Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australian entertainer arrested in Jimmy Savile case

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And supposedly comic defamation is still defamation.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:39 pm

David wrote:
And supposedly comic defamation is still defamation.
Unless I have read that posters have actually named him in their posts all this is inuendo and an assumption that the posters have referred to him. There is no case David.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:06 pm

7 news tonight also reported that he "had been named" but stopped short of saying he had been arrested it by saying that he denied it.

Look, I'll totally reserve judgement until some facts present. insinuation doesn't equal charges or guilt.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:49 am

The name of this English based, 83 year old Australian entertainer is on the front page of today's Age.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:14 am

From today's Herald Sun.

Quote:
THE Australian entertainer arrested on suspicion of alleged sexual offences has been named in the British press as Rolf Harris.

The 83-year-old legendary star has been under investigation by Scotland Yard since last November after a woman came forward and made historical sex abuse claims against him.

Harris, who has not been charged, reportedly strenuouosly denied the allegations but has declined to comment publicly. His management would also not return calls.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/rolf-harris-arrested-in-sex-abuse-inquiry-20130419-2i5ss.html

Couple of key points.

"A woman" means 1 claim not multiple.

The insinuation is that it is a single case involving an adult, not a child/children

He has not been charged with anything. At this stage there are no allegations to answer, just a complaint that Police are investigating.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:06 am

Trial by media is ok it seems when it's someone people hate. Be it a person someone people like and the excuses fly left, right and centre.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:33 am

Don't know if anyone is still following this, but it doesn't look good.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/09/rolf-harris-assaulted-girl-13-court

I don't really feel any shock about it being Rolf Harris; he was only really ever someone I was peripherally aware of. I just find it deeply saddening how individuals in a position of power can mistreat the vulnerable so easily. If the allegations are proven to be accurate, he will (and should) spend the rest of his life in jail.

If the prosecutor is right about his sexual preference, how much better if there had not been a culture of blindness about child abuse and sexual attraction to minors back then and if people like Harris had had access to preventative counselling long before finding himself in these situations. He might have been able to live some kind of ethical existence, and at least one girl's life would not have been damaged. As it is, any sentence the court hands down will be too little, too late.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:22 am

True, all of it.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:09 pm

David wrote:
Don't know if anyone is still following this, but it doesn't look good.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/09/rolf-harris-assaulted-girl-13-court

I don't really feel any shock about it being Rolf Harris; he was only really ever someone I was peripherally aware of. I just find it deeply saddening how individuals in a position of power can mistreat the vulnerable so easily. If the allegations are proven to be accurate, he will (and should) spend the rest of his life in jail.

If the prosecutor is right about his sexual preference, how much better if there had not been a culture of blindness about child abuse and sexual attraction to minors back then and if people like Harris had had access to preventative counselling long before finding himself in these situations. He might have been able to live some kind of ethical existence, and at least one girl's life would not have been damaged. As it is, any sentence the court hands down will be too little, too late.

It's pretty clear from the multiple depositions that Rolf was a serious lecher, but i think you have to be in court to make truly reliable judgements about the merits of a case. Whether Rolf is a paedophile or not, I truly pity people who have those feelings. I don't think our sexual orientations and motives are things we choose, and it must be horrible - just horrible - to have to manage that kind of intrinsically destructive desire. As you said, David, counselling and help for a sickness would be better than using jail as a first resort - though i can imagine victims feeling differently about it. If Rolf is found guilty, then restitution is required, but I can't believe that locking up an 84 year old man who is no longer a threat is a humane response. What is most shocking is the gross conflict between his beneficent, child-like persona and the private man.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:46 pm

It's a fair point regarding jailing old people who committed crimes many years ago. Should justice have a time limit? Or perhaps the question should be framed differently: should there be some other way of dealing with cases where the defendant is no longer an imminent threat to the community? It's a tough topic and one I'd love to explore in greater depth.

Re: sexual orientations, I couldn't agree with you more. We have a long way to go in dealing with these issues humanely, but there are positive signs around to suggest that we're slowly getting on the right track.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:43 am

David wrote:
It's a fair point regarding jailing old people who committed crimes many years ago. Should justice have a time limit? Or perhaps the question should be framed differently: should there be some other way of dealing with cases where the defendant is no longer an imminent threat to the community? It's a tough topic and one I'd love to explore in greater depth.

Re: sexual orientations, I couldn't agree with you more. We have a long way to go in dealing with these issues humanely, but there are positive signs around to suggest that we're slowly getting on the right track.

It is complex - and it depends on the crime. Like most people, I'd happily hound the Dr Mengeles of the world to their death-bed, even though they were no threat at that point. So my principles are not very consistent, and I suspect my female friends might argue that it's 'cause i'm a man and I find it hard to personalise the alleged Harris crime sufficiently. It will be an interesting case, anyway.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:34 am

His victims would feel comfort with him in jail, that's good enough for me. And empty his bank account. His career that got the money got the kids, give the money to his victims for counciling. You don't want to put him in a normal jail, then make him work his days out in a home or something, his victims need closure, and the old bastard should not get away with it.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Related case, pointed cartoon.

boofa 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:23 am

GUILTY.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:36 am

News story is here:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/30/rolf-harris-guilty-indecent-assault

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10   

Jump to: