Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Chinese imperialism and future Australian sovereignty

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And you don't need an IQ above 40 to know that it's all misdirection and defense via attack from China.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:02 pm

I think it suits a certain narrative to presume that. But the fact is that we don’t know, and that it’s literally illegal for us to even find out if we wanted to. But I’d be very surprised if we weren’t spying on them; wouldn’t you?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Ummm 5 eyes intelligence program? Of course we're gathering intelligence on them. Point?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 pm

So what was the point of your post? Why complain about them accusing us of doing something that we’re probably actually doing?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:10 pm

I’d be pissed off if we were t spying on them! WhAt kind of fantasy land do you live in?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 pm

David wrote:
So what was the point of your post? Why complain about them accusing us of doing something that we’re probably actually doing?

Oh FFS, really?

Using their state controlled media to publicly slag off Australia in yet another attempt to deflect criticism and comment away from them and their actions.

If China was a person, they'd be the one with lots of cash, flash car and house, hair trigger temper, utterly intolerant of criticism and grandma locked in the laundry washing dishes

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:45 pm

Quote:
China the unspoken threat at centre of new defence strategy

That's the headline.

Quote:
Australia has snapped awake from a long slumber with its new defence strategy.

It doesn't propose major new fleets of subs or strike fighters beyond the pre-existing plans. That's partly because they take many years and Australia has realised it has no years left.

The new plan instead seeks urgently to arm Australia with much more lethal weapons. Indeed, the Morrison government's strategy commits Australia to acquiring weapons systems that it long resisted for fear of seeming too aggressive.

But now the question is not whether it's too offensive but whether it provides defence enough.

So the plan is to boost the weapons defence up to just short of Nukes. For those we'll still rely on the USA.

So what's driving this?

Quote:
There is one threat, in five letters, that sits, unspoken, at the centre of the strategy – China. Australia now realises it lacks the tools for holding hostile forces of a major adversary at bay.

That major adversary, which is about to deploy its third aircraft carrier, has developed its military capability much faster than a complacent Canberra imagined just four years ago.

And China under Xi Jinping has demonstrated a more aggressively ambitious intent, too. Xi has cast aside the pretence of mutual respect and is now striving openly for dominance.

Yup, the wolf has cast off the sheepskin cloak, we know what we're dealing with and the more of this I read the less surprised I would be to find out Covid19 was released deliberately.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/china-the-unspoken-threat-at-centre-of-new-defence-strategy-20200630-p557qg.html

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:15 pm

^Therein lies the problem. You're now reading the same sort of content, day after day, elicited by current excited concerns, having known virtually nothing neutral or general about the subject prior.

Current concerns will only filter a tiny fraction of charged information about China to you.

Can you not see how this works to skew one's understanding of the whole?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:20 pm

I can see how it works, people have woken up to them, they've dropped the mask.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:36 pm

^You can't double down on no knowledge.

Piling on hysterically and conspiratorially in reaction to the latest thing you've read will not improve anyone's lot. Especially when the biggest concern of all is the gaping void of leadership and discipline at home.

You're becoming reactionary to a degree you've never been.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Meanwhile, we have just bought into a modern, medium-range stealthy anti-ship missile system. This is exactly the type of leading-edge hardware capability we can and must maintain to avoid being relentlessly bullied.

We also need, of course, to avoid over-dependence on a single trading partner, we need to establish and maintain honest, open relationships with other countries focused on long-term benefit to both (not short-term quick bucks), and we need to be well-led by people looking at the future and not stuck in the past.

Oh well, one out of four isn't bad.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 pm

^
Perhaps not, over the last few years I have seen a lot work being pulled out of China and back here with automated and environmentally compliant factories. Not only that, I also see increased business with India going on within my industry. Its not all doom and gloom.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:13 pm

pietillidie wrote:

Piling on hysterically and conspiratorially in reaction to the latest thing you've read will not improve anyone's lot. Especially when the biggest concern of all is the gaping void of leadership and discipline at home.

I'm not hysterical, conspiratorial or reactionary and I don't need a detailed historical and cultural knowledge of China to be able to form opinions based on current facts.

Yes you lived in Sth Korea for several years and really got into their culture. That doesn't mean your aggressive defense of Chinese culture that you know bugger all about is in any way justified.

My opinion is mine, yours is yours

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

I'm not hysterical, conspiratorial or reactionary and I don't need a detailed historical and cultural knowledge of China to be able to form opinions based on current facts.

Yes you lived in Sth Korea for several years and really got into their culture. That doesn't mean your aggressive defense of Chinese culture that you know bugger all about is in any way justified.

My opinion is mine, yours is yours

And just how wrong your opinion can be, from Iraq to Donald Trump.

There is nothing to 'defend' about cultures; cultures are because they are. They're part of a flow of forces well beyond anyone's control; there's nothing to 'attack' or 'defend' about them. The reason we try to understand them is to better understand and productively engage people who inhabit those different frameworks.

If you're not trying to do that, all you are doing is reacting and contributing to a populist hysteria. And you know full well that populist hysteria only leads to idiotic electoral decisions and policies. And if you know that, why persist? Do you enjoy contributing to hysteria and the poor judgement which follows?

Face it: you haven't even been to China before; you wouldn't have the slightest concept of the place, let alone how it differs from Korea, Japan and Southeast Asia. You haven't even made an effort to understand the histories and cultures of these places from the comfort of your couch. I don't blame people for not having visited somewhere, but there's no excuse for thinking that this week's news cycle is going to bring you up to speed on something as complex as a civilisation and the life and times of 1.4B people, let alone justify chest beating displays.

Thank gawd you got Brexit right. At least we can hang our hats on that.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:11 pm

Blah blah blah China blah blah blah culture blah blah blah {insert insults here}
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 21 of 50   

Jump to: