Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pick 5

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

magpieazza wrote:
Just a prediction ....I think Leverde will be gone before us and we will be left with Wright/ others to ponder on.

I want Brayshaw or Leverde.

I'm hoping Brayshaw then Laverde assuming Wright is not available. I suspect Brayshaw won't be available either.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:06 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
If that's an accurate appraisal of Wright, shared by sensible recruiting staff, he couldn't possibly last to pick 5, could he?

With GWS losing Boyd I'd imagine Wright is a lock-in for them.

I'm hoping Brayshaw slides to 5 but I don't think that'll happen.

The Boyd deal is great for us (those of us who don't want a tall, anyway). It means that the Giants might be interested in a tall. Not as sure as you because they still have Patton and Cameron, but it's more likely now than before.

If McCartin and Wright both go top 4, then there's a good chance one of Petracca (almost no chance) or Brayshaw (more likely) will drop. I think it very unlikely that Laverde goes top 4.

As I keep saying though, the draft is almost 6 weeks away. Far too early to be talking about the top 4 as a lock. We currently have very little idea of who the clubs actually want, all analysis is outsiders giving their view. By draft time the supposed consensus top 4 could be quite different. It was last year.

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:52 pm

It won't help us IMO that the team with pick 4 has pick 6 and 7.

They've gotta expect that we are after a mid.

I can see Wright sliding to their pick 6 myself.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Laverde went Top 4

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:25 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
If that's an accurate appraisal of Wright, shared by sensible recruiting staff, he couldn't possibly last to pick 5, could he?

With GWS losing Boyd I'd imagine Wright is a lock-in for them.

I'm hoping Brayshaw slides to 5 but I don't think that'll happen.

The Boyd deal is great for us (those of us who don't want a tall, anyway). It means that the Giants might be interested in a tall. Not as sure as you because they still have Patton and Cameron, but it's more likely now than before.

If McCartin and Wright both go top 4, then there's a good chance one of Petracca (almost no chance) or Brayshaw (more likely) will drop. I think it very unlikely that Laverde goes top 4.

As I keep saying though, the draft is almost 6 weeks away. Far too early to be talking about the top 4 as a lock. We currently have very little idea of who the clubs actually want, all analysis is outsiders giving their view. By draft time the supposed consensus top 4 could be quite different. It was last year.

GCS also lost Giles. Boyd & Giles to my mind = Wright as a replacement & as my local Lebanese take away owner used to say after I placed an order:"and why not?"

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:27 pm

I think GWS would be dumb not to take who they rate the highest at 4.

If they take Laverde as a strategic selection no way could they be certain Collingwood don't just then go best available and that will probably end up being Wright or if Melbourne pull a minor surprise McCartin.

No way they could really be sure Laverde is who we are after anyway.

I think we should be mindful also that Hine and SOS might view Laverde totally differently to how most of us the supporters do at present and not consider him the obvious 5th best player of this draft.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:29 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
It won't help us IMO that the team with pick 4 has pick 6 and 7.

They've gotta expect that we are after a mid.

I can see Wright sliding to their pick 6 myself.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Laverde went Top 4

Do we go for the best available?

If it should happen that both Wright & Laverde are available by pick 5 & if Wright is considered much "higher" than Laverde (unique for his size, great leading fwd target, great mark & shot for goal) who then do we pick?

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:10 pm

^^In other than extreme circumstances we should always take the best available.

I'd prefer a mid but if the best player remaining is a tall, we take him. It's not like we couldn't do with another tall forward developing with Moore.

Az 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:07 am

After the loss of Boyd and Jaksh, you'd bet GWS are after another tall, forcing them to go for Wright. Surely they are set for mids for the next 10 years assuming they can keep them. I am really loving the sound of Leverde coming to the Pies as I feel those tough insiders like Brayshaw are what we have a surplus of at the moment with Adams, Thomas, Greenwood. I can totally see Melbourne stuffing it up for us and taking Leverde along with McCartin, as they are also in serious need of a creative midfielder with excellent disposal rather than an insider.

Fingers crossed for Laverde.
Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:11 am

All of Elliot, Benken, Broomhead, Freeman should be up and running in our midfield before any mid we take this year so I don't think it much matters, if Wright fell you would take him.

People don't seem to correlate very well..... a deficiency in the midfield currently will not likely be fixed by taking a mid this year
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:37 am

Museman wrote:
All of Elliot, Benken, Broomhead, Freeman should be up and running in our midfield before any mid we take this year so I don't think it much matters, if Wright fell you would take him.

People don't seem to correlate very well..... a deficiency in the midfield currently will not likely be fixed by taking a mid this year

Totally agree. The powers that be must get a laugh out of this forum sometimes - if they read it, that is.

Az 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:02 am

Podpicken wrote:
Museman wrote:

Totally agree. The powers that be must get a laugh out of this forum sometimes - if they read it, that is.

Who exactly are they laughing about? I don't see anyone here suggesting a draft pick this year is going to solve our problems straight away. But it's certainly going to help in a few years when we are supposedly supposed to challenge.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:09 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^In other than extreme circumstances we should always take the best available.

I'd prefer a mid but if the best player remaining is a tall, we take him. It's not like we couldn't do with another tall forward developing with Moore.

gault.

outside of delistings and career ending injuries, we don't have too many players in the "about to retire" bracket. do we have adequate cover to backfill those who are going to backfill or replace those near to dropping off the list?

MJ23 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:43 am

watt price tully wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
cityslick1 wrote:
I like the look of laverde. Maybe too similar to sharenberg and Langdon, but maybe it's not bad to have a few of these types in your team. You wouldn't say no to having two Goddards and a fyfe in the same side.

Have a feeling that hine might want one of brayshaw or McCartin tho, the way he's talking about swapping picks around. I think he wants a top 3 to hopefully snare the Big Mac and sure up our tall forwards for the next 10 years.

If McCartin or wright fell through to five I'd think we would take them.

At this stage Petrecca, Brayshaw, Wright, McCartin would be the top 4 picks.

So for us it's of Leverde, ahern, Goddard, Durdin or maybe a Picket / Weller.
I don't want Weller, he's another qlder who wants to play with his bro.

Ahern is a lot like Kennedy who needs the game time.
Durdin and Goddard have had injuries and need development.

I like Leverde. - looks a "Bontemtelli " type. Has a lot of things we need in marking ability, height run and carry with a bit of x-factor.

Weller's brother plays for the Saints (currently) just signed a 2 yr contract I think.

Hi. Yes he does.
Yet what I said is still right. He currently is a qlder and has has stated he would love to play with his bro.
Wether he leaves to go to GC or saints he still leaves.

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:38 pm

I never said we would solve our problems next year with our pick 5.

We have taken Moore at 8. If we take a tall at 5 then we've taken two talls with our two top picks. We also have Witts, Grundy, Brown, Reid, Frost, Gault Marsh all under 25 and Cloke at 27. Our squad going forward is not short on tall players to the extent that we'd be taking two talls with our best picks.

Swan is nearly gone, Thomas, Wellingham, Beams have been lost, there are plenty of great players coming through in the mids but we need more and we need cream in there and that is what we should be taking with pick 5.

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:41 pm

And Keeffe.

And White.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: