Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australian entertainer arrested in Jimmy Savile case

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Whatever the case, he has been brought to account for his actions now and, guilty consience or not, he is suffering the consequences.

As he should!

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:25 pm

To label Harris a pedophile would seem misleading to me given he was found guilty and allegations persist against a wide range of ages most of which seem to have occurred against girls aged in there early teen years to adult womanhood.

He's more a hepephile if anything.

While he has obviously crossed the line with his actions thankfully most of the allegations against him are at the lower scale of sexual assault.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:42 pm

He had sex with under aged CHILDREN so that pigeon holes him as a Pedo!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 am

David wrote:
Anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0qejLm1CRQ

Surprisingly thoughtful and sensitive educational film that's way less creepy and saccharine than the sort of thing put out by contemporary organisations like Bravehearts. Makes him seem like a pretty decent guy who genuinely wanted to do something about child abuse. Perhaps that was just the impression he wanted to convey, or perhaps there was a real cognitive dissonance there between the sort of person he wanted to be and what he did.

Yes I saw this video surface yesterday on YouTube and I must say it's creepy watching it knowing full well what he was getting up to during that period of time. Granted the message of the video is effective and quite educational but it still didn't stop him from committing indecent acts on under-age children no matter whether he strived to be that type of person or not. It's quite frightening to watch this video to be honest.

One thing that did standout in this video was his ability to keep a straight face at 16:39-16:43 when he says that "some people don't act right with kids and they need help". Clearly that's a reflection of Rolf himself. If Rolf really did believe in trying to not be that person then he would have come forward earlier and admitted to police what he had done wrong and said that he needed help but the fact that he never did so and he didn't have the courage to plead guilty in his trial tells me that he has a lack of remorse of his actions or he doesn't understand the full magnitude of what he's done wrong.

One way or another he's going to be punished and age shouldn't matter in determining his sentence. If supposedly age did matter in regards to his sentence then it'll serve to be a bad precedent for similar cases like this in the future in British criminal law relating to sexual assault cases.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:36 am

1061 wrote:

I think you've missed the point completely. Although, conversely, Swoop may be incorrect as well because I believe Harris has been found guilty on at least one count of assaulting a pre-pubescent girl.

It's all armchair psychiatry really, and I haven't been following this closely, but the impression I'm getting is that he may not be a paedophile or a hebephile, just an opportunistic situational offender.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:58 am

David wrote:
1061 wrote:

I think you've missed the point completely. Although, conversely, Swoop may be incorrect as well because I believe Harris has been found guilty on at least one count of assaulting a pre-pubescent girl.

It's all armchair psychiatry really, and I haven't been following this closely, but the impression I'm getting is that he may not be a paedophile or a hebephile, just an opportunistic situational offender.

No I'm not the one missing the point here at all you are the one who is showing themselves to have no idea what you are rabbiting on about.

Please stop, just stop and relearn.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Sorry, 1061, but you're wrong.

A paedophile (or 'pedo') is someone who is primarily sexually attracted to prepubescent children (i.e. under 12). Not all paedophiles are child molesters and not all child molesters are paedophiles. Indeed, statistics suggest that as many as 50% of child abusers are not paedophiles but simply situational offenders (the converse statistics are unknown). You can do your own reading on this if you like, but these are all easily available facts.

Rolf Harris is probably not a paedophile. That fact doesn't make his crimes less or more excusable; it's just the way it is.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Dad went to school with him (and Bob Hawke). Mum says she got the one who didn't play around. Dad for what its worth says Harris should be punished no matter what health concerns he has.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:54 pm

What if it didn't happen?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:14 pm

David wrote:

A paedophile (or 'pedo') is someone who is primarily sexually attracted to prepubescent children (i.e. under 12). Not all paedophiles are child molesters and not all child molesters are paedophiles. Indeed, statistics suggest that as many as 50% of child abusers are not paedophiles but simply situational offenders (the converse statistics are unknown). You can do your own reading on this if you like, but these are all easily available facts.

Rolf Harris is probably not a paedophile. That fact doesn't make his crimes less or more excusable; it's just the way it is.

Any second now my head's going to blow.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Please, let us all know when it does. Smile
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:26 pm

David wrote:

You are spot on David.

Can i recommend a documentary "Are all men pedophiles"?
It is produced by a female, and explains David's point perfectly.
The laws regarding age of consent differ in every country and across every culture. I believe they even differ significantly amongst the states of Australia, or used to recently.

I don't know the details about Harris' victims nor crimes.
But for those who want him to do serious jail time, i hope you do know them.

p.s. ok i read this - http://www.smh.com.au/world/rolf-harris-guilty-the-victims-of-the-12-counts-of-indecent-assault-20140701-zsrip.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:07 pm

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:23 pm

^ A rare correct spelling! Shocked

After reading the article CC posted, I think it's actually pretty clear that Harris isn't a paedophile. Almost all of his victims were teenage girls. But the 'community nonce patrol' bus has already well and truly hit the freeway, so whatcha gonna do?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:44 pm

He was referred to as "The Octopus" by make up girls who generally aren't teenagers.

This quote is from Larry Pickering who having had Harris stay at his house predicted he would be found guilty.

Quote:
ROLF'S LAST CURTAIN CALL

I dont believe he is in any sense a paedophile. Rolf Harris is just a dirty old man. He is a talented octogenarian from another age where girls learnt to fend for themselves. Under the shadow of a despicable Jimmy Savile and in a climate of paedophile purges, he was always a gonner.

I copped a barrage of abuse for suggesting his guilt, but when his own friends had warned me not to allow my kids near him, and monitoring the time he had spent at my home, it was hard to believe otherwise.

Regardless, when he attends court again this Friday, he will likely suffer a custodial sentence. But he shouldnt, he is no threat to anyone, not now. A jail sentence will serve only to assuage the hurt of his victims.

Rolf was caught in the net of those trawling for paedophile fish and a name like Rolf Harris ensured applause for a big one that didnt get away.

Its a tragic shame that such an Aussie icon fell foul of decency and British justice. But Harris was more than a touchy feely pervert. Like many adored entertainers he felt he could freely follow his testosterone flushes with impunity.

Harris needs to be punished for crimes committed up to a half century ago but the presiding judge will consider that he is already condemned to suffer devastating shame for what remains of his shattered life.

Harris was just one of numerous uncles of families we learnt to placate or avoid, they were everywhere then and it must be asked if contemporaneous sentencing should apply to a bygone age.

I now feel sorry for him and his devoted family and I expect another barrage of abuse for that, but yesterday we lost a part of our talented heritage.

Rolf Harris lost everything.

The bit about contemporary sentancing for things of the past falls in line with my thinking, we often tend to view incidents of the past critically through the eyes of current views and practice, when they should first be viewed through the lens that existed at that time.

Having said that, groping or molesting is and never has been appropriate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10   

Jump to: