Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What chances Laverde?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Breadcrawl wrote:
My dad once had a 70s Valiant that he turned into a tractor.

True story.

These days when people are looking at buying a tractor I just say, "nah bro, just go out and get yourself a 70s Valiant, an angle grinder and a welder.".

Photo require. I'm trying to visualise this and can't.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
Billy Morrison

You missed the adjective preceding the adjective preceding the noun:

A good big man is always better than a good small man Wink

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:48 pm

Defender wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
If Laverde goes at 4 then I'm happy to take Wright at 5.

Good big men are far harder to find and with the evenness of this years draft a good midfield prospect will still be available at 30.

We've taken all of Adams, Broomhead, Freeman and Kennedy over the last 2 seasons so I don't think taking a midfielder is such a high priority as some seem to feel.

None of those players mentioned scream elite mid to me, there's nothing to suggest any of em will be the next Pendles-Swan ATM, shit, even Shazza and Freeman have massive ?s over them.

"Massive" question marks? Settle down.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Podpicken wrote:
Defender wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
If Laverde goes at 4 then I'm happy to take Wright at 5.

Good big men are far harder to find and with the evenness of this years draft a good midfield prospect will still be available at 30.

We've taken all of Adams, Broomhead, Freeman and Kennedy over the last 2 seasons so I don't think taking a midfielder is such a high priority as some seem to feel.

None of those players mentioned scream elite mid to me, there's nothing to suggest any of em will be the next Pendles-Swan ATM, shit, even Shazza and Freeman have massive ?s over them.

"Massive" question marks? Settle down.

Freeman did 3 Hammies last year, one was bad, for an 18 year old that's not great.

Shazza was a mile off senior selection before he did his knee, best case scenario for him is a senior debut in 2016, and even then he'll probably take a year to find his feet again.

I don't need to settle down, you need to face the facts.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:57 pm

A photo would take a fair bit of effort as I am estranged from my family.

But the tale is legit.

He welded up the chassis and the bucket, and used a 225 cubic inch slant six engine from a valiant and the associated gearbox. I think reverse was flucked in the box, he rigged it up so he could reverse the drive to the diff so the thing could go through all gears in both directions.

He, my brother and I pulled a shiteload of trees out of the ground with it, and he liked to push dirt around into mounds with it. Sometimes the mounds even had a purpose. He built a couple of dams.

To visualise, the chassis was very simple and made of 100x75 box section steel if I recall correctly. The bucket was angle iron and treadplate. It was all very rudimentary, but very effective. The bucket was hydraulic (stolen from something - a forklift?) but to empty it you pulled a simple mechanical cable, and it had to be set back 'up' manually.

One year I came home for Christmas and he had a hand-me-down from a neighbouring farm that was an actual tractor. The bespoke unit was parked under a tree.

I was sad.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:19 pm

From BF re Wright:

Ian Kyte (Calder Cannons talent manager) thought very highly of Wright and I quote 'his kicking is absolutely elite. It's a huge feature of his game and there aren't many better kicks than him around'.

From the poster I quoted the above from: That is a big wrap on the big kid, fast, agile, tank, and has elite foot skills...

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:05 am

FWIW:

At this point in time and of course acknowledging that draft picking is like picking your nose - sometimes you get a winner & the more experience you have the better the chances are of getting that winner:

Snoop Dog said he would be staggered if Wright made it to #5 & Knightmare has indicated he would go with Wright at 5.

Paige whatever the surname is reckons that:

"I think Wright is an excellent mark in all aspects. 10 of his 50 marks this year have been contested. With his height and weight, he should probably have a higher contested mark ratio, however, his strong engine allows him to burn off his opponents and take marks uncontested. As aforementioned his leading patterns are smart and, alongside his engine, makes Wright a really intelligent and athletic forward. That makes Wright a really rare forward, as his size, endurance and intelligence gives him a chance to become one of the most unstoppable and versatile big men"

Who knows?

In terms of mids for #5 & apart from Lavede, Ahern looks pretty skilled too.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:07 pm

If Laverde goes at 4 I'll be somewhat disappointed if we pass on Wright at 5.

Given he was in the mix for pick 1 earlier in the year and is still seen as one of the "big 4" of the draft it will be a somewhat puzzling decision.

If we pass on Wright then Hine will want to hope like hell that he doesn't evolve into one of the games best forwards or the player taken instead of him becomes Pendlebury elite.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:22 pm

swoop42 wrote:
If Laverde goes at 4 I'll be somewhat disappointed if we pass on Wright at 5.

Given he was in the mix for pick 1 earlier in the year and is still seen as one of the "big 4" of the draft it will be a somewhat puzzling decision.

If we pass on Wright then Hine will want to hope like hell that he doesn't evolve into one of the games best forwards or the player taken instead of him becomes Pendlebury elite.

I'll be happy with either Laverde or Wright. As each day goes by I'm warming more to the notion of drafting the big fella Wright, even though I've been pushing for Laverde. Thank you Beams for gifting us pick 5.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:18 pm

IF Wright is there at 5 he would be best avaliable
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
A photo would take a fair bit of effort as I am estranged from my family.

But the tale is legit.

He welded up the chassis and the bucket, and used a 225 cubic inch slant six engine from a valiant and the associated gearbox. I think reverse was flucked in the box, he rigged it up so he could reverse the drive to the diff so the thing could go through all gears in both directions.

He, my brother and I pulled a shiteload of trees out of the ground with it, and he liked to push dirt around into mounds with it. Sometimes the mounds even had a purpose. He built a couple of dams.

To visualise, the chassis was very simple and made of 100x75 box section steel if I recall correctly. The bucket was angle iron and treadplate. It was all very rudimentary, but very effective. The bucket was hydraulic (stolen from something - a forklift?) but to empty it you pulled a simple mechanical cable, and it had to be set back 'up' manually.

One year I came home for Christmas and he had a hand-me-down from a neighbouring farm that was an actual tractor. The bespoke unit was parked under a tree.

I was sad.

Goddamn, you reckon he could build me a bobcat?

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:31 pm

Write would right the forward line for a very long time.

he would also answer the question "does Reid play forward or back"
and KPPs with elite kicking and endurance make passing on such
talent, nonsensical.

an elite mid gives us less trade potential as we all know now
and taking two KPPs in the one draft sets us up for more potential
on and off the field.

derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Hate to be the guy who sums this whole thing up in a few words...but at this point we can only say that "anything is possible and nothing is certain".

Lets say tomorrow we hear that all the other clubs ahead of us say that they are not going to draft say christian petracca....fantastic..we can have him at pick 5. Does this mean he will be a star? No, the draft does not work that way. Some bloke who we never heard of at pick.35 could become the steal of the draft in five or six years time....we just can not say. I am sure Collingwood (and fans) were rapt in 2004 when we got Chris Egan at pick.10

How much does the club in question have a say in a player "becoming a star". Lets say in 2005 that Daisy had gone to Hawthorn ..can we say for sure that he would have become the player he did?...in the same context...if Scott Gumbleton had gone to say Brisbane...might we now be talking about a player who is an out and out star?

To be honest, i leave this whole thing up to the club to choose who we take...and good luck to them....only in five years time we the ability of hindsight can we say we either got it right or wrong.

On the March 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:35 pm

^^ Spoilsport Smile
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:53 pm

On the March wrote:
^^ Spoilsport Smile

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy *bows to you* glad i could be of service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: