Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Chinese imperialism and future Australian sovereignty

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I see the South China Sea stuff as less about territorial expansion than nationalist symbolism, and I honestly think we place way too much focus on it. It's disputed territory; if the tanks roll in to Manila, that would be a very different story.

This appeared in my feed today - I don’t know much about the South China sea situation but found it interesting.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-02/philippines-rodrigo-duterte-us-vfa-south-china-sea-military/12406838?nw=0&pfmredir=sm

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Tannin wrote:
David wrote:
I understand the logic. But does this mean that it's futile to work toward goals such as peaceful pluralism, cooperation and mutual disarmament? Or are we essentially locked into the MAD doctrine all the way until the asteroid comes?

Absolutely not! We (like any other country) must have both. This is the only, repeat only way to avoid war.*

* Theoretically, you could be so incredibly powerful that it doesn't matter a damn whether other countries get on with you or not. This has been tried many times, by (for example) the Roman Empire, the British Empire, and most recently by the United States. It never works. You always end up fighting an endless series of small, nasty wars, and they never end. Eventually, your national unity breaks up and your will to fight falls away and your empire falls apart, usually in a pretty nasty way.

* Or you could be so incredibly nice to everyone and so incredibly poor that no-one wants to invade you 'coz you ain't got anything at all that anybody wants. This state has been approached many times by many countries, and it has never yet worked. Conquering economically and militarily worthless countries provides dictators with easy street cred; it's Militarist Politics 101. And any country that poor is going to be having a more or less permanent civil war anyway, or at very least crime and violence and corruption so bad as to be pretty much the same thing. For a current example, close your eyes and stick a pin randomly into a map of Africa. (You might have to try twice, in case you happen to hit one of the African countries which are at war over the resources they have rather than the resources they don't have.)

Lets not forget also that in this Sth Pacific region we're the only country with any sort of defence capability.

Negotiation and cooperation tend to go more smoothly when both parties either have mutual goals or similar weapons.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:20 pm

^That's pretty much my view, too.

David, there's MAD and there's absurdly MAD. The objective is to move from arms race to a process of disarmament (mutually-assured pain, as Tannin mentioned somewhere above). Even if we assume and will the best, that doesn't stop things going awry. Think of it more in terms of risk management and insurance, but with the bright side of being able to talk to the other party and mutually reduce the risk and cost. With insurance policy tucked away in back pocket, the goal should then be mutually-assured benefit.

That said, I have great sympathy for the counter argument that the arms race becomes self-fulfilling because perverse incentives are merely shifted to the military-industrial complex. So, I would be keen on seeing strategies for dealing with that as part of the process.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:48 pm

I think it’s very clarifying seeing how much the announced spend, $270 billion over ten years (which our brains tend to file away as just another incomprehensibly big number), could achieve in terms of public sector expenditure – making university free for 6 million people is one claim I’ve seen, for instance, or expanding medicare to fully cover all dental fees. So even for those of us theoretically and conceptually on board with defence spending, I think we need to ask ourselves about where our priorities lie.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:57 pm

^ Yup. As you say, David, it is really quite a simple choice.

(a) Spend the $20 billion on defence and do without free university education for everyone

(b) Spend the $270 billion on something else and .... well, you've seen the situation in Hong Kong for yourself.

One or the other. There is no third choice.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:35 pm

The question is, how much do we need to buy into this fantasy – and it is a fantasy – that Australia is remotely likely to become another Hong Kong to justify such a spend? As much as I’m horrified by what’s happening over there and fully support the pro-democracy movement, there’s also the uncomfortable reality that it’s Chinese sovereign territory. They can interpret and enforce "one country, two systems" however they like. It’s fundamentally different to the invasion of another country, which is apparently what this is all about (because if we’re not at risk of foreign tanks rolling in, what’s the point of anything more than a token defence budget?).

I would wager that we could have $0 in defence spending and would still be safe from that scenario. And how do I know that? Because there are quite a few much poorer countries between us and China with much tinier defence capacities that have hitherto escaped invasion from them of any kind in recent history, and China has shown no signs of even considering anything of the kind. We can’t say it’ll never happen, but that’s essentially what we’re gambling on – $270 billion says I’m wrong. It’s a big bet.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:31 pm

Because we are at risk of foreign tanks rolling in. Every country is. All the time. Read some history. Or look around you.

Do you think for one instant that the Chinese troops massed on the Indian border are still sitting (mostly) on the Chinese side of the border because they like it better on that side of the hill?

They cross the border now and then and fire off a few shells just to see if India is still ready to defend itself. Taiwan, same deal. Russia, same deal. Vietnam, same deal. Spratley Islands - you've seen it for yourself. They are on the march.

Our turn next. Get ready or die like Hong Kong. Your call.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:44 pm

It’s precisely because of history that I’m sceptical. How many territorial annexations or ground invasions have there been since World War 2? Largely, they seem to fall into two categories: imperialist meddling (usually by the US), or claims of long-disputed territory. Traditional expansionist invasions like that of Japan in Manchuria, Nazi Germany in Poland (etc.) and Iraq in Kuwait have become very rare – the only twenty-first century example I can think of has been Russia in Ukraine, and even that deserves an asterisk given the two countries’ intertwined history. This is a world in which, just 100 years ago, the entire ballgame (particularly in Europe) was constantly shifting lines on a map; in contrast, in my lifetime, national borders have generally been stable and rarely violated.

As I’ve argued previously, the much more commonplace attack method in this day and age is more like pre-Maidan Ukraine, in which an economically dependent country essentially ends up with a puppet government that acts like a proxy for the imperialist neighbour. In such cases, you could have the best defence money can buy and it won’t help you one bit, because there’s no military threat and, in any event, the loyal client government is in control of the very weapons that were stockpiled! That pretty clearly seems to be the Chinese hegemonic model going on recent history.

Of course, history doesn’t run in a straight line, and global dynamics could change. Maybe it’s prudent to be prepared for that. But I think the current situation makes military build-up an old-fashioned and out-of-touch response, and like bringing a knife to a gunfight – the gunfight being economic subservience leading to a gradual surrender of sovereignty.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:41 am

^I agree with you significantly, but would still err on the side of taking out insurance on an unlikely but not impossible disaster. I also see security as something that underwrites the stability you need to enact decent policy of the sort you want. The trick, though, is keeping defence in its place.

That said, if someone can work out how to get tax from the mining companies which control Canberra, you can have your cake and eat it too. Last time their scare campaign against being taxed for the national good was so successful they reduced the revenue to a bag of mixed lollies and somehow made national embarrassment Tony Abbott seem electable.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:41 pm

Speaking of Australian sovereignty, I'd prefer it if we had our own nuclear missiles and weren't beholden to the US for protection. The US government doesn't even look after its own citizens, so how can we be certain that we can count on them?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:56 pm

I’d feel a lot safer in a world in which aggressive denuclearisation was pursued, frankly. Us getting nukes only encourages more hostile countries around us to do the same. It’s amazing how many people don’t understand that.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:14 pm

That's no reason to leave ourselves beholden to the US and to risk them leaving us hanging in an emergency.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:55 pm

Stan Grant's view.

Quote:
Australia has always believed it would never have to choose between its strategic alliance with the United States and its biggest trading relationship with China.

That has always been a fallacy: of course we would choose the US, we are bound by values and security.

That does not mean making an enemy of China. But that, too, may be out of our hands.

Time again, we fail to heed history's lessons
The rise of China was always going to be the defining issue of the 21st century. With opportunity comes sizeable risk and potential threat.

The two biggest powers in the world, China and the United States, are on a collision course.

History tells us that when a rising power meets a waning power, it leads to war.

The Ancient Greek historian Thucydides warned us of this 2,000 years ago, writing about the Peloponnesian War when a rising Athens struck fear into Sparta.

Historian Graham Allison says this power shift has played out 16 times over the past 500 years — and on 12 occasions, it has ended in war. Yet, time again we fail to heed history's lesson.

In 1914, the shifting balance of power between rising Germany and Britain sparked World War I.

The world thought it couldn't happen. Germany and Britain were each other's single biggest trading partners; the royal families were blood relatives — yet it did.

I think Tannin said something similar recently.

Quote:
In 2015, Global think tank the Rand Corporation prepared a report for the American military, and its title could not have been more direct: War with China: Thinking Through the Unthinkable.

It concluded that China would suffer greater casualties than the US if war was to break out now.

However, it cautioned, that as China's military muscle increased, so would the prospect of a prolonged destructive war.

War is no longer unthinkable
China is building a military to fight that war. It has increased its defence spending seven-fold over the past 20 years. It now officially spends around $180 billion a year on its military, but analysts believe the real figure is much higher.

It is focusing on its maritime power, building a blue water navy, submarines and missiles. It is pursuing what is known anti-access/area denial (A2/AD), an air, land and sea strategy to tie up and slow down advancing enemy forces.

The US is still much more powerful than China and spends more than $700 billion a year on defence. But it's also much more stretched, committing troops and fighting conflicts around the world, while China focuses on the home front.

War is the worst-case scenario.

China's leader Xi Jinping has warned that conflict between China and the US "would lead to disaster for both countries and the world at large". But war is no longer unthinkable, and Australia is arming itself.

As the old adage goes: "If you want peace, prepare for war."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-05/china-and-us-on-collision-course-lessons-from-history/12415316

roar 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:59 am

David wrote:
I’d feel a lot safer in a world in which aggressive denuclearisation was pursued, frankly. Us getting nukes only encourages more hostile countries around us to do the same. It’s amazing how many people don’t understand that.

Lots of people understand that, David. They also understand that it has to be a two way deal, otherwise one side is left defenseless. It's unfortunate that it's the state of the world but also pretty naive to think otherwise.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm

But are we even pursuing bilateral arms reduction initiatives? I fear that there's little appetite for it, not when so much political capital can be wrung from militarism (and literal capital from defence industry contracts).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 23 of 50   

Jump to: