Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL website problems

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 pm
Post subject: AFL website problemsReply with quote

Anyone else have problems with this website, such as

1. browser freezes regularly when it is open
2. match centre doesn't update
3. browser slows down and cannot activate other tabs while it is open

Fair dinkum, I dread opening it these days. I don't have this problem with any other site.

Oh, and I recommend everyone DO NOT buy a windows phone (eg new Nokia). The phone and system is great, but the AFL can't be assed making the AFL app run on windows phones. Only phones you can't watch games on. Very disappointing.

Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

AFL website is still in 1999.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Anyone else? You mean everyone else. Big T. THe AFL site is notorious as THE worst major website known anywhere. I know techie people in the USA and Canada who are amazed at the incredible all-round badness of the AFL website, and use it in course material as a bad example to show their students how not to design or code a web page.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:33 pm

The CA website runs a close second.

Do the sponsors (and they're MAJOR ones) not know ??

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
colin_wood 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:41 pm

The lead programmer is fixing this now....live from AFL HQ:

KioskIBM360.jpg

Big T 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:08 am

Tannin wrote:
Anyone else? You mean everyone else. Big T. THe AFL site is notorious as THE worst major website known anywhere. I know techie people in the USA and Canada who are amazed at the incredible all-round badness of the AFL website, and use it in course material as a bad example to show their students how not to design or code a web page.

Can you believe i bought a windows phone? The dads who bought Beta video players in 1979 would be proud of me.

mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:06 pm

I've had this come up a few times, even on the Pies site;

Ugly pic.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Tannin wrote:

Ah, but all will be well when the most expensive National Broadband Network in history finally comes online (by 2022 at least Razz ). Of course by then fibre optics will be obsolete (the Japs and Koreans already have services delivering speeds 20 times faster than the NBN promises). And the real sting on the tale will be when this future monopoly service starts charging punters on a costs recovery basis. We will then look back on Telstra's service with envy as most of us won't be able to afford the internet. Wink
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:01 pm

jack_spain wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Ah, but all will be well when the most expensive National Broadband Network in history finally comes online (by 2022 at least Razz ). Of course by then fibre optics will be obsolete (the Japs and Koreans already have services delivering speeds 20 times faster than the NBN promises). And the real sting on the tale will be when this future monopoly service starts charging punters on a costs recovery basis. We will then look back on Telstra's service with envy as most of us won't be able to afford the internet. Wink

Well, you can come up here Jack and have a beer with me by fast train as early as 2053!!!

duggieboy 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Yes I have had all of those issues, just like everyone else.

The thing that gets me, is that it continues on, year after year.

Surely they can't be that ignorant????
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Big T wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Well, you can come up here Jack and have a beer with me by fast train as early as 2053!!!

Laughing Brilliant Big T. If Labor gets re-elected they promise to build it. Mind you we'll be as broke as Greece and Spain put together if they do. Razz
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:14 pm

The Telstra sponsored club websites are apalling

Compared to the NFL etc, it's embarrassing...

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:51 pm

jack_spain wrote:
Ah, but all will be well when the most expensive National Broadband Network in history finally comes online (by 2022 at least Razz ). Of course by then fibre optics will be obsolete

Look Jack, if you want to be a retarded technological moron who doesn't understand the basic physics of data transmission, that's fine. You are entitled to be as ignorant about networking and modern technology as you want to be, but do at least try not to make such a fool of yourself in a public place, OK. For your own good, don't touch this topic again unless you are willing to learn a few technical fundamentals which will help you avoid posting such howlers in future.

PS: not even the giant speed leap provided by the NBN will be able to fix the AFL website. The AFL site suffers from horrendously bad programming and design skills, not transmission issues.

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:02 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
The Telstra sponsored club websites are apalling

Compared to the NFL etc, it's embarrassing...

Yep, absolutely disgraceful.

Been this while for some time too, so either no one can be arsed giving feedback, or the clubs/AFL don't care.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:14 pm

King Malta wrote:
Yep, absolutely disgraceful. Been this while for some time too

Just so. As a matter of fact, the only people who can remember a time when the AFL website did not suck more than a St Kilda forward on a club trip also remember rushing home after the game to watch The Winners on black and white TV. OK, I admit that there was no Internet them, but that's a mere detail - they key point is that during the golden era we call the 1970s the AFL really and truly did not have the very worst website in the universe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: