Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cloke

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:23 am
Post subject: ClokeReply with quote

It's simple. He needs to have a big game this week and kick a bag of goals. The game against north was a good example of his capabilities up forward but that's all we've seen from him this year - nothing else. Ok, I'll admit that the delivery to him has been less than ordinary sometimes, and maybe he's not leading to the right spots or our forward line is too crowded or opposition teams have figured him out, and know to shut him down early to prevent him from having an influence in the game. He's a confidence player and has conceded himself that, if he gets into the game early then that lifts his confidence and effects his game thereafter. Maybe it's our game plan and the inclusion of white that's responsible also for his form?

Look we all know what the bloke is capable of, and that is to dominate opponents and take big marks. The scum have a shitty defense so this is his opportunity to tear them to shreds and kick half a dozen (goals) four behinds and one howler from 20 out on a slight angle on the full.

I thought forwards were given more leeway this year in terms of contesting a mark. That's basically giving him free reign to dominate defenders. Come on Clokey, it's time to lift and the time is now. Kicking 6 (goals) tonight would be a good start.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis played quite well against Essendon, particularly in the second half.
He didn't kick any goals (well, he kicked one but it was disallowed) but he contributed to some goals.
The goals will come.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:42 am

True but what I'm getting at is these performances are few and far between. I want to see more from and find other ways of getting into the game. He looks a shadow of the player he was a couple of years ago when he was the most feared and physical forward in the league.
slydog81 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:44 am

If he could kick straight he would be the best fwd in the league.

His kicking this year has been terrible.

Hoping Reid's return free's him up a bit more.

robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:48 am

Like Bucks, we need to focus more upon the overall team effort, rather than selecting and continually highlighting individual performances ... a players' overall contribution to the team effort, rather than 'individual highlights and downlights', should become the greater focus ...
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:49 am

Clokey was having kicking practice down at the Ponsford stand end before the game. Sprayed them everywhere. Was a bad sign. He must get on his bike & lead hard. Run his opponent into the ground & not let them hold him or double team him.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:06 am

woftam wrote:
Clokey was having kicking practice down at the Ponsford stand end before the game. Sprayed them everywhere. Was a bad sign. He must get on his bike & lead hard. Run his opponent into the ground & not let them hold him or double team him.

This.

We all would love him to go bananas and tear this mob a new one (he kicked 5 last time), but I'd be happy with even a two or three goal performance from Clokey as part of a more varied spread of goal kickers...
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:57 am

"Modern football" is not about one player kicking goals any more it's about the spread of goal kickers. Statistically the bester your spread the better you do (thanks to 360 or one of those shows). Cloke's strength this year has been to play the role he has been asked to play while still offering a contest in the air and on the ground. It would be fantastic to see him kick a bag but if the team wins and he does his job who really cares in the end? As Michael Jordan discovered in his career scoring 50 each night doesn't bring championships but working harder to play the team game does.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:03 am

The Cloke of old where he took 10-12 contested marks and averaged 2-3 goals a game is gone sorry people, and it's got more to do with the modern game than anything else.

Unless you work your arse off like Riewoldt does (Nick, not sooky boy Jack) then you aren't going to take 10-12 marks a game now.

I think the club would be quite happy with Trav's last 3 weeks, his goal assists have been huge in that 3 weeks period.

And that's one thing that Cloke will be judged on now, GOAL ASSISTS.

Last week in that second quarter he contributed to at least 3 of our 6 goals, if not more.

He doesn't "need" a big game tonight score wise, but it would be nice to see still.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:12 am

GlovemanGayfer wrote:
"Modern football" is not about one player kicking goals any more it's about the spread of goal kickers. Statistically the bester your spread the better you do (thanks to 360 or one of those shows). Cloke's strength this year has been to play the role he has been asked to play while still offering a contest in the air and on the ground. It would be fantastic to see him kick a bag but if the team wins and he does his job who really cares in the end? As Michael Jordan discovered in his career scoring 50 each night doesn't bring championships but working harder to play the team game does.

This
Spot on
Often he is dragging his and another defender away from the contest and our resting Mids are kicking goals.
There have been some marks he would have liked to hang on to. There would have been some goals he would have liked to of kicked. In terms of the role he is playing though I think he has contributed every game.
White is now a real threat and if Reid gets back and we can play the three with Clokes and Whites work ethic - look out !

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:08 am

Check out Cloke's goal tallies in:
2010 - Premiership year.
2011 - Our best ever Home & Away season.
2007 - He won the Copeland.

Much prefer 40-50 odd from Cloke & a chance at a flag, than 70 odd and finish about 7th or 8th.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
roar 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:09 am

There is no denying that apart from the North game, Cloke has been out of form. I do back the big fella to get his mojo back soon (hopefully this week!), but I just cannot understand how a professional forward can be so bad at kicking for goal. Unacceptable, IMO, and they (club and Travis) need to do more to fix it.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:22 am

Clokes work rate off the ball has been sensational. The more White adjusts to the game plan the more White becomes dangerous thus taking more pressure from Trav. His defence pressure is enormous and has caused many turnovers which resulted in goals. Look at the bigger picture rather than the goals.

As for his kicking, if he thinks about it he misses. If he just wheels around and goes bang his accuracy is there.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:23 am

I'm using dialup so I cant see your webcam.
Az 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Getting tired of people saying we should be focused on a team effort rather than Clokey's individual output. Here's the cold hard facts. We will not get to a grand final without Cloke kicking goals full stop. This combination of getting blanketed by defenders and poor kicking for goal has taken out our greatest weapon, and unless we find a way to change that - we can kiss any flag talk goodbye for now. It's pretty clear by 7 rounds in that the scumps have made a decision that they're going to keep letting players constantly infringe on Cloke for the rest of the year. They're not blind. There's no possible way they could have not noticed how many times Cloke has earned a free by the rule book. So unless he takes his opportunities while he can, we are without that extra gear that will make us as dangerous a team as Hawthorne.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: