Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Chinese imperialism and future Australian sovereignty

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Communist parties all eventually fall because their philosophy just doesn't work.

Enter the opposition. https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia/chinese-separatists-backed-by-steve-bannon-push-new-coalition-in-australia-20200725-p55fdv.html

I've been reading Clive Hamilton's book "Silent Invasion: China's Influence in Australia". Hamilton pulls no punches on what China has been doing in the last few years and how it's been subverting our country gradually. The book was published in 2018, but remains as relevant as ever today.

This idea that China will democratise in time is delusional. They're not a friend of ours and for as long as the CCP remains in power, they remain a geopolitical threat to the Asia-Pacific region.

Australia needs to start pulling away from them economically, and expand its relationship with countries that share our values. For example, this includes India, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan and etc.

I was pleased to see the government sign a defence pact with India six weeks ago.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/new-strategic-agreement-with-india-signed-to-counter-china-s-influence-20200604-p54zor.html

Last edited by Jezza on Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:55 am

Jezza wrote:
This idea that China will democratise in time is delusional.

But isn't the belief that you know enough about China to draw that conclusion far more delusional? Let's put it a different way: how much would a firm pay you to advise them on China? Talking as if you're sure of something is not the same as actually knowing anything about it.

Even worse than the poor information underwriting views on this topic are the shabby chancers lining up for a piece of the action. The list of grabbers and imperialists ought to set off warning bells in your head. And when the mob jumps aboard with waving fists, those alarm bells ought be blaring.

Think of the vultures circling for contracts formerly filled by Chinese suppliers. And then there are the convenient withdrawals from arms treaties. There's nothing like war to justify corporate handouts.

There's almost a fond yearning for a Cold War as if people think it was actually 'cold'. But from Asia to Latin America, it was a monumental disaster for all in its path.

If you genuinely don't like or trust nationalists, imperialists, authoritarians, fundamentalists, bullies and grabbers, then that ought to apply to all races, ethnicities and nationalities, including your own.

Otherwise, you are just another propagandist willing monumental disasters like Vietnam and Iraq into existence.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:20 am

Pi wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

China simply must succeed, and any policy that fails to recognise that, and fails to care about the futures of 1.4B Chinese folks, is setting us up for an unthinkable catastrophe.

Bit of an absolutist statement; presumably the 'party' must succeed for China to succeed. If so; then following people dont matter:

The estimated 10 to 80 million Falun Gong practitioners.

The estimated 12 million Uyghurs.

The 7.45 million in Hong Kong.

3.18 million Tibetans.

...and the list could go on..

Perhaps the Chinese communist party is the biggest impediment to the welfare of most of its 1.4 billion people; after all the party has only about 90 million members, (mostly Han Chinese) , ...out of 1.4 billion.....about 6.5 percent of the population.

What if the party fails? does China fail? Probably not; communist parties often fail but life goes on.

Considering the floods and ongoing pandemic , who knows.

But I'm not the one equating the Communist Party with China Confused I'm equating China with its 1.4B constituents. You might want to ask someone who mistakenly conflates the two.

Thus, I said China must succeed, not that the CCP and it's particular vision of China must succeed. And I certainly hope for the sake of the colonies that any imperialist or expansionist fantasies within China dissipate faster than those that sustained, say, the British Empire.

These conversations are getting a very strong whiff of Iraq about them: Saddam Hussein is evil and he's oppressing his own people as well as the Kurds, so my distrust of our own big-mouthed, clueless, bellicose fist wavers must mean I'm a Saddam Hussein sympathiser. Well, we know how that turned out.

As I keep warning, be very careful of the company you keep.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:26 am

At the moment for all practical purposes the CCP is China and it permeates every aspect of life and business in and outside the country; having done business with Chinese companies I can safely say there is no escape from it.

The rest of the world and mostly the surrounding Asian countries have wised up to the intentions of the CCP and are taking measures to protect their own interests and that means containing PLA operations. It also means disengaging from business with Chinese companies from manufacturing everything from cheap chairs to pharmaceutical supplies.

As to China succeeding and its 1.4 billion people succeeding; well it doesn’t long term while the CCP is in charge. As to what happens internally in China that’s anyone s guess; but there won’t be an Iraq type invasion, just containment and continued disconnection. There is a lot going on inside China we don’t get to see or more accurately is not reported in 'headlines'.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:17 pm

^The issue is not whether anyone likes the bellicose Xi turn or the nationalist nonsense driving it. The Xi turn only justifies countermeasures, not 'once for all time' conclusions driven by our usual drooling fist wavers who know so little about the world they thought Donald Trump we be a great pick for the role of the world's most powerful person.

As many have pointed out, it's not as if nations are queuing up to befriend China, so there are natural limits on its power. Not to mention Xi and his particular wing of the CCP are not China, and the CCP in turn is not China, its own fantasies notwithstanding. Regimes come and go, and even when you dislike them, there are far more and far less intelligent ways of engaging them.

Frankly, I'm tired of having to play antagonist on these things. I keep hoping people will grow up, but alas not to be. I am in fact all for necessary countermeasures. But the collapse of proactive efforts around those, and the reactionary fist waving led by failed American imperialists, worries me greatly.

Tell us more about your business dealings in China. I think you've mentioned them before. I know a little about Chinese business through the experience of Korean companies setting up shop going back a couple of decades.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:38 pm

The central problem with the above is that China is not a democracy, and Xi and the party he runs, unlike Trump and the current Republican administration, aren't going anywhere. The trouble with dictatorships is that you don't just get unaccountable authoritarians, but unaccountable authoritarians who are able to – and are usually disposed to – maintain their own power and self-interest at any cost. Given its high level of internal control, one suspects that China's power structures are in fact considerably more stable than that of many other dictatorships and pseudo-democracies.

Not saying that internal shifts might not at some point dethrone him (which is what we're all, albeit with little basis for optimism, hoping happens in Russia, North Korea, Syria and Iran too), but short of some kind of crisis, the CCP will remain China – not just a small aspect of it, but the central driver of its internal direction, international relations and power projection – for all intents and purposes for the foreseeable future, for better or for worse.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:57 pm

pietillidie wrote:

Tell us more about your business dealings in China. I think you've mentioned them before. I know a little about Chinese business through the experience of Korean companies setting up shop going back a couple of decades.

My dealings with China started back in the mid 80’s when I was an apprentice; we were part of a business / cultural exchange program that continued into the late 90’s. We basically visited each other’s factories, we set up manufacturing plants and automation tooling. No doubt they probably still have a big fat file on me and my family.

We still deal with them occasionally, but then as now the ‘party’ stands over every aspect and interaction. Which is one reason our company moved operations into India, which as it turns out was a good move, back in the early 2000s we weren’t so sure.

India has its cultural issues but so does everywhere, what they don’t have is the Communist party poking its beak into everything. I also have Indian in-laws so there is a bias in favor of doing more business with India on my part.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 pm

Pi wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

My dealings with China started back in the mid 80’s when I was an apprentice; we were part of a business / cultural exchange program that continued into the late 90’s. We basically visited each other’s factories, we set up manufacturing plants and automation tooling. No doubt they probably still have a big fat file on me and my family.

We still deal with them occasionally, but then as now the ‘party’ stands over every aspect and interaction. Which is one reason our company moved operations into India, which as it turns out was a good move, back in the early 2000s we weren’t so sure.

India has its cultural issues but so does everywhere, what they don’t have is the Communist party poking its beak into everything. I also have Indian in-laws so there is a bias in favor of doing more business with India on my part.

Cheers, that's fair enough.

I am researching the Korean approach at the moment (i.e., talking to people with business there) to hear their thoughts. Korea often has interesting solutions, but I am guessing the general consensus is simply not having all eggs in one basket. If that's the case, the market is deciding, not ideology, so the hysteria only risks turning something that will naturally resolve into a clash of civilisations that need not take place.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:56 pm

David wrote:
The central problem with the above is that China is not a democracy, and Xi and the party he runs, unlike Trump and the current Republican administration, aren't going anywhere....

Not saying that internal shifts might not at some point dethrone him (which is what we're all, albeit with little basis for optimism, hoping happens in Russia, North Korea, Syria and Iran too)....

But I don't think we know enough to draw a conclusion. That's a very vague, abstract level of analogy you're working with there. I can just as easily quote the Korean dictators to say it will end soon enough.

China is far more open to global forces than Russia - geographically, socially and economically. As companies move ops to Vietnam or India or wherever, the more liberal forces within the corridors of power will start to look attractive again.

Pressuring a country doesn't meaning falling for hysterical, embarrassingly hypocritical BS. Unnecessary bellicose escalation is the unwritten crime that regularly leads to disasters like Vietnam and Iraq. Remember, Xi is only reflecting back puerile US hyperbole from the Dear Leader. The verbal bellicosity was Trump and Pompeo's to begin with; and they're outright deranged and dangerous nutters. The confidence they will be reined is not warranted: remember, the Bush disaster was ratified by public vote twice, while there are warmongers and handout vultures on both sides of the aisle.

Great caution is needed here, especially when so many people have gotten so many things wrong over the past two decades.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:23 pm

Fair enough, re: Korea – it does seem reasonable to presume that most dictatorships have use-by dates (especially in a world in which multiparty democracy is commonplace and normalised), and we would do well to scrutinise what happened in Taiwan, South Korea, Indonesia and elsewhere to make that possible. But whether in China’s case that’s 5 years (Trump’s maximum reign, incidentally), 25 years, 50 years away (or more) seems difficult to tell at this stage, and once you get into the bigger time spans it starts to become academic for the purposes of a discussion like this.

What seems apparent to me in any case is that Xi is in a relatively strong position compared to other world leaders, and that there is little in the way of a visible or permitted internal democratisation movement – as we’ve discussed before, there doesn’t even seem to be much of an appetite for it among the general populace. The social credit system and existing authoritarian control of speech, gatherings and public dissent seem to make any kind of popular resistance near-impossible, so I’m not seeing many other options available for democratisation other than a military coup (which hardly seems likely) or a voluntary glasnost, and I think Xi has signposted pretty clearly that he has little interest in the latter. Given all that, would you agree that stability seems the most likely outcome in the medium term?

pietillidie wrote:
Remember, Xi is only reflecting back US language.

What’s the basis for this claim? Is there a peculiar characteristic of Xi / the CCP / Chinese state propaganda that suggests "only aggressive when provoked"?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:32 pm

^Are you honestly saying you haven't noticed an escalation of Chinese rhetoric and a co-opting and mirroring of the language of Trump and friends? Go back and sample the rhetoric when time permits. I'll see if there are any discourse analysis studies on it, but I think if you look back what I'm saying will be borne out.

Pick up any text on Chinese discourse and this style of puerile rhetoric will be viewed as shameful, so I have strong doubts it's endemic, and even less so in the halls of diplomacy. The belief that braggadocio is part of Western success is widely held in Asia, so that might be part of it ('they keep beating us at the global PR game; perhaps we should use their approach?'), but it looks more like an organised plan to me.

Let's also not forget the roots of the present dispute can be found in Bush's 'containment' policies, which went unscrutinised due to his multiple other disasters. China warned about this for years in a diplomatic tone, and it fuelled great resentment and indeed was central to the rise of Xi and his party wing.

Back then, in the face of 'the dirty Chinese are taking our jobs' racist insult, Chinese diplomacy used mutual benefit and even charm (see this comment from someone at the time from a quick Google: https://apjjf.org/-Michael-T--Klare/1589/article.pdf ). Are you sure you can't remember this period before the bellicosity?

My take is that a tit-for-tat PR strategy was deployed at some point. Not only has the mirroring in the language caught my eye on many occasions, but you can't really be blamed for doing something that Trump does on a daily basis. It might even be a well-known strategy in China now when engaged in confrontation with Westerners who take for granted their English language advantage (more self-entitlement). Whatever the case, no doubt Bush, Trump and similar nationalists were a PR godsend for Xi and his merry band, allowing him to play to a more extreme audience like Trump.

The switch to utilising (near) bilinguals with a comprehension of Western rhetoric in social media comms became obvious at one point. I don't have a date as it has all blurred together over time, but I remember noticing it at some point.

To be fair, China has always been more rhetorically muscular than, say, Korea and Japan, but it has never been overtly puerile and shameful like Trump and friends. Hence, my assumption is that it has taken up this approach as a controlled PR strategy. The US election frightens me on this front because the usual nutters will drive the conversation to the extreme right, forcing US moderates to join them in the loony bin, and by extension drive China's internal discussion to extreme right.

As I say, bellicose hyperbole that ratchets up war and conflict is the hidden crime that precedes the later destruction. And Trump has been allowed to spout rubbish unrestrained like a thoughtless mental case from day one, building on the rhetorical failures of the Bush neocons who poisoned the international waters before him.

People who care about the world and don't want an even bigger disaster than Iraq hung around their necks ought to be far more prudent than they're being. The cowardly avoidance of the insult 'appeaser', as if that's the only moral insight people have gleaned from history, is an extraordinarily poor and indeed pathetically ironic reason for starting Vietnams and Iraqs, or indeed a new Cold War.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 pm

The NY Times gets to the nub of the problem: not matter how right opposition to China's actions in the South China Sea might be (something upon which everyone agrees), a sane and successful deterrent depends on consensus building. All the bluster and hysteria in the world won't change that.

However, the bind is that Trump and crazies have spent their time destroying international alliances and lack the credibility to create consensus and build the necessary alliances.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/opinion/pompeo-south-china-sea.html

Not to mention, with innumerable breaches of international law in its pocket, the US already struggles on the credibility front.

This type of scenario is exactly why you don't want Trumps wandering about wrecking global alliances and pissing everybody off, and why you need a leader with the discipline to bank credibility for times such as this.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Xi is not just reflecting Trump, that's unhinged.

Xi is pushing the Chinese agenda and that includes being disproportionately aggressive and intolerant toward any viewpoint that criticises them.

If anything has triggered them it's criticism over the coronavirus, which has just dragged into the public existing concerns like cyber espionage, Huwawai, human rights abuse.

I'm not sure if it's out of Sun Tzu's playbook or George Washington or an American sporting coach, but after decades of keeping their head down, China is now under attack on numerous fronts and are using the "Attack is the best form of defence" response and lashing out big time.

The trick of trying to control the message both inwardly and outwardly reminds me of a scene from Lord of the rings, which didn't end well for the guy trying to pull it off.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:06 pm

pietillidie wrote:
a sane and successful deterrent depends on consensus building. All the bluster and hysteria in the world won't change that. However, the bind is that Trump and crazies have spent their time destroying international alliances and lack ... credibility.....

Not to mention, with innumerable breaches of international law in its pocket, the US already struggles on the credibility front.

Exactly.

stui magpie wrote:

Xi is pushing the Chinese agenda and that includes being disproportionately aggressive and intolerant toward any viewpoint that criticises them.

If anything has triggered them it's criticism over the coronavirus, which has just dragged into the public existing concerns like cyber espionage, Huwawai, human rights abuse.

Spot on. They are not channeling anyone, and they are not suddenly reacting to criticism, they always go off the deep end anytime they feel thwarted and sook louder than a baby with an unchanged nappy. The only difference is that now they can see that the west under Trump and Johnson is the weakest it has ever been and, thanks to Vlad's very successful destabilistation campaigns, is both badly led and hopelessly divided. They are going for all the yards they can possibly make while the other team is playing injured.

Watch them pull their heads in once Biden takes over and (a) puts some professionals in charge and (b) restores some significant unity and trust and cooperation back into international relations.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:

How do you know? What's your basis for disagreeing? Have you been tracking the rhetoric?

Why did Chinese diplomatic tone turn puerile when Trump came along? Why did Twitter posts suddenly start mirroring Western social media rhetorical nonsense in (near) native English? Why does this rhetoric deviate so radically from traditional Chinese diplomatic rhetoric?

Donald Trump is the one who is unhinged. Xi is far more strategic. China now has a returning generation very well educated in Western rhetoric and PR. And Donald Trump is the perfect cover for bellicosity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 25 of 50   

Jump to: