Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I hate the Olympics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming home from the G last night their were two members of the Australian Olympic rowing team collecting money for their expenses. My son and I both dipped in a gave a note donation. I hope she can look back at her time as an Olympian in the future with pride and a sense of enjoyment and satisfaction.

At the end of the day there are young Aussies who are chasing their sporting dreams. Many just started off participating in their chosen sport at school and it evolved from there. I am no fan of the IOC and the leeches that live off it but I wish all the athletes the best of luck.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Tannin wrote:
Foolish, no, downright stupid question, David.

Dane Swan is not a violent criminal with a history of bashing other people on the same team so badly that they have practically no face.

What part of the words "violent", "vicious", "unrepentant" and "criminal" are you having trouble understanding?

Wrong. Swan, as most people on here would be aware, has in fact been convicted of a very similar crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dane_Swan

Quote:
In 2003, Swan was charged following a brawl at Federation Square in which a security guard was knocked unconscious.[11] The bashing was so brutal that it left the victim with "permanent brain damage". Swan was charged with 13 offences, including assault, affray and intentionally causing serious injury.[12] Swan was convicted of affray and ordered to perform community service and pay $100,000 to the victim. In an interview in 2010, Swan detailed how close the incident came to ending his football career. Coach Mick Malthouse gave him a second chance, believing that Swan did not deserve to have his career derailed because of one stupid decision.[13][14]

One claim you've made repeatedly is that D'Arcy is unrepentant. Unless you're privy to further information, that claim is based entirely on the fact that D'Arcy filed for bankruptcy rather than pay the damages awarded against him. You seem to have presumed that D'Arcy has simply made a tactical decision in order to get out of paying compensation. Has it not occurred to you that he is actually unable to pay? His bankruptcy claim will, I presume, need to be upheld by some authority or other in order for him to escape payment; I wager that this would never occur if his filing were as frivolous as you assume. Apart from the presumption of innocence that we are all rightly entitled to, I'm inclined to believe that he's fair dinkum — just between you and me, D'Arcy doesn't strike me as the thriftiest fellow in the world.

Beyond this, you have no evidence that he is unrepentant, unless you consider the photo as some kind of evidence — and that would be on par with Woman's Day claiming that Kate is unhappy with 'Wills' because they snapped a photo of her frowning in a cafe. The fact is that you are talking about a person that you've never met, and know precious little about, beyond the fact that he physically assaulted another swimmer during a brawl. You may not think highly of people convicted of such activity, and I'd agree; but if you are to be consistent, you must also condemn Swan in similar terms.

At the end of the day, however, this is not the issue at hand. D'Arcy has already received a pretty significant punishment for his actions: exclusion from the 2008 Olympic Games. If the AOC had felt that a permanent ban was appropriate, they could have enforced it, but they didn't. Unless you believe in people being punished twice for the same act, that should be the end of the matter. The AOC have decided, however, to censure him again for an exceedingly trivial, harmless act. That is what I have been discussing since page 1, and, frankly, whether or not you think D'Arcy is a psychotic, unrepentant scumbag is irrelevant.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Very, very different, David, as you well know.

Swan's incident was part of a brawl, not a brutal bashing of an innocent party on his own team. Swan paid his compensation. And Swan's lapse was a oncer - not like Scumbag Nick who has reportedly made a habit of it and gone for at least one other athlete on his own team (read his bio on Wikipedia for example).

We do not "have no evidence" that Scumbag Nick is unrepentant - we have cast-iron PROOF that he is unrepentant. If he was actually repentant, he would have made at least some token effort to pay the compensation he was ordered to pay to the man he bashed repeatedly. Insteda, not a farkin' cracker. His actions show that he couldn't care less. And now, courtesy of this clip, we have even more evidence that his attitude to violence remains just the the same.

I have no idea why you persist in defending the waste of public money on this violent, anti-social scumbag criminal.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:50 pm

^I don't have a view on this specific matter because I don't know much about it, but I'm usually sympathetic with David's stance on like issues because the legal system is generally the best place for dealing with such things.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:21 pm

The legal system HAS dealt with it, it found Nick Scum GUILTY, it required him to pay compensation. The fact is that he has used some dishonest legal trickery to get out of paying any penalty, and more of the same to get onto the federal government sporting handout train.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Tannin wrote:
The legal system HAS dealt with it, it found Nick Scum GUILTY, it required him to pay compensation. The fact is that he has used some dishonest legal trickery to get out of paying any penalty, and more of the same to get onto the federal government sporting handout train.

But who determines what constitutes "dishonest legal trickery"? I know what you mean, but I don't see how we're better off overall approaching things that way.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Righ, OK, fine. So let's just give him thousands and thousands of dollars out of the taxpayers' bottomless money bucket and send him to represent Australia to the world as a sporting ambassador to show the world our values ....

... er .. right. As you were.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:23 pm

No I am not.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:48 pm

HAL, can you swim?
HAL 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 pm

No I don't think I can do you swim.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Tannin wrote:
Righ, OK, fine. So let's just give him thousands and thousands of dollars out of the taxpayers' bottomless money bucket and send him to represent Australia to the world as a sporting ambassador to show the world our values ....

So what you come back to isn't anything to do with the photos of him with Guns, it's about the selection criteria for athletes to get government funding and to be eligible for Olympic and Commonwealth Games selection in the first place. Fair enough.

A test of good character should be a part of the criteria and they should be able to take into account relevant criminal convictions.

He was convicted wasn't he? You can be "Found guilty" and also fined without a conviction being recorded. I'm guessing he wasn't convicted as if he had been he would have struggled to get a Visa to enter the USA.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:56 pm

Tannin wrote:

Yep, that seems to be what's going to happen. And the irony is that it was never actually in jeopardy.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:28 pm

stui magpie wrote:
So what you come back to isn't anything to do with the photos of him with Guns, it's about the selection criteria for athletes to get government funding and to be eligible for Olympic and Commonwealth Games selection in the first place.

He was convicted wasn't he?

Too right he was. Sentenced to jail too. But he didn't serve any time - he managed to get the sentence suspended. Then he was ALSO taken to court and sued for malicious damage. Lost that one too. Had to pay $150,000 compensation. Didn't pay up, just sued and counter-sued and appealed about non-selection endlessly 'till the gutless bloody administrators figured it was easier to select him in the team.

This caper with the guns only brought the idotic, craven administrative decision to restore him to the team back into the public eye.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:41 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
So what you come back to isn't anything to do with the photos of him with Guns, it's about the selection criteria for athletes to get government funding and to be eligible for Olympic and Commonwealth Games selection in the first place.

He was convicted wasn't he?

Too right he was. Sentenced to jail too. But he didn't serve any time - he managed to get the sentence suspended. Then he was ALSO taken to court and sued for malicious damage. Lost that one too. Had to pay $150,000 compensation. Didn't pay up, just sued and counter-sued and appealed about non-selection endlessly 'till the gutless bloody administrators figured it was easier to select him in the team.

This caper with the guns only brought the idotic, craven administrative decision to restore him to the team back into the public eye.

Sounds like he didn't actually have a conviction recorded. The usual process seems to be that they order a fine and other punishment but "adjourn" the matter for a period of time, usually 12 months, which is effectively the good behaviour bond. I've had to figure out the process from reading disclosable outcomes on pre-employment Police Checks.

The suing as you well know is a civil issue, not criminal. OJ Simpson was found guilty of killing his wife in a civil case but not in the criminal one, different standard of proof.

look, this guy seems like a ratbag who's attached himself to the government teat like a leech as an athlete and refuses to let go.

Still doesn't mean I agree that the photos are an issue.

HAL 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:46 pm

Where did you lose your that one too ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 6 of 25   

Jump to: