Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"The Circle" can VC recipient.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jack_spain wrote:
David wrote:
Bar the odd exception (e.g. Bradley Manning), soldiers are not heroes. To repeat the phrase so unthinkingly is a reflection of how deeply war propaganda is ingrained in our society.

You are a card carrying wimp David. You know nothing of the ANZAC Spirit. No wonder our country is so ****ed. Rolling Eyes

Ah "ANZAC Spirit" what a piece of nation building propaganda that term actually is. Crude Australian military history such as Carlyle's and Fitzsimmons', is filled with erroneous examples of Australian exceptionism. Truth is if you look at the life and situation of other soldiers of other countries in the same wars, they do the same things. Same as when the "ANZAC Spirit" is invoked in times of national disaster. Quite clearly Australians in those situations do little different to people of other nations in similar situations. But somehow its different when we do it because we are "Australians". This Australian exceptionism is a good example of the insularity that this country chronically suffers from. Its about time the "ANZAC Spirit was put to bed and we did some growing up. I'm sure the ghosts of the old WW1 Diggers would be happy because most of them thought it was eyewash!

Last edited by rocketronnie on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:13 pm

I've chatted to dozens of soldiers here over the years as Korea has several US bases and most are just naive kids looking for a pathway in life, while the officers often seem like those kids made good. The stress conflict exposes people to warrants not only medals, but sweat drops of blood on the part of politicians to find ways of not sending kids to war.

Regardless of the illegitimacy of ridiculous wars such as Iraq and Afghanistan, you still need a group of kids willing to accept a chain of command unquestioningly for legitimate defense. I feel mightily sorry for them.

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:23 pm

Ben Robert committed a selfless act and should be rewarded for it as is the custom. Often these awards go to ordinary guys who did something instinctive under pressure. They aren't special people different from you and me, they are ordinary guys doing a job who got caught in a situation. He'll probably tell that there fifty other guys deserving of the honour for fifty different actions, yet he was the one picked out. That's how it often goes in these situations.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:28 pm

For me the biggest issue isn't what Yumi and George said but the overreactions.

Honestly for a country that likes to consider itself laidback boy do some people get precious over nothing.

The problem stems greatly from the medias annoying and increasing habit of reporting of every single little minutia.

It's one of the major reasons why in this country our politicians are so bland and try to stick to script because they know any little slip of the tongue will be highlighted and blown out of all proportion.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Don't watch daytime TV - although might be resigning soon and unemployed with dipstick Davis and old Ted at the helm Twisted Evil

Hmmm not much to look forward to by the sound of things

Isn't there never ending hysteria when such comments are made about women - that Kyle person seems to constantly in trouble for sexist remarks?

Why then is it OK for such comments to be made about men - any man - tinker, tailor, soldier or sailor just based on appearance?

And the worse thing is I reckon we females are the worst offenders - we hated it when it was directed at us but we seem ok with it now if it is directed at men???

I must be missing something??

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Honestly for a country that likes to consider itself laidback boy do some people get precious over nothing.

The problem stems greatly from the medias annoying and increasing habit of reporting of every single little minutia.

It's one of the major reasons why in this country our politicians are so bland and try to stick to script because they know any little slip of the tongue will be highlighted and blown out of all proportion.

+1

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:00 pm

We can live without TV stars but we can't live without our heroes like Ben," she said

A quote from the article, and soo true,

If war happened to come here, I'd like Ben standing next to me, not george

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Well I hope Lou Richards doesn't read this, he would be disgusted.

But then it's the same blokes that take the piss out of cops.

Hide behind your big words all you want.

It's still hiding.

I don't like war, I think it is a total waste. But it's here to stay.

Ben Roberts deserves every accolade he is getting, and none of the bullshit Aussie insults dressed up as humor.

And I would say the same no matter what country owned the uniform he was wearing.

I watched that idiot show for 5 min once, bunch of self important nobodies making themselves feel bigger picking on other people. They need to grow up.

It's going to take a more sincere apology to fix this.

Bruno 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:17 pm

This was nothing more then yet another instance of presenters on dumb Australian commercial television dumbing themselves down in an attempt to connect with viewers who they perceive to be dumb.

The state of Australian produced FTA television is a national disgrace.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Bruno wrote:
This was nothing more then yet another instance of presenters on dumb Australian commercial television dumbing themselves down in an attempt to connect with viewers who they perceive to be dumb.

The state of Australian produced FTA television is a national disgrace.

Ain't that the truth

4pies Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:30 pm

jack_spain wrote:
They are lowlife scum! Twisted Evil

Ben is a genuine hero. They don't give away VCs for anything but the highest level of valour.

George Negus should have known better. A pisspot who has reached his used by date.

well said jack.
I lost my cousin in Vietnam and he is 10 times the person than these 2 oxygen thieves will ever be!

pica 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:15 pm

rocketronnie wrote:

Revealingly, the Victoria Cross is a British medal of honour. We don't actually have one of our own.

This is from an Australian Government website:

"Victoria Cross for Australia

The Victoria Cross for Australia was instituted in the Australian honours system by Letters Patent on 15 January 1991.

It replaces the British or Imperial Victoria Cross. Trooper Mark Donaldson VC was the first Australian to be honoured with the Victoria Cross for Australia on Friday 16 January 2009, followed by Corporal Benjamin Roberts-Smith VC MG on 23 January 2011."

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:25 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Really good post there. Couldn't agree more.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Don't watch daytime TV - although might be resigning soon and unemployed with dipstick Davis and old Ted at the helm Twisted Evil

Don't do that. The ANF is really pushing the boundaries of both industrial relations and honesty. You're too good to be a sacrificial pawn.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:44 pm

David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Really good post there. Couldn't agree more.

I'd love to see the commando get a hold of you for an hour or two!

Don't ask me why, I just think it would be entertaining,

My guess he would say shut up a lot!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 2 of 22   

Jump to: