Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Am i right that there is a clear top 4 and then the rest?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
Crazy to think that we're getting two bites of the top 5 (or 6) cherry. I'm dreaming of two superstars like Pendles and Daisy or Buddy and Roughy. Even getting one right like Reiwoldt and Kosy would be pretty good.

If we somehow end up with pick 3 and Petracca slips to us, then I predict he and Moore will be better than any pair you've mentioned. Shocked
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:49 pm

When a guy taken at pick #28 wins the rising star
I call that a pretty open draft
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:50 pm

swoop42 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
I think it's too early to talk about there being a clear top 4. Perceptions usually change in the last few weeks once journos start to work out who the clubs actually like. Right now it's mostly external analysis.

In terms of talent the draft is actually seen as stronger and deeper than last year's.

It is more even between 5 to 15, 16 to 25 so overall would be stronger and deeper but to me no one who's likely to be there at 5 comes with the same resume of Aish or Scharenberg of last season.

And who's to say there is not a clear number 5 this year? There wasn't last year. Neither Bontempelli or KK were considered top 5 till late. Their late emergence is the reason for the slide of Scharenberg and Aish, both who were just as certain to be top 4-5 a month or two out as this year's class. If the same thing happened again and the value of a Lamb or Pickett lifted, then you could have a Brayshaw or a Wright slide and there's your clear number 5.

I really don't see the difference. It just now remains to be seen if we again have a couple of bolters. Because we only considered Aish and Scharenberg to be great gets because they were previously considered to be top 4 talents but slid. Who knows, maybe the 2014 slide is just around the corner.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:13 pm

KK was a Clayton special and suited there needs best I assume.

Our best hope to see this kind of thing occur again is for GWS to retain pick 4.

Like Gold Coast they have the luxury of being able to go for whatever they really like given the amount of young talent they've had access to.

For example they have Cameron, Boyd, Patton and McCarthy.

The dogs would be happy with one of them so if they get pick 4 you can be sure it'll be Wright as the best needs based selection. If he's gone then you'd think it would be Brayshaw as the most likely best available.

Perhaps just perhaps I could see GWS passing on a Wright or Brayshaw if they thought someone else was a better needs based selection rather than best available.

Not quite sure how Bontempelli became such a late draft bolter given the combine and U18 competition finished months prior to it.

Why wasn't he all the rage then?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:19 pm

The only ones who rate the draft picks according to media opinion is the Carlton recruiting team and look how well they've done.

Every club will have a list of players in order of the priority they give them from 1 to lots and I'd lay $100 that no way all 18 clubs have the same list of players in the same order.

Even when clubs trot out the "best available" line, what constitutes the best is subjective according to a clubs needs.

We'll have a list, we'll pick who we do.

For mine, Greenwood and Crisp solve 1 problem (Assuming that trade goes ahead) of big bodied midfielders, Varcoe is outside speed in a ready to go body. These all give us several years, so I'd go with pick 5 for the best pure midfielder we can get, we have plenty of grunt now to protect them.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:21 pm

^^I suspect he wasn't and that some clubs had him high on their lists for a while, it just took time for the media to cotton on.
Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:05 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^I suspect he wasn't and that some clubs had him high on their lists for a while, it just took time for the media to cotton on.

^This.

The best recruiters keep their secrets all the way to the draft and the worst recruiters blab them to the media to big note themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: