Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jackson Paine: On the Move?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
rand corp wrote:
Some talk about of a straight swap between Paine and Karnezis but I'm not enthused by it, prefer to give Paine another year.

In his second year Paine was our leading goal kicker and was the fourth highest goal kicker in the VFL, was our highest ranked player for score assists in the VFL, was our equal highest taker of marks (107) and was fifth on our VFL list for total disposals as a key forward. That is not a bad effort anyway you look at it for a second year tall key forward.

Obviously, the kid still has plenty of development left in him, not sure if we could expect the same from Karnezis.

With Cloke, White, Reid, Witts, Lynch and maybe even Karnezis available as marking forwards for us in 2014, I can't see how Paine could possibly get a senior game.

THIS.

I too can't see how he can get in on merit based on last years VFL performance. Better suited elsewhere. And we need better options.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:11 pm

^Throw in the highly rated Darcy Moore in a season's time.

This thread needs to merge with the karnezis one in Draft and Trade

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
rand corp wrote:
Some talk about of a straight swap between Paine and Karnezis but I'm not enthused by it, prefer to give Paine another year.

In his second year Paine was our leading goal kicker and was the fourth highest goal kicker in the VFL, was our highest ranked player for score assists in the VFL, was our equal highest taker of marks (107) and was fifth on our VFL list for total disposals as a key forward. That is not a bad effort anyway you look at it for a second year tall key forward.

Obviously, the kid still has plenty of development left in him, not sure if we could expect the same from Karnezis.

With Cloke, White, Reid, Witts, Lynch and maybe even Karnezis available as marking forwards for us in 2014, I can't see how Paine could possibly get a senior game.

THIS.

I too can't see how he can get in on merit based on last years VFL performance. Better suited elsewhere. And we need better options.

Paine is still a fantastic lead up mark and while erratic, he can kick goals. And remember his 2013 form was in spite of a shoulder (from memory) issue which he's had operated on since the season ended. Definitely needs to improve his aerobic capacity and his ground ball work but I'm not discounting his potential to step up. He reminds me a lot of Crameri and I'm sure we'd all like a player of that ilk roaming our forward 50.

I'm not however convinced on Karnezis. Is he a talent that hasn't blossomed at Brisbane because of homesickness or is he just inherently lazy? Can he take an opportunity at a Melbourne based club and realise the potential? Don't know!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:24 pm

sounds like he is heading north.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:39 pm

rand corp wrote:

Love those stats. It's just a pity I watched him play so often this year - else I would be excited. He's well short of the standard. That's not to say that he can't develop - he's only 20. But the fact that he couldn't crack the seniors even once this year, despite a dearth of functioning tall forwards, speaks volumes about how the Club saw his season.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:46 pm

jackcass wrote:

Definitely needs to improve his aerobic capacity and his ground ball work but I'm not discounting his potential to step up. He reminds me a lot of Crameri and I'm sure we'd all like a player of that ilk roaming our forward 50.!

Crameri really? Geez I must have been watching the wrong bloke at Vic Park in that case. Again, hope I'm wrong but the boy isn't going to get a game ahead of White or Keeffe or even Lynch.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:29 pm

In fairness Crameri didn't even make his AFL debut until he was 22 back in 2010 whilst Paine doesn't turn 21 until June next year.
Nearly 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Unfortunately, the lad is as good as the (speculative) pick 50 he was. Let him go to greener pastures, even if we get nothing in return.

To win a premiership we need (by my reckoning) 15 players worthy of first round draft picks, plus 15 worthy of second round.

Jackson just doesn't fit the bill
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:09 am

AFL Trade Tracker wrote:
The only player likely to join the club is Collingwood's Jackson Paine, who could be traded in exchange for Pat Karnezis.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:13 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
AFL Trade Tracker wrote:
The only player likely to join the club is Collingwood's Jackson Paine, who could be traded in exchange for Pat Karnezis.

I'd take that swap. Paine has potential but isn't tall enough for the way he plays to be a big impact at AFL level imo. The other bloke offers more versatility.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:33 am

According to daughter no. 2, SEN news had his manager saying Paine is quite distraught at going to QLD. Comes from a close supportive family.

Mind you, this could be an IQ balance:

What with Heater going to GWS our footy club's collective IQ would have been far too high Wink

Paine I think was applying to or was going studying law. THis also affects his uni studies (assuming he was studying). On an individual level, the horse trading must be a huge shock & in some cases could be very disruptive / traumatic.

TheGaffer 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:56 am

watt price tully wrote:
According to daughter no. 2, SEN news had his manager saying Paine is quite distraught at going to QLD. Comes from a close supportive family.

Mind you, this could be an IQ balance:

What with Heater going to GWS our footy club's collective IQ would have been far too high :wink:

Paine I think was applying to or was going studying law. THis also affects his uni studies (assuming he was studying). On an individual level, the horse trading must be a huge shock & in some cases could be very disruptive / traumatic.

On SEN this morning, Paul Connors (his manager) had said to him last week it was a 2% chance of him going and he was distraught and now its a 2% chance he won't be going. Paine knows he is 3-4 in the pecking order for a tall forward now that Jesse White is with the club. Therefore a move to Brisbane might be the best for his career as they need some talls forwards there. Connors expects a straight swap with Pat Karnezis.
Sherwood Pie Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:02 am

Just heard from someone within the Lions' camp that this is a done deal and will be announced today - straight swap of Paine for Karnezis.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:06 am

swoop42 wrote:
In fairness Crameri didn't even make his AFL debut until he was 22 back in 2010 whilst Paine doesn't turn 21 until June next year.

Exactly!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:12 am

jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Exactly!

However I see Karnezis with a much better chance of getting a senior game in his position than Payne would due to the great depth now. Rolling Eyes I think Payne has a truck load of potential but at present is way down the pecking order so he might as well go to a club where he has a very realistic chance of playing regular seniors Daz....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: