Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Am i right that there is a clear top 4 and then the rest?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:39 pm
Post subject: Am i right that there is a clear top 4 and then the rest?Reply with quote

it seems like there are two elite midfield prospects and 2 elite KPPs. It also sounds like Melbourne will choose one of each. finally, I expect that GWS wants a mid and Saints want a KPP. However, since Petracca seems to be the consensus number 1, there is an issue.

If the draft order was. GWS, Melb, Melb, Saints, I am almost certain the draft order would be Petracca or Brayshaw to GWS, the remaining mid and either McCartin or Wright to Demons and the remaining KPP to Saints.
However, this is not the draft order and so I have a feeling that one of the 4 (a KPP) might slip to 5 and I think it might be McCartin if it doesn't change. I think this is why the Saints would love to trade down to 2 or 4 because they can still get their man AND they might get something more.

However, if the top 4 go the way one might expect, am I reading the tea leaves correct in that there really is no consensus number 5?

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, though I doubt it will be this clear cut.

Since you note that though there is a perceived 'clear 4', they may not necessarily be selected as such due to club needs, how could there possibly be a consensus pick 5?

I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it from here. Now that our trades are all but finalised, I have faith that the recruiting crew will find a star with pick 5, and that he will suit our needs. Laverde looks a chance you would think, but whoever it is, I'll be delighted

E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:59 pm

sorry, I wasn't clear in my OP. what I meant to ask was whether there is a feeling that draft picks 5-15 are all roughly the same value (albeit, a higher pick gets you the person you may have a personal preference for).
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:09 pm

E wrote:
sorry, I wasn't clear in my OP. what I meant to ask was whether there is a feeling that draft picks 5-15 are all roughly the same value (albeit, a higher pick gets you the person you may have a personal preference for).

That seems to be what people are saying. Who knows what the recruiters actually think though.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:02 pm

What do you guys think of Paul Ahern? A friend reckons he's a gun midfielder, but I've got no idea. Confused
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:16 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
What do you guys think of Paul Ahern? A friend reckons he's a gun midfielder, but I've got no idea. Confused

He's frequently listed among that next tier behind Petracca and Brayshaw along with Pickett, Laverde, DeGoey and Lamb.

AFL phantom form guide said:

Ahern put his hand up for the Calder Cannons in their Grand Final defeat, collecting 26 disposals and kicking a goal. Ahern glides through the midfield, going quicker than he sometimes looks, and then delivers with ease as well – his kicks telling teammates where to lead, and not the other way around. Has to close the gap between his outstanding games and the others, but has the pace and class to be a really good player who sets things up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-07/phantom-form-guide-october-edition

That's as much as I know.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks Jackcass.
blakis 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:59 pm

I really hope we land Pickett. Has really silky skills and a bit of dash off the mark which would be great through our midfield and forward line.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:06 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Apparently the pies have taken a keen interest in Ahern.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:18 pm

If the dogs end up with pick 4 or GWS trade Boyd then it's fair to say Wright won't slip to 5.

Bulldogs certainly wouldn't bypass him. GWS have shown they are prepared to draft multiple key forward options on to there list but might bypass him if they still had Boyd.

The tool Maher has speculated that Brayshaw could slip to 5.

I highly doubt it but it's a minor possibility should McCartin go pick 1.

If Petracca goes 1 then forget it as Melbourne will swoop on him.

Our best hope for one of the big 4 to slip would be if the top 4 picks remain with there current clubs IMO.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:38 pm

I think it's too early to talk about there being a clear top 4. Perceptions usually change in the last few weeks once journos start to work out who the clubs actually like. Right now it's mostly external analysis.

In terms of talent the draft is actually seen as stronger and deeper than last year's.

Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:55 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I think it's too early to talk about there being a clear top 4. Perceptions usually change in the last few weeks once journos start to work out who the clubs actually like. Right now it's mostly external analysis.

In terms of talent the draft is actually seen as stronger and deeper than last year's.

The two preselections who probably would have gone in the top 6(Moore, Heeney) have confused things a bit, but I certainly remember recruiters at last years draft saying this one was going to be better. I think they always say that, but sometimes it's true. Wink
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

It is more even between 5 to 15, 16 to 25 so overall would be stronger and deeper but to me no one who's likely to be there at 5 comes with the same resume of Aish or Scharenberg of last season.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

The two preselections who probably would have gone in the top 6(Moore, Heeney) have confused things a bit, but I certainly remember recruiters at last years draft saying this one was going to be better. I think they always say that, but sometimes it's true. Wink

Moore would be the clear 5 or 6 if available so you have a good point.

Just as well he's ours at 9.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:23 pm

Crazy to think that we're getting two bites of the top 5 (or 6) cherry. I'm dreaming of two superstars like Pendles and Daisy or Buddy and Roughy. Even getting one right like Reiwoldt and Kosy would be pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: