Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 266, 267, 268 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You start out young with ideals largely formed by your parents, either adopted or rebelled against, and limited life experience.

As you get older, most people have life experiences that mean they either reinforce, modify or change their views if not their fundamental principles.

Growing responsibilities also generally leads to a different perspective. Young, single, living with parents or in share house vs having a job, kids and a mortgage/rent to pay can focus your perspective differently.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Summer 🙄
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am

You missed summer while you were hobbling around the place, it was over 30 one day while you were away. You missed out.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:59 pm

I think "PC gone mad" is mostly a myth, but the British really do take it to the next level sometimes.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/aug/14/first-ads-banned-for-contravening-gender-stereotyping-rules

I'm kind of torn on this: on one hand, I have always hated ads that present fathers as useless idiots and, as civil liberties go, I can't say freedom of speech for advertisers is high up on my list of concerns. Also, to be honest, there have been much worse ads than the ones banned here that I would happily have seen taken for a long walk on a short pier. On the other, am I the only one that finds this ad policing a bit ... Soviet?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:51 pm

Nah, you're not the only one. This line from the article says to me the law is fkn ridiculous

Quote:
The new rules, introduced at the beginning of the year, ban the depiction of men and women engaged in gender-stereotypical activities to help stop “limiting how people see themselves and how others see them and the life decisions they take”.

Good luck working around that.

Having raised 2 kids as a single parent I'm not fond of the meme that men are useless with kids, but I don't get frothing at the mouth upset over it.

How the hell can you market to a demographic without portraying that demographic and the typical user of the product?

I think "PC gone mad" is an apt description of, if not the intent of the law, at least how it's being policed.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Camel toe underwear

https://australianews-today.com/fake-camel-toe-underwear-is-the-weirdest-fashion-trend-ever/?fbclid=IwAR2p8lc8RghfzYp7rU36HDIJfsRPPcgAs5CuJAC-qOuvf9OrMe8cfZF_mFc

WTAF? Confused

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:11 pm

i think i just puked! thats gross
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:29 am

Not to trivialise this tragic incident – and I hope that nobody from here has friends or loved ones caught up in it – but I was gobsmacked by this line (bolded) towards the end of an article in The Guardian about the fatal volcanic eruption on White Island:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/10/i-dont-have-any-hope-whakatane-mourns-after-white-island-eruption

Quote:
The mayor of Whakātane, Judy Turner, said she would continue to support tourism on White Island, despite Monday’s tragic events. But with the death toll likely to climb, due to some of the injured being severely burned, hers is a sentiment that is finding little traction.

“At the time they went out [the eruption alert] was a level two, and in the matrix of things that is not considered a high reading ... they have been out numerous times at that level,” Turner said, appearing to defend the tour company’s decision to take 47 people to the island, despite weeks of increased activity.

“You’ll be aware that tourism is significant for our local area. We are aware there are questions and you can be assured ... that at the appropriate time we will answer the questions that need to be asked.”

However, many local residents told the Guardian they have felt unease about the tours for years. Some local Māori say the island, viewed as an ancestor by many, erupted as a sign of protest at too many visitors, too many boats.

Okay ... so what? I trust that we all know that volcanic eruptions aren't actually caused by too many visitors, and that assigning any sentience to a volcano is mere superstition; yet the newspaper seems to be presenting it as a valid alternative viewpoint. It's not as bad, perhaps, but it reminds me of that Christian preacher who blamed Black Saturday on Victoria's abortion laws. I'm not saying it's wrong to report those views, but surely it's essential to frame them properly. I certainly don't think it belonged in this news article.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Progressive media and universities love the "Noble Savage" meme. The bizarre superstitious nonsense is elevated to the divine and the primitive, brutal, tribal cultures are held up as paragons of virtue; in particular environmental virtue (custodians of the land etc).

It's just paternalistic racism with extra steps.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:41 pm

I don't want to overstate how bad or widespread it is, but it is definitely something I've noticed in the past – this almost cultural-relativist approach of treating Indigenous "knowledge"* as a valid alternative to Western science. (I should note I'm not 100% sure that's what's actually happening in this article; it could well just be that it was clumsily constructed.) But it definitely is the kind of thing that switches my inner arsehole-New-Atheist on. We can respect others' viewpoints and defend their right to believe in and practice traditional religions (I have no problem with the Uluru climbing ban, for instance), but it doesn't mean we need to pretend that a given myth, oral history or religious explanation of events is any more credible than, say, the Biblical account of the creation of the world.

*I should make a distinction here between myths and, say, actual traditional Indigenous sciences related to medicine, navigation, environmental care and so on, which are sometimes referred to in the same way – although there too I wonder if a little too much credulity can be offered sometimes. Perhaps I'm totally wrong on this, but I suspect that there's nothing traditional Indigenous societies knew about the world that we don't know now, even if it might have taken us a while to catch up in some cases.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:51 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Camel toe underwear

https://australianews-today.com/fake-camel-toe-underwear-is-the-weirdest-fashion-trend-ever/?fbclid=IwAR2p8lc8RghfzYp7rU36HDIJfsRPPcgAs5CuJAC-qOuvf9OrMe8cfZF_mFc

WTAF? Confused

5150 approves of this. (See camel toe / moose knuckle thread in the BB)
In the interest of gender equality, I’d like to see the meat and potatoes version for the men.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:08 pm

David wrote:
I don't want to overstate how bad or widespread it is, but it is definitely something I've noticed in the past – this almost cultural-relativist approach of treating Indigenous "knowledge"* as a valid alternative to Western science. (I should note I'm not 100% sure that's what's actually happening in this article; it could well just be that it was clumsily constructed.) But it definitely is the kind of thing that switches my inner arsehole-New-Atheist on. We can respect others' viewpoints and defend their right to believe in and practice traditional religions (I have no problem with the Uluru climbing ban, for instance), but it doesn't mean we need to pretend that a given myth, oral history or religious explanation of events is any more credible than, say, the Biblical account of the creation of the world.

*I should make a distinction here between myths and, say, actual traditional Indigenous sciences related to medicine, navigation, environmental care and so on, which are sometimes referred to in the same way – although there too I wonder if a little too much credulity can be offered sometimes. Perhaps I'm totally wrong on this, but I suspect that there's nothing traditional Indigenous societies knew about the world that we don't know now, even if it might have taken us a while to catch up in some cases.

You were correct a while back when you said The Guardian had lost the plot, it's as valid a news source as The National Enquirer or The Daily Quibbler.

There's plenty that Indigenous societies knew that we're still learning, in particular the medicinal properties of certain plants. I met an Archaeologist in the NT who is doing research into native plants in the Tiwi Islands when he's not leading tours to Kakadu for rent money, and there's still people researching plant and animal life in the Daintree and Amazon (what's left of it)

The Aboriginal people developed calender's localised to their own region which usually contain 6 seasons based on natural observation (eg, when this tree starts to flower, this food animal starts breeding season) which are a far better guide to Australia's weather than just imposing 4 seasons from the predictable northern hemisphere against a set of dates which don't work.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:12 pm

5150 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Camel toe underwear

WTAF? Confused

5150 approves of this. (See camel toe / moose knuckle thread in the BB)
In the interest of gender equality, I’d like to see the meat and potatoes version for the men.

There's a business opportunity for you right there. Razz Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:12 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

You were correct a while back when you said The Guardian had lost the plot, it's as valid a news source as The National Enquirer or The Daily Quibbler.

There's plenty that Indigenous societies knew that we're still learning, in particular the medicinal properties of certain plants. I met an Archaeologist in the NT who is doing research into native plants in the Tiwi Islands when he's not leading tours to Kakadu for rent money, and there's still people researching plant and animal life in the Daintree and Amazon (what's left of it)

The Aboriginal people developed calender's localised to their own region which usually contain 6 seasons based on natural observation (eg, when this tree starts to flower, this food animal starts breeding season) which are a far better guide to Australia's weather than just imposing 4 seasons from the predictable northern hemisphere against a set of dates which don't work.

Fair enough – I stand corrected. Embarassed

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:15 pm

LOL, don't feel bad. They've been here for over 50,000 years. At an average of 25 years per generation (it likely would have been a lot less but let's be conservative) that's 200,000 generations of accumulated knowledge. By comparison the (as we call it) Ancient Greek empire occurred less than 3000 years ago and lasted for around 350 years.

Europeans have been here for near 250 years and for the first 150+ we learned shit and behaved like displaced Poms unable to understand why things didn't work like back in England but just opposite seasons.

Many of the dreamtime stories can be unpacked and explained if you have the right lens and understand the local environment and archaeological/geological history but their accumulated knowledge of the flora and fauna and environment are stuff we're only scratching the surface of now.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 266, 267, 268 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 267 of 277   

Jump to: