Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So. What's for Dinner?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing like fresh baked bread, has to be real butter too!

i cooked a mexican beef dish with beans and grated zucchini, plus a garlic potato dish with cheese, and also put some thighs into the crock pot for tomorrow nights dinner with a satay and coconut sauce,

yes i cooked a lot, mostly homemade, and yes im sick!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:28 pm

^ Yum!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:37 pm

I can't eat any of that at the moment but damn it sounds nice.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:28 pm

Cheers guys, the Mexican was out of this world!
djh 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:27 pm

TP, any chance you could share the recipe please. My family love Mexican food and it sounds great. So do the potatoes and the slow cooked thighs with satay sauce. Yum.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:43 pm

sure but i dont measure i just chuck stuff in! I actually used a mexican beef pack from coles, they are in the meat section, in a box. its supposed to serve 4 but its tiny! ive done this twice now, put it in a baking dish, add your favourite pasta sauce, nacho dip or passata, a can of rinsed black beans, grate in at least 1 zucchini, (i add this to a lot of things, it adds low cal veg for vitamins and fibre, but you cant really detect it),i like to add extra spices but junior was home and doesnt do spice! I did added some mexican seasoning. over the top you can layer some broken up corn chips, and then grated tasty cheese, (that cheese with pickled onion works well), cover with foil bake at around 180-200 for about 20 min, take the foil off and let the cheese go brown, serve with sour cream and guacamole or avocado if you have it. youngest puts it in a wrap. for the potato, just peel (you dont have to the vit c is near the skin, but hubby is picky) and slice, drop in another baking dish. mix a big bottle of cream with some garlic and pour over, top with grated cheese. (i tend to serve mine in a bowl over a home made or packet salad mix, coles mexican or japanese ones are nice, to lower the calories, if you mix it all in together, its amazing!!)

i also made this with prime mince and a mexican tomato sauce base -which means i grab whats in the cupboard and chuck in spice packets. I added 2 zucchinis, 2 capsican and 500g of mushrooms, i prefer to chop my own, the chopped ones are never as nice. that one was fantastic. i serve with sour cream, gucomole & chopped tomatoes.

and for the potatoes you can add a satchet of spring onion soup mix, just one, its powerful stuff! Pa Marmo taught me that one!

the thighs i rip off the obvious fat, spray the hot pot, dump them it. mix about 2 cups of chicken stock with 1 cup of coconut milk or cream, and i have made satay sauce from scratch but this time i used the satchets from aldi, they are 99 cents each, i used 2. i cooked it yesterday, sat it in the fridge overnight, skimmed off the fat and heated it, added 3/4 cup of rice and a bag of aldi vegi mix (usually i cut my own vegies, but im actually flat out with work this week) and it tastes great and the chicken is like the pulled stuff you buy! serve with sour cream and cracked black pepper.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Hope to be making this tomorrow morning with chicken thighs (a woman at work reckons it better than the lamb):

Sri Lankan-Style Lamb Curry With Basmati Rice

Ingredients:

1kg lamb-neck fillet, fat trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
2tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 eschalots, roughly chopped
4cm piece fresh ginger, roughly chopped
1tbsp coriander seeds, toasted
2 long red chillies, roughly chopped
1tsp ground turmeric
1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 cup natural yoghurt
Juice and zest of 1 lime
200g green beans, trimmed, cut into 3cm lengths
1/4 cup coconut flakes, toasted

Method:

To make marinade place half the oil, garlic, eschalots, ginger, coriander, chilli, turmeric and 2 large pinches of sea salt in a small food processor. Blend well until a paste forms. Place lamb in a large snap-lock bag with marinade and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat remaining oil in a large casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add lamb and cook for 4–5 minutes or until lamb is sealed. Add stock and curry leaves, bring to the boil, cover and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, skimming fat off the top occasionally. Remove lid and cook for a further 35–40 minutes or until meat is tender.

Add yoghurt, lime zest and juice, stir well and return to a low simmer for 15–20 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Stir beans through for last 10 minutes of cooking time. Remove curry stalks.

Sprinkle curry with coconut and extra chilli, if desired. Serve with basmati rice and extra chilli.

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/national/food-and-drink/article/recipe-sri-lankan-style-lamb-curry-basmati-rice

djh 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Think positive, thanks so much for the recipes. I will definitely try them out. Junior in our house doesn't like much spice either so in the same boat.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:13 am

watt price tully wrote:
Hope to be making this tomorrow morning with chicken thighs (a woman at work reckons it better than the lamb):

Sri Lankan-Style Lamb Curry With Basmati Rice

Ingredients:

1kg lamb-neck fillet, fat trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
2tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 eschalots, roughly chopped
4cm piece fresh ginger, roughly chopped
1tbsp coriander seeds, toasted
2 long red chillies, roughly chopped
1tsp ground turmeric
1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 cup natural yoghurt
Juice and zest of 1 lime
200g green beans, trimmed, cut into 3cm lengths
1/4 cup coconut flakes, toasted

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/national/food-and-drink/article/recipe-sri-lankan-style-lamb-curry-basmati-rice

I made the mix and marinated the chicken thighs, went to work and the youngest did the cooking: stunning. If you find the chilli too hot take the seeds out. Tasty recipe. Must thank Robyn at work: very nice 👍

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Just made this in the slow cooker: only 7 hours to go. I'll find out tonight / tomorrow if it's any good:

"..comforting beef stew made easily in the crockpot! The meat is SO TENDER and the stew is rich, chunky and hearty! "

https://damndelicious.net/2016/10/07/slow-cooker-beef-stew/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:53 pm
Post subject: Re: ThanksReply with quote

djh wrote:
Think positive, thanks so much for the recipes. I will definitely try them out. Junior in our house doesn't like much spice either so in the same boat.

no worries!!

i just made donuts with the kmart sausage roll maker, OMG so good, filled them with cream and Jam, to die for!!

there is a recipe for mars bars cooked in it too!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:18 am

watt price tully wrote:
Just made this in the slow cooker: only 7 hours to go. I'll find out tonight / tomorrow if it's any good:

"..comforting beef stew made easily in the crockpot! The meat is SO TENDER and the stew is rich, chunky and hearty! "

https://damndelicious.net/2016/10/07/slow-cooker-beef-stew/

Turned out really delicious. Needed a bit of thickening up at the end however it was delicious.

I used a bit of celery and reckon you could use some green capsicum too. The meat used was oyster blade steak which is great in a slow cooker or a beef curry.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Not a fan of oyster blade steak, I prefer gravy beef for slow cooking.

Anyway, tonight I made a chicken curry. Fun and games when I'm limited on what I can eat.

Roasted some quartered red capsicums and an onion earlier. Blended with a teaspoon of bone broth powder, garlic cloves, salt, curry powder and 1 1/2 cups of water that was the sauce.

coated 6 thigh fillets in curry powder and let them sit for a while, then browned in a cast iron pan in some olive oil and butter. Take them out and add some onion, celery and broccoli stalk and brown them. Put the chicken back in, add some broccoli and cauliflower florets, green beans and spinach. Pour the sauce over top, bring to a bubble then turn down and simmer for 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.

Served over zucchini noodles.

Tip, if you can, peel the skin off the capsicum after roasting it, it makes a real difference to the flavour.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:43 pm

If you put the capsicum in a plastic ziplock bag for a couple of min after cooking the skin peels off easily, and yes it dies make a difference,

We ordered Thai, I had squid it was delish, lots of coriander!

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:23 pm

Nice and simple tonight, lamb with garlic and rosemary and some potatoes

Problem with cooking, other than the washing up, is it’s way too much for one and whilst it will do me for probably 3 meals, having food there I just keep picking at it and eat way too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 104 of 119   

Jump to: