Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
I hate the Olympics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern
 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stui magpie Gemini

Oh, the Premiership's a cakewalk


Joined: 03 May 2005
Location: Wherever I go, there I am

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
Just to help out the slow of understanding, they showed contempt for normal, decent standards, and they glorified illegal weapons, the whole point of their antics and posting was to demonstrate their identification with weapons and violence (look at the glee on their faces!) and their contempt for the ordinary, decent Australians who are paying for their Olympic junket.

Now I believe in freedom of speech and association and belief. Scumbags are entitles to behave like scumbags and think liker scumbags. But not on my dollar!

Let's not forget, one of them HAS STILL NOT PAID any compensation for his brutal assault on another Australian athelete.

Why should any Australian athlete be forced to share team facilities with meataxe scumbags like these two, knowing full well that one of them has beaten another athlete up and GOT OFF SCOTT-FREE, and seems perfectly free to do it again?

Throw the barstards off the team and let's get on with competition.


Those weapons are perfectly legal in America, where they had the photos taken with them and in fact are actually perfectly legal in Australia if you have the appropriate licence.

Do you have a kitchen knife? Or a pocket knife? It's legal to own one but if you take it in your pocket to the supermarket you could be charged with carrying a prohibited weapon. So can we put the "Illegal Weapons" crap to bed?

They may be dullards and trouble makers, but the problem is that they both met the criteria to be on the olympic team.

You said in an earlier post that selection for the Olympic team should be a privilege not a right.Absolutely correct. There is a selection criteria in place for each event and an appeals process for people who aren't selected.

These two were selected. Whatever you think of them as people (and I don't necessarily disagree) the fact is they met the selection criteria. If there was someone better they wouldn't be there.

I don't believe that getting their photos taken with perfectly legal items in a country where they are readily available deserves all this hoo hah.

_________________
In my defence, I was left unsupervised
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
think positive Libra

Side By Side


Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Location: somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss_Lisey_Molloy wrote:
think positive wrote:
Kylie was your highlight?? For real?

OMG

Your not a sporty person are you, just guessing


Considering I am on a football related forum, I'd say that you didn't need to ask that question. I love football. That's my sport. Just because I have little or no interest in other sports, does not mean that I am not a sporty person. I will watch cricket, rugby, and a few others, but the majority of the olympic sports are ones that people don't give a shit about for 4 years and then all of a sudden are an expert.

think positive wrote:
( someone thought Kylie was better than that moment?)


I never criticise anyone on here for having an opinion. All I made was a statement relating to me. If you want to watch it, that's great. I'm all for people doing what they want to do. The difference is that I would never sit here and say "Someone thought the 400m relay was better than Kylie", just to be a smart ass.

Love always, Alyssa xoxo


I wasn't being a smart arse. What Cathy Freeman achieved was a defining great moment in Australian, and indeed world history. For Australians, for aborigines, and for woman.

Kylie for me, will only ever be just a pop singer. Couple of great songs, but not a voice for the ages. But then I have no real interest in music, I just like what I like.

We all have our own interests, and I did not mean to offend. My apologies.

( my first comment was out of line, and I do apologize, I don't know you and have no right to make judgments or guesses of any kind, sorry)

_________________
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!


Last edited by think positive on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Warnings : 1 
Brenny 



Joined: 05 Apr 2011
Location: Westpac Centre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The summer games for me, personally, I don't give two hoots about. Personally, I like the more obscure sports of the winter games. Things we don't see every day and take more balls to do... ie down hill skiing.

I originally thought what was the big hoo har about, in regards to the photo of them in a gun shop. Anyway, I made reference to it on Facebook and was quickly shot down by a few people.

I looked at this photo on face value and thought big deal, which I think most people have, but I think the other side still loathe Nick for the bashing of that person then declaring bankruptcy to avoid paying the 2 or 300k in payments.

Unfortunately for Nick, when you are in the public eye, if you fart you will end up in the papers and action MUST be taken against you... ah la Brendan Fevola.

I look at Heath Shaw and Alan Didak... if this was them, there would still be a massive media frenzy and the AFL/Collingwood would take action just to look like they are doing something... to appease sponsors and the media; but more so, because they are 'serial offenders'.

That's unfortunate, but that's the way life is. I try to stay out of conversations on the Internet involving my employer, simply because I don't want to run the risk of being fired.

Whilst I agree, in this instance, I think it's a massive over reaction, for Nick, being a 'serial offender', he should prob just be more careful in the future.


Last edited by Brenny on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Black_White Scorpio



Joined: 19 Mar 2001


PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mandy wrote:
I hate the Olympics too. All that fake patriotism makes me sick.


Hmmm..... a bit like;
"I love Collingwood now I'm here, even though I barracked for Essendon all my life.
Or "I want to be a Pie for life."


Or any number of Australian Rugby internationals with Maori names.
Or any number of NZ netballers with South African names.....
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Banned 
think positive Libra

Side By Side


Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Location: somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Just to help out the slow of understanding, they showed contempt for normal, decent standards, and they glorified illegal weapons, the whole point of their antics and posting was to demonstrate their identification with weapons and violence (look at the glee on their faces!) and their contempt for the ordinary, decent Australians who are paying for their Olympic junket.

Now I believe in freedom of speech and association and belief. Scumbags are entitles to behave like scumbags and think liker scumbags. But not on my dollar!

Let's not forget, one of them HAS STILL NOT PAID any compensation for his brutal assault on another Australian athelete.

Why should any Australian athlete be forced to share team facilities with meataxe scumbags like these two, knowing full well that one of them has beaten another athlete up and GOT OFF SCOTT-FREE, and seems perfectly free to do it again?

Throw the barstards off the team and let's get on with competition.


Those weapons are perfectly legal in America, where they had the photos taken with them and in fact are actually perfectly legal in Australia if you have the appropriate licence.

Do you have a kitchen knife? Or a pocket knife? It's legal to own one but if you take it in your pocket to the supermarket you could be charged with carrying a prohibited weapon. So can we put the "Illegal Weapons" crap to bed?

They may be dullards and trouble makers, but the problem is that they both met the criteria to be on the olympic team.

You said in an earlier post that selection for the Olympic team should be a privilege not a right.Absolutely correct. There is a selection criteria in place for each event and an appeals process for people who aren't selected.

These two were selected. Whatever you think of them as people (and I don't necessarily disagree) the fact is they met the selection criteria. If there was someone better they wouldn't be there.

I don't believe that getting their photos taken with perfectly legal items in a country where they are readily available deserves all this hoo hah.


Totally agree, but I don't think D'arcy should have been even in the trials, after his last effort. He went bankrupt to avoid paying his dues, so where does he get the money to support himself while he swims?

Can't totally remember, but I recall the guy he hit drinking through a straw for months.

For me it's kind of like Barry hall winning a best and FAIREST, it doesn't gel.

But then I guess you can say what about the drug cheats?

It's hard living in such an imperfect world when you really do want, and believe in, world peace!!

_________________
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Warnings : 1 
Tannin 

Can't remember


Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Location: Ballarat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Those weapons are perfectly legal in America


Child abuse is perfectly legal in Egypt. Does that mean we should not censure a child abuser who does the act overseas?

And what about the other members of the team - the decent, honerst ones, who are being sent off to London with no guarantee that they won't be the next ones drinking trhropugh a straw for months.

I cannot believe the number of otherwise decent, sensible people I am seeing standing up for these scumheads.

_________________
‘Let's eat Grandma.’ Commas save lives!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Nick - Pie Man 



Joined: 04 Aug 2010


PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Brenny wrote:
Collingwood would take action just to look like they are doing something... to appease sponsors and the media; but more so, because they are 'serial offenders'.


Nope, don't reckon so. Pert, Big Ed et al have balls
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
stui magpie Gemini

Oh, the Premiership's a cakewalk


Joined: 03 May 2005
Location: Wherever I go, there I am

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Those weapons are perfectly legal in America


Child abuse is perfectly legal in Egypt. Does that mean we should not censure a child abuser who does the act overseas?

And what about the other members of the team - the decent, honerst ones, who are being sent off to London with no guarantee that they won't be the next ones drinking trhropugh a straw for months.

I cannot believe the number of otherwise decent, sensible people I am seeing standing up for these scumheads.


You're now equating getting a photo taken holding a firearm with child abuse?

Mate, get a cup of tea and take a few deep breaths cos on this issue your sense of perspective just went Picasso on acid.

_________________
In my defence, I was left unsupervised
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!


Joined: 19 Jun 2002
Location: Lilydale

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
I wasn't being a smart arse. What Cathy Freeman achieved was a defining great moment in Australian, and indeed world history. For Australians, for aborigines, and for woman.

Kylie for me, will only ever be just a pop singer. Couple of great songs, but not a voice for the ages. But then I have no real interest in music, I just like what I like.

We all have our own interests, and I did not mean to offend. My apologies.

( my first comment was out of line, and I do apologize, I don't know you and have no right to make judgments or guesses of any kind, sorry)


Thank you. I also apologise! It is now water under the bridge! Go Pies! Smile

Love always, Alyssa xoxo

_________________
*~Alyssa's Song Of The Moment~*
I See You - Luke Bryan

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
3.14159 Taurus



Joined: 12 Sep 2009


PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The stupidest things these guys did is post these photos on Face-Book.

they do nothing illegal because being a pair of bozos is not against the Law.
as a prescaution they are sending home as soon as they have raced.
If they are so stupid to get into a fight before they race they probibly never did have the dedication to make it to the Olympics.
There is another point here.
"Just how soon do we give-up on people"?


LAst week i watch live as Kylie sung and damced as a Pearlie Queen.
Thought i'd died and gone to heaven.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
David Libra

Speak about destruction


Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Location: in a time zone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Those weapons are perfectly legal in America


Child abuse is perfectly legal in Egypt. Does that mean we should not censure a child abuser who does the act overseas?

And what about the other members of the team - the decent, honerst ones, who are being sent off to London with no guarantee that they won't be the next ones drinking trhropugh a straw for months.

I cannot believe the number of otherwise decent, sensible people I am seeing standing up for these scumheads.


You're now equating getting a photo taken holding a firearm with child abuse?

Mate, get a cup of tea and take a few deep breaths cos on this issue your sense of perspective just went Picasso on acid.


+1. Tannin, I always enjoy your posting, but I feel like you're taking the piss here.

_________________
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger  
rocketronnie 



Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Location: Reservoir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olympics are a meaningless and monumental waste of money. I'm sick to death of parasitic athletes, good blokes or not, living off the public purse for no public benefit of any consequence. I could care less if they get up and train at 4am. They don't do it for the people, they do it for themselves and the benefits they receive from it. The faux national pride that are loaded on achievements of "excellence" in meaningless activities is sickening to behold. Meanwhile worthwhile achievements that promote social good are by and large ignored - and unfunded.

So what if you are the fastest runner of the 60 or so that compete in an event? That doesn't mean you are the fastest runner on Earth, nor is there any real benefit to anyone if you are: being fastest is quite frankly pointless. Its not like any of us need to run like that anymore. Billions of dollars etc are sunk into this media fueled circus every year that quite frankly could be spent on better things all around the world. The striving for bigger and better circuses every Olympics creates a few jobs during the construction phase and then creates a massive deficit that the unfortunate host countries are saddled with for years.

As you can probably guess I won't be watching this absurd circus -not even one minute of it if I can help it. I'm going to find something more interesting to do. I don't expect anyone at all to agree with me on this issue, but to me its a social good just airing alternates to the dominant paradigm.

_________________
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
think positive Libra

Side By Side


Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Location: somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss_Lisey_Molloy wrote:
think positive wrote:
I wasn't being a smart arse. What Cathy Freeman achieved was a defining great moment in Australian, and indeed world history. For Australians, for aborigines, and for woman.

Kylie for me, will only ever be just a pop singer. Couple of great songs, but not a voice for the ages. But then I have no real interest in music, I just like what I like.

We all have our own interests, and I did not mean to offend. My apologies.

( my first comment was out of line, and I do apologize, I don't know you and have no right to make judgments or guesses of any kind, sorry)


Thank you. I also apologise! It is now water under the bridge! Go Pies! Smile

Love always, Alyssa xoxo


Thanks Wink

And yes, Go Pies!! Let's kill em!

_________________
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!


Last edited by think positive on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Warnings : 1 
think positive Libra

Side By Side


Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Location: somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

rocketronnie wrote:
The Olympics are a meaningless and monumental waste of money. I'm sick to death of parasitic athletes, good blokes or not, living off the public purse for no public benefit of any consequence. I could care less if they get up and train at 4am. They don't do it for the people, they do it for themselves and the benefits they receive from it. The faux national pride that are loaded on achievements of "excellence" in meaningless activities is sickening to behold. Meanwhile worthwhile achievements that promote social good are by and large ignored - and unfunded.

So what if you are the fastest runner of the 60 or so that compete in an event? That doesn't mean you are the fastest runner on Earth, nor is there any real benefit to anyone if you are: being fastest is quite frankly pointless. Its not like any of us need to run like that anymore. Billions of dollars etc are sunk into this media fueled circus every year that quite frankly could be spent on better things all around the world. The striving for bigger and better circuses every Olympics creates a few jobs during the construction phase and then creates a massive deficit that the unfortunate host countries are saddled with for years.

As you can probably guess I won't be watching this absurd circus -not even one minute of it if I can help it. I'm going to find something more interesting to do. I don't expect anyone at all to agree with me on this issue, but to me its a social good just airing alternates to the dominant paradigm.


My sisters sport was badminton. Very little funding. Yep got up at 4 to train, the. Went to work all day, then more training. In between there were school visits, stadium vista to promote the sport. Raising funds to travel around the world for competitions etc. To be the best in Australia she had to live and breath it for about 10 years. Then she had to grow up, get a job and start her life, at the age of about 30! but it was worth it to her.

She was the first outsider ever to be invited to train with the Chinese and spent. 3 months at their academy for elite sports children. My parents had to find the travel money and expenses. But what an incredible experience.

I've tried so many sports, I went in every event at school, played netball for years, and got to A grade , and that was such a thrill for me. But it was the best I was capable of. I still dreamed, I still tried. Much like your average suburban footy player watching AFL and dreaming of kicking that winning goal.

What's the difference? You watch the Brownlow, that's meaningless to your average golf fanatic, or running star. But we want to see who is considered the best at the highest level of our favorite sport

Most of the funding comes from advertising such as nutragrain for most athletes. Only the very few are lucky to get enough funding to live. They are not living of the public purse. Yes they get their uniforms, air fares and food for the games, but not for things like world championships etc. That. Comes from private funding, advertisers, sponsors etc. I know a couple of netball Olympians, same story, mostly self funded.

Is it an age thing? It seems to be the younger posters bagging the games ( I have no idea how old you are Ronnie! Not even a ball park guess!)

I have no interest in the voice, but I wouldn't say I hate it it, I just don't watch it saying you hate the games, I just don't get it.

Why such strong emotion?

_________________
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Warnings : 1 
David Libra

Speak about destruction


Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Location: in a time zone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

rocketronnie wrote:
The Olympics are a meaningless and monumental waste of money. I'm sick to death of parasitic athletes, good blokes or not, living off the public purse for no public benefit of any consequence. I could care less if they get up and train at 4am. They don't do it for the people, they do it for themselves and the benefits they receive from it. The faux national pride that are loaded on achievements of "excellence" in meaningless activities is sickening to behold. Meanwhile worthwhile achievements that promote social good are by and large ignored - and unfunded.

So what if you are the fastest runner of the 60 or so that compete in an event? That doesn't mean you are the fastest runner on Earth, nor is there any real benefit to anyone if you are: being fastest is quite frankly pointless. Its not like any of us need to run like that anymore. Billions of dollars etc are sunk into this media fueled circus every year that quite frankly could be spent on better things all around the world. The striving for bigger and better circuses every Olympics creates a few jobs during the construction phase and then creates a massive deficit that the unfortunate host countries are saddled with for years.

As you can probably guess I won't be watching this absurd circus -not even one minute of it if I can help it. I'm going to find something more interesting to do. I don't expect anyone at all to agree with me on this issue, but to me its a social good just airing alternates to the dominant paradigm.


I actually feel much the same. I enjoy a lot of different sports that the Olympics showcases, but I have little time for the actual framework and the outrageous expenditure it seems to require.

_________________
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 3 of 25   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group