one remains healthy enough or lucid enough to stay home. For the rest of us the decision is out of our hands.

Well done to your mum, that’s a legendary life xx

Last edited by think positive on Wed May 06, 2020 11:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 48 of 70   

Jump to: