Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Departed Premiers - 21 gone 2-2-5-3-0-5-0-1-1-2 - 2 left

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

npalm wrote:
That's a hell of a list. I count 11 A graders. Should have won at least one more flag. To quote (sort of) steppenwolf......God damn the succession plan.

What year in your opinion would you think we may have won another? And what year in your opinion would have been a better year for mick to leave?

npalm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:38 pm

We probably shouldn't hijack this thread but..... I strongly suspect that if Bucks had walked away from the succession (and gone elsewhere) after we had won in 2010 that we probably would have won the flag in 2011 and\or 2012.

In 2011 Malthouse was clearly 'distracted' by the succession plan and I have no doubt it affected his and the team's performance at the pointy end of the season.

In 2012 the team was still good enough and I think they would have performed better under Malthouse than under a first year coach in Buckley.
Also, Malthouse may have been able to play a role in shortening the Cloke contract negotiations that year. If you remember, there was a lot of noise around those negotiations that dragged out all season and right thru the finals series.

When should Malthouse have gone? Well, if we had won at least one extra flag then he should have been kept on for at least another 3 years after that.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:27 pm

npalm wrote:
That's a hell of a list. I count 11 A graders. Should have won at least one more flag. To quote (sort of) steppenwolf......God damn the succession plan.

11...I think that's a stretch and I doubt all 11 were A graders in the same season.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:16 pm

I do think sidy will retire in 2021 and pendles in 2022.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:12 pm

simon tonna wrote:
npalm wrote:

What year in your opinion would you think we may have won another? And what year in your opinion would have been a better year for mick to leave?

The question isn't directed at me, but I'd like to answer this.

I think we were capable of winning either 2011 (2nd) and/or 2012 (4th). I wonder how much the constant talk of the succession plan hindered the 2011 team, particularly at the final stretch of the season.

Malthouse probably would have been moved on at the end of 2013, once it was clear the team he built over several years was no longer going to win another flag and a rebuild was required.

By the time Malthouse was well into his Carlton tenure, it was clear he was finished at the top.

E 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:50 pm

Jezza wrote:
simon tonna wrote:
npalm wrote:

The question isn't directed at me, but I'd like to answer this.

I think we were capable of winning either 2011 (2nd) and/or 2012 (4th). I wonder how much the constant talk of the succession plan hindered the 2011 team, particularly at the final stretch of the season.

Malthouse probably would have been moved on at the end of 2013, once it was clear the team he built over several years was no longer going to win another flag and a rebuild was required.

By the time Malthouse was well into his Carlton tenure, it was clear he was finished at the top.

We lost the 2011 flag in the prelim. Remember what a great game it was. Took everything from us. We suffered too many injuries and were emotionally spent. Geelong cruised in the other prelim because their opposition were crapola! people always forget that.

Winning a flag is hard. A lot has to go right and you need some lucky bounces sometimes....

Look at what happened this year after the famous victory against the WCE.

E 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:52 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
npalm wrote:

11...I think that's a stretch and I doubt all 11 were A graders in the same season.

it was a team of elite midfielders. Elite. Or E for short. Its how i got my name.....

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:21 pm

How does anyone manage to doubt the quality of the 2011 side? Or the fact that idiots in suits have cost us FAR too many flags?
My earliest clear memories of Collingwood are from the end of the 1960s, early 70’s. When I started school I showed up in a Magpie jumper. It had a 6 on the back. A year or two later that #6 kicked 143 chikos in a season. They went back to back minor perms in 69-70. Played finals every year but one (‘76). GFs in 64, 66, 70, 77(2), 79, 80, 81.
8 Grannies, no flags. Over the next 2 decades we played ONE Granny. Our leanest run in 130 odd years. But at least we broke the drought. 32 years is a bloody long time when you’re consistently among the best teams. Not like being Footscray or Melb. The latter still to break one of the longest droughts in the game after dumping Quadruple flag Coach, the great Norm Smith.
The comp learned from that mighty cock-up. Well… most did.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13   

Jump to: