Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2014 draft:player bios, phantom drafts etc. Who do you want?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:05 am
Post subject: 2014 draft:player bios, phantom drafts etc. Who do you want?Reply with quote

So who takes your fancy come our first, second and third round picks?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-tall-forwards-20141002-10pi7w.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-the-ruckmen-20141001-10op78.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-medium-forwards-20141002-10pa6w.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-small-forwards-defenders-and-midfielders-20141002-10p87j.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-medium-midfielders-20141002-10pj9n.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-medium-defenders-20141002-10p7fp.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-tall-defenders-20141002-10piwd.html

Other resources:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-15/phantom-draft-form-guide

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2014-phantom-draft.1060197/

Last edited by swoop42 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

If we end up with pick 4 - Petracca or Brayshaw, maybe Laverde.

Obviously we'll end up with Moore.

Hopefully we can score Cockatoo with our second rounder.

I'd prefer that we don't pick any sub 185cm players.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:26 am

Agree with Rick on all points.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:03 am

If we do keep # 4, the liklihood is that will end up being #5 anyway for ovvious reasons. Unfortunately Petracca ( and probably McCarthy ) will be long gone and then it opens up quickly. The Cocky has blitzed at the combine and he is another who may not be there for our second round as it currently stands ( he is a goodish size for a mid too )
Jake lever is the wildcard off an ACL ( 10 months into recovery ) They reckon he would be pick #1 in an average draft pool next season. Although I imagine the pies are a little gun shy on anyone recovering from an ingrown toe nail at the moment.

We need pace and skill and jarrod pickett from WA fits the bill nicely. In the mould of the Hill brothers, except he is less than a whippet at the moment and will be pushed off the ball for a while to come ( if they can catch him ) Having said all that, im confident pies will trade on pick 4 / 5 for a ready made player and by time we get to double digit picks in this draft, it will all be very speculative from there on ( assuming Moore is Pies first round F S selection )

Pies are in desperate need of some positive news through the draft period and the first of that would be no one bidding for moore in the F S nominations. Not likely but if some clubs like dogs and blues want to trade off their first round for ready made talent or an even higher pick ( dogs ) they may yet choose not to bid for Moore. Now that would be Xmas and it could yet be in early October !
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:36 am

That's a useful analysis. I would, however, be surprised if Buckley on-traded pick 4/5 unless Dangerfield were available. The strategy for the last two years has clearly been to trade out solid players for the chance at better ones, with a view to improving the class of the list, overall. I think the publicly stated position (pick 4 and a ready made replacement) is quite consistent with the existing strategy and is likely to be an accurate statement of the Club's position, rather than a negotiating strategy. In that case, there is some prospect of Collingwood trying to secure a trade that improves the pick 4/5, if Hine is very keen on Petracca, for example. I accept that the "improve the class on the list" strategy has to be balanced against the probably unexpected loss of Beams and the need to have some experience on the list but on-trading our high pick for anything less than an out and out gun like Dangerfield would require something of a backflip on the established approach.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Rick wrote:
If we end up with pick 4 - Petracca or Brayshaw, maybe Laverde.

Obviously we'll end up with Moore.

Hopefully we can score Cockatoo with our second rounder.

I'd prefer that we don't pick any sub 185cm players.

You might have to be willing to be a bit flexible when it comes to height but i agree players around that mark would be ideal.

Preferably no sub 180cm players with a pick inside the top 30.

For me any midfield/flanker type players we take must possess at least two of the these qualities, elite foot skills, speed or endurance.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks for the great links Swoop 42. Much appreciated
roar 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:35 pm

swoop42 wrote:

For me any midfield/flanker type players we take must possess at least two of the these qualities, elite foot skills, speed or endurance.

Preferably the first two.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:10 am

Sam Burgess.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:11 am

DP.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:57 am

For mine, assuming we can't trade up to pick 1 or 2 or trade for Dangerfield and that we only get picks from Brisbane, an ideal scenario would be...

Pick 4 (Beams trade) - Patrick McCartin
Pick 8 (our original 1st pick) - Jarrad Pickett
Pick 23 (H trade) - Nakia Cockatoo
Pick 25 (Beams trade) - Jarrod Garlett
Pick 30 (our original 2nd rounder) - Darcy Moore

In that idealised dream scenario, the Frawley compensation for Melbourne comes middle of the 1st round (as has been speculated in some parts), the Dees would be foolish enough to stump up #23 for Lumumba, the Brions tack on #25 to get Beams and nobody bids their first on Moore.

Well, a guy's gotta dream, right? Wink

I know 4 + 25 is still unders for Beams, given we would want one of their gun kids like Aish instead, but Brisbane don't look like giving ground on that front. In that case, I'd prefer to take 5 picks inside the first 30 selections to the draft (well, 4, considering Moore is a legacy pick). Maybe we could parlay that pick 25 into a Levi Greenwood to partially off-set the loss of Beams, but otherwise, put it in Dekka's hands and let him play.

In picking McCartin at 4, we'd get ourselves Darcy's running mate and future-proof against Cloke's retirement. Moore and McCartin could become our Buddy and Roughy... Wink

Pickett, Garlett and Cockatoo would give us a badly needed injection of speed, skill, class and X-factor. Yes, Pickett and Garlett are sub 180cm, but they're X-factor smalls, not more vanilla plodders, so you can bring them in without any qualms as to their height.

Alas, pick 8 is almost a certainty for Moore, and the club will likely not budge on its demand for a ready-made player to replace Beams in addition to pick 4, so we wouldn't see Pickett and Garlett eventuate with those extra selections.

In which case, we're much more likely to see pick 5 (after Frawley compo), pick 9 (Moore), pick 30 and pick 35 (the pick Geelong will likely give to Melbourne for Clark, on-traded to us). Assuming Petracca/Brayshaw/McCartin/Wright are all gone, then maybe we use 5 to reach for Pickett, Weller or even Laverde. Use 30 and 35 (if we get it) for someone like Menadue, Blakely or Neal-Bullen. Really, best available from that point on...

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:20 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-07/phantom-form-guide-october-edition

I'm thinking one of McCartin or Wright could yet still slip to pick 5 as long as the saints go Petracca at 1.

If that doesn't occur then one of Laverde, Weller or Pickett is likely.

If we end up with pick 23 then I'd love Lamb to slide that far with Cockatoo, Langford, Blakely and Garlett all in the mix as well.

roar 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Laverde, Cockatoo and Mackenzie and I'm a happy man.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:50 pm

roar wrote:
Laverde, Cockatoo and Mackenzie and I'm a happy man.

Yeah, would be happy with those 3 for sure.
Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:06 am

swoop42 wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-07/phantom-form-guide-october-edition

I'm thinking one of McCartin or Wright could yet still slip to pick 5 as long as the saints go Petracca at 1.

If that doesn't occur then one of Laverde, Weller or Pickett is likely.

If we end up with pick 23 then I'd love Lamb to slide that far with Cockatoo, Langford, Blakely and Garlett all in the mix as well.

That phantom guide has Heeney going at 3, when really he'll go at 18 to Sydney. So maybe that means that Wright and McCartin are both gone by pick 5. Unless GWS want Lever, some mock drafts have them taking him at 4.

Not sold on Pickett or Weller. Laverde looks interesting, but raw. De Goey, Lamb and Duggan look like players that we might need, but maybe pick 5 is too high for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: