Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
"The Circle" can VC recipient.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern
 
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
5150 Sagittarius



Joined: 31 Aug 2005


PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:10 pm
Post subject: "The Circle" can VC recipient.Reply with quote

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/tv-radio/yumis-in-strife-over-disrespectful-comments-about-ben-roberts-smith/story-e6frf9ho-1226284463741

Now I have never seen the show or know what a Yumi is, but the comments from some societies finest HS readers are a laugh...

George seems to be scrapping the bottom of the barrel if this is where his years of foreign correspondent have landed him.

Anybody watch the show?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Nick - Pie Man 



Joined: 04 Aug 2010


PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the circle that show where fat women talk about celebrities and cosmetics?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Dark Beanie Gemini



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: A galaxy far, far away.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Circle is the Australian version of The View (US) with Whoopi Goldberg, Barbara Walters et al.

I've watched The View a few times but not the Circle.

Heard the comments about Ben Roberts. Very lame attempts at being funny & George Negus should know better.

_________________
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?


Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Location: The 18

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a prime example of a storm in a teacup.

I've seen the show before and Yumi Stynes apart from being adorable has a wicked sense of humour and comes across as a genuinely warm and nice person.

Georgie likewise.

_________________
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
mandy Sagittarius



Joined: 03 Jun 2001
Location: Glen Iris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched her apology. She was crying.

But only after she threw in the fact she's now engaged.

Talk about making it all about yourself!

I never liked her as an MTV VJ and I can't see anything has improved since then.

_________________
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
rocketronnie 



Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Location: Reservoir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is tailor made for Hiss. Where is the senile old fool when you need him? Razz
_________________
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.


Joined: 23 Apr 2003
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

rocketronnie wrote:
This topic is tailor made for Hiss. Where is the senile old fool when you need him? Razz


Probably in board meetings with Gary Pert and co. Wink

_________________
avg

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.


Joined: 17 Mar 2003


PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The senile old fool when you need him? Where is senile old fool when you need him ?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
mandy Sagittarius



Joined: 03 Jun 2001
Location: Glen Iris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Very Happy
_________________
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
jack_spain Aries



Joined: 03 May 2008


PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

They are lowlife scum! Twisted Evil

Ben is a genuine hero. They don't give away VCs for anything but the highest level of valour.

George Negus should have known better. A pisspot who has reached his used by date.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Warnings : 1 
rocketronnie 



Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Location: Reservoir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jack_spain wrote:
They are lowlife scum! Twisted Evil

Ben is a genuine hero. They don't give away VCs for anything but the highest level of valour.

George Negus should have known better. A pisspot who has reached his used by date.


It wouldn't have happened in your day eh Pain? Hmm exactly when was your day? 1850 maybe? Laughing

_________________
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
David Libra

to wish impossible things


Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Location: the edge of the deep green sea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

While the old 'stupid-people-on-tv-say-stupid-things' scandals tend not to interest me, I've been thinking a bit lately about the whole 'war hero' concept and how it's so widely accepted.

Now, I'm not necessarily on the side of the protectors who spat on returning soldiers after the Vietnam War. It's governments that send citizens to kill and be killed on their behalf, so it's unfair to blame the men on the frontline for their governments' unjust decisions. Likewise, I admire the courage of people who put themselves in awful situations to defend their families, friends and way of life.

The trouble with the whole 'war hero' paradigm is that the above situation has rarely applied, certainly here in Australia. The soldiers of Gallipoli, Vietnam and Iraq were not defending our country. Even my grandfather, who shot down Axis aircraft in the Middle East and North Africa in World War 2 wasn't really defending Australia or Australians. Maybe those who fought the Japanese in South-East Asia can claim that, but the rest were just co-opted to fight on the behalf of the empire. People like my grandfather were drafted into the army to kill enemy combatants as if they were pawns in a game of chess; put through dehumanising training drills that break down their emotions and compassion so that they can kill more effectively. That's not their fault, but it's not particularly heroic; just kind of awful, really.

More to the point, I've come to see the 'war hero' paradigm as just a more subtle continuation of the age-old glorification of warfare.

Lola and I visited Mt. Macedon on the weekend, and walked up to see the Memorial Cross: a monstrously huge cross supposedly commemorating our country's war dead. Honestly, all I could see was a massive, pornographic paean to the glory of war. The fact that so many Australian citizens (often very young and very impressionable) have died in pointless wars ought to be considered a shameful tragedy, not some triumphant history.

So too, then, the media and government insistence on decorating survivors with medals in reverent ceremonies. It's true that many of these men and women are being rewarded for incidents of incredible bravery that you or I could never dream of, in some cases risking their lives for comrades or civilians. That is worth recognising. Nevertheless, I fear that these recognitions are just more cogs in the war propaganda machine.

So, it's not really the idiocy of TV hosts that upsets me the most in this affair. It's the typical tabloid media, political and corporate response about 'war heroes'. Bar the odd exception (e.g. Bradley Manning), soldiers are not heroes. To repeat the phrase so unthinkingly is a reflection of how deeply war propaganda is ingrained in our society.

_________________
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger  
jack_spain Aries



Joined: 03 May 2008


PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Bar the odd exception (e.g. Bradley Manning), soldiers are not heroes. To repeat the phrase so unthinkingly is a reflection of how deeply war propaganda is ingrained in our society.


You are a card carrying wimp David. You know nothing of the ANZAC Spirit. No wonder our country is so ****ed. Rolling Eyes
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Warnings : 1 
rocketronnie 



Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Location: Reservoir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
While the old 'stupid-people-on-tv-say-stupid-things' scandals tend not to interest me, I've been thinking a bit lately about the whole 'war hero' concept and how it's so widely accepted.

Now, I'm not necessarily on the side of the protectors who spat on returning soldiers after the Vietnam War. It's governments that send citizens to kill and be killed on their behalf, so it's unfair to blame the men on the frontline for their governments' unjust decisions. Likewise, I admire the courage of people who put themselves in awful situations to defend their families, friends and way of life.

The trouble with the whole 'war hero' paradigm is that the above situation has rarely applied, certainly here in Australia. The soldiers of Gallipoli, Vietnam and Iraq were not defending our country. Even my grandfather, who shot down Axis aircraft in the Middle East and North Africa in World War 2 wasn't really defending Australia or Australians. Maybe those who fought the Japanese in South-East Asia can claim that, but the rest were just co-opted to fight on the behalf of the empire. People like my grandfather were drafted into the army to kill enemy combatants as if they were pawns in a game of chess; put through dehumanising training drills that break down their emotions and compassion so that they can kill more effectively. That's not their fault, but it's not particularly heroic; just kind of awful, really.

More to the point, I've come to see the 'war hero' paradigm as just a more subtle continuation of the age-old glorification of warfare.

Lola and I visited Mt. Macedon on the weekend, and walked up to see the Memorial Cross: a monstrously huge cross supposedly commemorating our country's war dead. Honestly, all I could see was a massive, pornographic paean to the glory of war. The fact that so many Australian citizens (often very young and very impressionable) have died in pointless wars ought to be considered a shameful tragedy, not some triumphant history.

So too, then, the media and government insistence on decorating survivors with medals in reverent ceremonies. It's true that many of these men and women are being rewarded for incidents of incredible bravery that you or I could never dream of, in some cases risking their lives for comrades or civilians. That is worth recognising. Nevertheless, I fear that these recognitions are just more cogs in the war propaganda machine.

So, it's not really the idiocy of TV hosts that upsets me the most in this affair. It's the typical tabloid media, political and corporate response about 'war heroes'. Bar the odd exception (e.g. Bradley Manning), soldiers are not heroes. To repeat the phrase so unthinkingly is a reflection of how deeply war propaganda is ingrained in our society.


Revealingly, the Victoria Cross is a British medal of honour. We don't actually have one of our own.

_________________
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.


Joined: 03 May 2005
Location: In flagrante delicto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David, in this case the bloke got a Victoria Cross for his actions in putting his own life at risk to prevent the members of his squad being killed.

What's that quote about greater love hath no man than he who would lay down his life for his friends (not googled, quoted from memory, probably misquoted but you get the point)

War is about death and ruin, it's very easy to focus on the negative elements because there are so many of them. The fact that we have Aussies fighting overseas is something a lot of people don't agree with. But....they have a purpose, they are there for a reason (even if people don't like it) and while they're there, they have a job to do.

This bloke is a bonafide hero and seems like a cracking bloke too.

As far as the comments on TV, lightweight comments from a lightweight crap TV program. The comments were garbage, the over reaction to them is typical.

Mind you, that Yumi tool should go back to hosting music videos, she's obviously out of her depth not talking to stoned teenagers and Negus should know better.

Yet more reinforcement of why I don't turn the TV on during the day, even when I have a day off work.

_________________
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group