Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Phantom Draft 5.0

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ23 wrote:
I heard that leverde slip in draft range was due to his testing. He was carrying an injury

I see. It seems that a lot of these young guys carried an injury into the combine.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Presti35 wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
I heard that leverde slip in draft range was due to his testing. He was carrying an injury

I see. It seems that a lot of these young guys carried an injury into the combine.

Maybe they trained at the Westpac Centre in the lead up to the combine?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:29 pm

MJ23 wrote:

Pick 5: Collingwood – Jayden Laverde

Position: Midfielder
Height: 190 cm, Weight: 82 kg, DOB: 12/04/1996
Club: Western Jets
Projected draft range 6-20
Plays like: Scott Pendlebury

One of the most exciting players of the draft with arguably the best highlights reel, Laverde is blessed with traits AFL clubs struggle to find across two or three players, let alone have them all in one. The epitome of an athletic and speedy midfielder who can play every position well, Laverde is a sublime mover. He glides through the wings with poise and speed, and loves to cut through congestion with long strides where he can burst out from a contested situation and run the ball. Laverde is another tall midfielder with a thumping yet accurate kick, and is one of the more damaging players available in this year’s draft. His agility and almost arrogant sidestep means he dances around opponents with ease. Laverde has shown a propensity to take the game on and is a natural goal kicker, whether from a set shot or on the run. His disposal efficiency ranks among the elite in the AFL, and he’s been known to fly for a few hangers throughout his journey, coupling a distinct x-factor with an already impressive skill set. He loves the ball in his hands. He is often the instigator in attacking forays, and has the rare ability to swing momentum into his team’s favour. His versatility is highly favoured, but he looks his best playing through the midfield or on a wing. That being said, he can just as easily be sent to rest forward or back. where he can use his strong marking game and elite endurance to cut games open.

Player update: A quad complaint leading into the National Draft combine meant that he wasn’t able to partake in physical testing.

Quad issue apparently
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Because he is injured he will be picked for sure. :p
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:08 am

Because a few others are unlikely to last to pick 30 I'd actually be happy with Laverde, McLean, and Langdon. Builds the midfield and provides a couple of x-factor forward types.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:56 am

I'm excited at the prospect of us drafting Laverde, but wondered what are the chances someone else will pick him before our pick 5?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:15 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm excited at the prospect of us drafting Laverde, but wondered what are the chances someone else will pick him before our pick 5?

Every chance, wouldn't surprise to see Melbourne take 2x mids instead of a mid and a KPP. Would mean that either of the predicted top 4 KPPs would slide through to us. Not sure it's a need now that we've got Moore but would definitely be hard to overlook.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:38 am

^Lose Clark and Frawley and have yet to get Hogan on the park and they're picking two mids?

Salem, Tyson, Vince all added last year too.

themonk 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:49 am

Albert Parker wrote:
^Lose Clark and Frawley and have yet to get Hogan on the park and they're picking two mids?

Agree, what does concern me is GWS, they may pick the next best mid (in Laverde) & then select the left over talls after us.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Albert Parker wrote:

Just looking at needs based options. Got killed in the midfield all season and it appears they'll be missing Trengove for a while. Vince and Cross nearing the end.

At a minimum, tall forward options are the least of their needs. Got Hogan, Watts, Dawes, Dunn, Pederson, and Howe, as well as 4x ruck/forwards in Jamar, Spencer, Gawn, and Fitzpatrick. Thats without even considering King, another ruck/forward on the rookie list.

Bit thinner for KPD or 3rd tall defenders although Dunn, Garland, McDonald proved to be pretty handy. Howe seems to have settled at HB. Pedersen could be developed there. Watts may develop into a defensive sweeper.

Therefore, neither McCartin or Wright fill an immediate need. Moore (and they can't have him), Lever or Durdin better suited. So they either grab a lesser rated option KPD, or grab a couple of mids and wait till pick 40 and grab a remaining KPD.

May well grab either McCartin or Wright, but the alternatives not as ridiculous as they sound.

Last edited by jackcass on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
roar 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:20 pm

Doesn't concern me. I'd be just as happy to grab Wright.
themonk 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 pm

roar wrote:
Doesn't concern me. I'd be just as happy to grab Wright.

True, but I'd prefer an elite mid as I believe we may have an opportunity to get Cameron next season.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:35 pm

jackcass wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

Just looking at needs based options. Got killed in the midfield all season and it appears they'll be missing Trengove for a while. Vince and Cross nearing the end.

At a minimum, tall forward options are the least of their needs. Got Hogan, Watts, Dawes, Dunn, Pederson, and Howe, as well as 4x ruck/forwards in Jamar, Spencer, Gawn, and Fitzpatrick. Thats without even considering King, another ruck/forward on the rookie list.

Bit thinner for KPD or 3rd tall defenders although Dunn, Garland, McDonald proved to be pretty handy. Howe seems to have settled at HB. Pedersen could be developed there. Watts may develop into a defensive sweeper.

Therefore, neither McCartin or Wright fill an immediate need. Moore (and they can't have him), Lever or Durdin better suited. So they either grab a lesser rated option KPD, or grab a couple of mids and wait till pick 40 and grab a remaining KPD.

May well grab either McCartin or Wright, but the alternatives not as ridiculous as they sound.

Has the 2004 draft taught you nothing? Razz

Melbourne would be insane to take two midfielders especially when McCartin or even Wright or Lever are on offer.

The only way I see Melbourne taking two midfielders is if Petracca doesn't go pick 1.

Even then I'd bypass Brayshaw in preference for a tall.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:53 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

While he would be my preference I don't think Laverde is even enough of a clear cut choice at pick 5 to be to worried about him going at 4.

He wont go top 3 IMHO.

If GWS believe that taking Laverde at 4 is some type of strategic selection that will see them still land Wright at 6 I think they might be sorely mistaken.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:01 pm

swoop42 wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

Has the 2004 draft taught you nothing? Razz

Melbourne would be insane to take two midfielders especially when McCartin or even Wright or Lever are on offer.

The only way I see Melbourne taking two midfielders is if Petracca doesn't go pick 1.

Even then I'd bypass Brayshaw in preference for a tall.

Aware of all that. My point was that it's absolutely useless having Dawes, Hogan, Wright/McCartin, Fitzpatrick/Spencer/Jamar/Gawn, Pedersen roaming the F50 if the ball isn't getting there because you're being smashed in the midfield. It'd be suicide to try and cram 5 KPF types into there anyway. So they'd essentially be commiting pick 2 or 3 to a long term development position

Lose McDonald however and they're really screwed, he's the only real KPD they've got. Done well to groom Dune into a quasi KPD, Garland is undersized but can hold his own, it's all down hill from there. Did mention that either Lever or Durdin better match their needs but it'd be unrealistic to expect either to come into the side and contain a Cloke or a Hawkins type KPF. Couldn't believe the Dees weren't working harder to land Jaksch from GWS for this very reason. Frost helps, nearly forgot about him.

Just my opinion, but I don't see either Wright or McCartin as being critical to their needs, especially in the short term, and they definitely need to turn things around pretty quickly. To me, that makes their midfield a higher priority. Time will tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: