Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buttifant

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:33 am
Post subject: ButtifantReply with quote

Someone alluded to the change in fitness regimes in one of the other threads but I think it's a topic worthy of its own thread. The last few games have shown a side as manic, aggressive, pressing and running that I've not seen, at least for the Pies, in many a year.

I always thought Buttifant was the cream of the crop but I'm starting to wonder now. On Friday, we looked really fit and firing, Carlton did t seem to have much in the running dept.

Thought?

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit and firing for three quarters anyway. Would have been nice to finish off as intense.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:05 am

There were rumours of Bucks and Butters disagreeing a lot last year so it was time for him to move on.

He served us very well, but it was time for a fresh approach, and now we have that we are seeing players being able to play the way Bucks wants them to.

A coach needs people around him who believe in his philosophy and approach to the game, and Bucks now has that.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:08 am

didick wrote:
Fit and firing for three quarters anyway. Would have been nice to finish off as intense.

I think that will come when our young players get a few more pre-seasons under their belts.

As Bucks said in his presser, we lost 700 games out of our backline, and replaced it with 70.

Brenny 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:11 am

To me it doesn't seem like a fitness thing, but rather it looks like the players have gone 'oh shit' and are starting to get confidence and belief in their game.

It looks, to me, like Collingwood are starting to get some consistency in whose in each week and they can start to play as a unit better.

I don't think Butters was the god we made out to be. Yes he's prob the most knowledgeable in the league, seeing he has a PhD, but we Collingwood fans do seem to put our staff and players on a pedestal.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:04 pm

HE has joined the old mongrel at the Bluescum, like others, his career is now in a downward slide to footy oblivion, ala Dollar Daisy.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:29 pm

It's Buck's team now. Buttifant was very much on the the same wave length as mad mick. Buck's has new ideas, a fresh approach and a different perspective on the game and fitness to Buttifant which happens. We have to move forward, not backward or stagnate. Change brings with it new challenges. We're seeing the benefits of that change now.
stoid Virgo

stoid

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Brenny wrote:

I don't think Butters was the god we made out to be. Yes he's prob the most knowledgeable in the league, seeing he has a PhD, but we Collingwood fans do seem to put our staff and players on a pedestal.

Yes he does have a PhD... But it wasn't done on athletes rather Asthmatic children. Useless really when it comes to working with athletes. There are also many other sports scientists with PhD's. However, these guys have them based on work with athletes... I'd say that's far more appropriate.

If I could say what I really know, you'd pi*s yourself laughing Wink
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Buttifnat was with us in 2010 when we looked pretty damn fit. Obviously it's important to go for 1% improvement all over the park but I think that's probably what we're looking at here, not that Buttifant was rubbish and we're so much better off without him.

If we had Grundy, Langdon, Fasalo etc last year instead of Jolly, Didak, Johnson etc (no knock on the guys but they were all at the end of their career, body wise at least!) we might have looked this fit under Buttifant.

- Ben
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:57 pm

stoid wrote:
Brenny wrote:

Yes he does have a PhD... But it wasn't done on athletes rather Asthmatic children. Useless really when it comes to working with athletes. There are also many other sports scientists with PhD's. However, these guys have them based on work with athletes... I'd say that's far more appropriate.

If I could say what I really know, you'd pi*s yourself laughing Wink

You have my attention Exclamation
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:42 pm
Post subject: Re: ButtifantReply with quote

dalyc wrote:
Someone alluded to the change in fitness regimes in one of the other threads but I think it's a topic worthy of its own thread.

That was me. It was over in the "what has changed?" thread, where discussion centred on explaining our changed fortunes in terms on game plans. And yes, it is worthy of a fresh thread.

Tannin wrote:
One factor which has not been mentioned in the thread so far is the changeover in fitness coaches. According to Josh Thomas, the new fitness regime involves a heavy emphasis on running, running and more running. I don't reckon the game plan has changed all that much, it's simply that our players are now fit enough to implement it properly. They have the tank to get back and pressure when the opposition has the ball. It's a small difference but crucial.

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Butters like Thomo went and joined sugar daddy at the scum... Daddy will pay!
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:51 pm

The intensity has been good but the fade outs are becoming a real concern and that suggests fitness
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:49 pm

The final quarter switch offs do concern me.
I'm not sure whether it is a fitness thing or just mental but the youth factor might cover both those?!?!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:02 pm

I think a lot of it is mental, especially this week with the bye up next.

Have we had any games this year where we faded in the last and the game was in the balance? Off the top of my head, I can't think of an example. We fought out the Geelong and Sydney games; without looking at the record, I think the rest were all decided long before the end of the third term.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: