Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australian entertainer arrested in Jimmy Savile case

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you don't know what a paedophile IS, doesn't make any other correct term 'softer'.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:17 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
He'll be out in late 2016, if he lives that long.

On a completely separate issue, it surprises me that the only "scalp" from this broad-ranging investigation is a foreigner. Looks to me like a sacrificial offering to assuage the British entertainment industry's collective guilt and shame for turning a blind eye to or actively condoning such behaviour on a widespread basis for the past half-century.

Hardly just a "British" problem, I'm pretty sure if you searched through the entertainment industry (singers actors sports champs) and indeed the general public you'd find plenty of it, protected child abusers from an era where there was no where to go for help and no one to believe you.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:21 am

David wrote:
A fair verdict, I think, all things considered.

Nope no where near enough

Age or distance from the crime should not matter

Should have got 10 years min, and it's far too late for good behaviour, he had that chance

With a guilty plea I'd go softer but only because the victims would truly have that vindication they should have

May he rot in hell

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:12 pm

1061 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

On a completely separate issue, it surprises me that the only "scalp" from this broad-ranging investigation is a foreigner. Looks to me like a sacrificial offering to assuage the British entertainment industry's collective guilt and shame for turning a blind eye to or actively condoning such behaviour on a widespread basis for the past half-century.

It's still going on in a way when we read in this thread and the arguments over the harsher terms with some insisting we use a softer word than pedophile.

See Wokko's post above, but also remember that "child molester" and "groper" are actually harsher terms than "paedophile" in its purest definition—it's the one person of the three who isn't necessarily a criminal, and it's also the one that Rolf isn't.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:28 pm

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Hardly just a "British" problem, I'm pretty sure if you searched through the entertainment industry (singers actors sports champs) and indeed the general public you'd find plenty of it, protected child abusers from an era where there was no where to go for help and no one to believe you.

Not just a British problem but you can't help but be bemused that after a thoroughgoing trawl through the underbelly of their entertainment industry they've managed to prosecute an Australian.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:14 pm

I think it's pretty clear when you go back and review the actual offences that he's not a paedophile.

Considering that the "groping" was decades ago there's potentially be some very nervous blokes reading about this case.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I think it's pretty clear when you go back and review the actual offences that he's not a paedophile.

Considering that the "groping" was decades ago there's potentially be some very nervous blokes reading about this case.

Not a bad thing

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Not really surprised by the sentencing despite personally thinking it was too light to be honest but with the factors of age and apparent health problems, the sentence shouldn't come as a shock to many in my opinion.

He'll be out within half of his sentence so I think that's approximately 2 years 11.5 months if my math serves me correctly. Therefore he'll be released at around May 2017 presuming he's still alive by then.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:38 pm

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Not a bad thing

Not a bad thing at all to have them shaking in their boots, but much more importantly there are some 30yo+ ladies who are thinking they can say something and there's a huge chance they will be believed.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:59 pm

Agreed, 1061 and TP. I think things have definitely changed for the better.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:19 pm

Good points by TP and 1061
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Not just a British problem but you can't help but be bemused that after a thoroughgoing trawl through the underbelly of their entertainment industry they've managed to prosecute an Australian.

Actually there have been a series of high-profile court cases involving British entertainment figures, and several have been jailed. The most significant is Max Clifford, but this does not get reported in the Australian press, as few Australians would know who they were. The thing that is most shocking in Rolf's case is the disparity between his public persona and his private actions. Australian stories often portray the British as evil, manipulative schemers against the innocent frontier, as do the Americans ; it's a post-colonial thing, I presume, but one that would be better left by the wayside.

Last edited by Mugwump on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Doesn't it?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Actually there have been a series of high-profile court cases involving British entertainment figures, and several have been jailed. The most significant is Max Clifford, but this does not get reported in the Australian press, as few Australians would know who they were. The thing that is most shocking in Rolf's case is the disparity between his public persona and his private actions. Australian stories often portray the British as evil, manipulative schemers against the innocent frontier, as do the Americans ; it's a post-colonial thing, I presume, but one that would be better left by the wayside.

Thanks for that Mugwump. There has been little in the media here about anyone other than Harris and Savile. Following this up, Stuart Hall's transgressions seem to have had some similarities with Harris' and he is also serving jail time.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:42 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Not so clear, actually ; It was revealed after the trial that they had found multiple images on Rolf's computer with clearly paedophilic imagery, though it's unclear what age the models were. The Crown prosecution service do not intend to bring the case, given the success of the case already brought, but it looked very damning. This has been in all of the major UK broadsheets, so it's not just net defamation. Given the distance from the crime, the fact that the imprisonment can only be retributive, not reforming or protective, I think 5-6 years (ie effectively three) is about right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10   

Jump to: