Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jack Watts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:38 am
Post subject: Jack WattsReply with quote

Apparently Dees are open to a trade. I don't rate him that highly but I'd be happy with a straight swap for H. Rather that than the Varcoe ménage.
Coxy83 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Melbourne believe he is valuable due to him being the number one pick. I'm just not sure what need he fills in our side?

He's tallish but not at all physical. Has nice skills but doesn't get much of the ball and I assume he's on good money?

Pass for me
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:51 am

Coxy83 wrote:
Melbourne believe he is valuable due to him being the number one pick. I'm just not sure what need he fills in our side?

He's tallish but not at all physical. Has nice skills but doesn't get much of the ball and I assume he's on good money?

Pass for me

Sure he is a better option than Varcoe?? Surely??? Rolling Eyes

Is there anyone here who believes that Varcoe is a better option for Collingwood than Watts?
Coxy83 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:54 am

We'd have to give up more for Watts and pay him more. I'm not sure he adds much value in our areas of need.

I think Watts is a better player but considering what it takes to get them I'd take Varcoe
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:58 am

Lazza wrote:
Coxy83 wrote:

Pass for me

Sure he is a better option than Varcoe?? Surely??? Rolling Eyes

Is there anyone here who believes that Varcoe is a better option for Collingwood than Watts?

Would depend on the relative cost. I'd rather chance the draft than pick up either.

PS: welcome back, clearly more appealing than I give you credit for Wink

Last edited by jackcass on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:58 am

No thanks.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:33 pm

Watts has played his entire career at a lowly club with rubbish development.

Watts, Scully, Trengove, Morton, Toumpas to name just a few haven't lived up to there high draft selection.

It can't just be a coincidence.

It's either poor talent identification and/or a poor development system.

If it was a straight swap for Lumumba you'd take him but Melbourne probably believe that because he was a former No.1 pick he's worth more. They'd be wrong.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:45 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Watts, Scully, Trengove, Morton, Toumpas to name just a few haven't lived up to there high draft selection.

If it was a straight swap for Lumumba you'd take him but Melbourne probably believe that because he was a former No.1 pick he's worth more. They'd be wrong.

i'd like to see him in the black and white running off half back, breaking the lines and carrying the ball into the forward line. i think he and a few others are victims of a poor development system. i can't recall if it was a general consensus that watts was the top pick that year.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Has talent but lacks heart
Package him and Varcoe together
and ship off to Western Star Butter!

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:54 pm

in answering my question, i forgot it was he vs nicnat for number 1. excluding watts, the top 10 that year haven't disappointed. that's no coincidence. that suggests the melbourne system is crap and they would have likely stiffed up nicnat if he'd had gone there.
Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:04 pm

John Wren wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

i'd like to see him in the black and white running off half back, breaking the lines and carrying the ball into the forward line. i think he and a few others are victims of a poor development system. i can't recall if it was a general consensus that watts was the top pick that year.

Watts doesn't run though, he kinda bounces and drifts like a beach ball in the wind.

Back in his draft year, Nic Nat was all the rage. Then Daniel Rich bobbed up and was a chance for number 1, then he fell out of favour and Melbourne went with Watts over Natanui. Jack was seen as the best tall forward all through his draft year, I think. Here's the list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_AFL_draft

Sidebottom stands up against any of the other first rounders I reckon. Maybe just behind Hartlett. And yeah, Melbourne couldn't develop a negative in a dark room. Getting drafted there is like a death sentence.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:24 pm

John Wren wrote:
in answering my question, i forgot it was he vs nicnat for number 1. excluding watts, the top 10 that year haven't disappointed. that's no coincidence. that suggests the melbourne system is crap and they would have likely stiffed up nicnat if he'd had gone there.

As it is NicNat is vastly overrated compared to his output.

Watts was a bottom aged player with excellent speed and athletic ability for such a big guy and dominated as a key forward at U18 level.

I can see why Melbourne went for him.

One of the biggest probelms I see with Watts is that his listed weight now of 88kgs is only 6kgs heavier than when drafted.

That's rubbish physical development and I'm not sure why he's playing at such a light body weight even for a player who doesn't play like a traditional key positon player.

Nick Riewoldt for instance is 96kg and that is more like what Watts should be.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
John Wren wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Watts doesn't run though, he kinda bounces and drifts like a beach ball in the wind.

Back in his draft year, Nic Nat was all the rage. Then Daniel Rich bobbed up and was a chance for number 1, then he fell out of favour and Melbourne went with Watts over Natanui. Jack was seen as the best tall forward all through his draft year, I think. Here's the list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_AFL_draft

Sidebottom stands up against any of the other first rounders I reckon. Maybe just behind Hartlett. And yeah, Melbourne couldn't develop a negative in a dark room. Getting drafted there is like a death sentence.

certainly stands off it a bit but has got better since roos came along. very much looked like someone who didn't have the coaching for what to do, where to run etc.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:59 pm

Is softer than a marshmallow.... that's all.
blakis 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:05 pm

I reckon he's worth a crack for the right price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: