Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What are you listening to right now?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111, 112  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Also, Chris Winter's show on 3LO (now ABC 774) before the old 2JJ was set up was a massive conduit for music that was otherwise inaccessible in the days when you didn't hear interesting music unless you bought the vinyl and most of us couldn't afford much vinyl.

In fact, the DJs could provide valuable information just by reading the liner notes of the LPs. It's hard to think back and understand just how little music we were exposed to and how little we knew about any of these recordings or artists in those days.

Once again, there was a limit to what you could hear elsewhere, so this was all fascinating to me.

Interesting P4S, I always look forward to wandering down the music rabbit hole, tracking a bass guitarist (Bootsy Collins) or similar that played for a number of groups. When I first started listening to music as a young lad, it never occurred to me people moved around in bands, or the lead singer wasn't necessarily the soul of a band.
As you point out, a good DJ often led you down a path and really opened your mind as to what else is out there.

I tended to stay rooted in whatever came through the airwaves. My older sister was Sherbert, ABBA and Bay City Rollers, and I was Skyhooks so that's where her influence started and stopped.
The day when I returned to the family Statesman and the first ever cassette I owned The Best of Skyhooks, lay melted on the dash, it was like breaking a favourite toy.
I also remember our babysitter would always come over with new 45's and play them for us. I still have the 45 of TMG's Jump in my Car, which she gave me as this was my favourite.

Sometimes music for me is akin to discovering a new colour or flavour, then wondering how you haven't seen or tasted this before.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:24 pm

Your mention of Bootsy Collins caused me to have a look at that most ridiculous of things - the applicable Rolling Stone "list". I see Bootsy is number 4 in their list of the "50 Greatest Bassists of All Time". They have found 26, it seems, that they think are "better" than David Hood. And 24 they think are better than Cliff Burton. And 14 they think are better then "Duck" Dunn. This is startling to me. And they have Bill Wyman at 23 - despite his very apt observation, which they quote, that “There must be hundreds of better bass players than me" - never was a truer word spoken.

For the record, I don't make stupid lists like that but, if I did, I reckon I'd have Danny Thompson at 1 (he isn't in their list), John Wetton at 2 (he isn't in their list) and Flea at 3 (they have him at 22). If I were adding straight jazz bassists, I'd probably find a spot for Stanley Clarke (they have him at 13) and Ron Carter (they have him at 10) somewhere in the top 5. Unless I were putting Jack Briuce at 1 - but then I ask myself how you can even rank the bass-playing on "Crossroads" - it was never human and, to this day, sounds more as if he were temporarily possessed by an alien superbeing than a mere mortal having a (probably stoned) crack at a 12-bar blues.

Incidentally, for those (still) wanting to underrate the Beatles, it will be fun to see that Rolling Stone declares that Paul's bass-playing has been underrated for too long - and then underrates him at 9. Laughing
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:18 pm

Just put Crossroads 'live' on.
Ridiculous that they were only together for 3 years. What might have been.

Rarely mentioned, but I always thought Stings bass playing has been overlooked.

Noel Redding.

As with any 3-piece bass player, they've got to be good.

The Duck, session guitarist with Stax, say no more. If I was going to go out, his death must have meant he did good in his life, dying in his sleep after a performance.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:28 pm

Mind you, that list is not (quite) as stupid as their list of "250 Greatest Guitarists". Here, I make a clear distinction between musicians whose music I love and musicians who can actiually play well (occasionally, the two bins overlap). So, how does Joni Mitchell (amazing as her music and singing is) get to be at 9, with Duane Allman at 10 and Carlos Santana at 11? They got Jimi at number 1 correct - but that's probably the least disputable thing in the history of music. I assume dropping Eric from his obligatory position at 2 (he was really unuckjy to play the same instrument as Hendrix - in any other universe he must have been number 1) to 35 (seriously, people, what were you on when you did this - was it really because he made some silly comments about COVID during lockdown?) in favour of Chuck Berry was an editorial brain dysfunction. Yes, Chuck was a fabulous innovator and all that but, you know, 2nd all-time at playing the guitar?

And it may not be worth making any comment at all about Robert Johnson at the lowly 16, James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet jointly at 23 (seriously, the second guitarist and the lead player in the same band ranked as equals? - only a fan could do that!), Frusciante in the list at all (my daughter thinks the RHCPs are great - but even she knows the only thing to do when Frusciante plays that solo in Californication is to laugh hysterically at its ineptitude - as a side note, I respectfully observe that Rolling Stone's mention of what they describe as 'the volcanic, Hendrixian solo on “Dani California"' might be described by anyone with even a passing knowledge of Jimi's playing as a "borrow" of the riff from Purple Haze - and this from someone who has "Stadium Arcadium" on permament repeat in his car CD stacker - mostly, it must be said, because Snow (Hey Oh) is a wonderful song), Neil Young at 30 (yes, I know he is an icon to many but if he actually had any basic control of any sound that came out of his guitar, it would be a fine thing - it's one thing to be able to play anything at all and specifically choose to allow your instrument to take over; it's another thing altogether to be unable to play anything and have your instrument take over by necessity - it worked on Ohio and Wloodstock - but that was more than 50 years ago), - out of deference to Donny's views I say nothing about the ranking of a member of Queen in the list - ....

No, actually, I've got to stop - I see Angus and Malcolm rated jointly at 38 (as to which, generally, see Hetfield and Hammett, above). As to them specifically being in the list at all, see Exodus' cover of Overdose to hear how it might have sounded if the lead guitarist was good. In fact, I can hear it, now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TJ7KHm7IfA

There, how many people has that offended? Probably all of you on a good day.

Meanwhile, I take a further peak at the list and see Johnny Ramone at 44 but Steve Cropper at 45, the Edge at 47 (seriously, is there any evidence he can even play a chord progression adequately without all the electonics?), Satriani at 94 (the guitarists' guitarist, of course - but why would you take any notice of what people who play the instrument brilliantly think?) - behind Lou Reed at 89 (this is not about taste - I idolize Lou but it never occurred to me that anyone would want to play like that), Bert at 81 (the guy was to the acoustic guitar what Hendrix was to the electric but, given he was English, I suppose his memorial foundation should be grateful Rolling Stone knew of his existence - truth be told, Jimmy Page probably told them about Bert at some time) but - despite the Roling Stone penchant for listing both guitarists in a band together - without any mention of John Renbourn in the list at all (most good judges think Bert was wonderful but Renbourn was technically the better player; certainly Bert thought so, as evidenced by Renbourn gettmg all the solos), McLaughlin at 72, Sumlin at 73, Blackmore at 75, Fripp at 59 - seriously, they must have put up a couple of thousand names and thrown numbered darts to choose (and then surreptitiously moved the number 1 dart to Jimi when they didn't hit his name with any of the 250 darts, so they wouldn't be caught red-handed).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:37 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
Just put Crossroads 'live' on.
Ridiculous that they were only together for 3 years. What might have been.

Rarely mentioned, but I always thought Stings bass playing has been overlooked.

Noel Redding.

As with any 3-piece bass player, they've got to be good.

The Duck, session guitarist with Stax, say no more. If I was going to go out, his death must have meant he did good in his life, dying in his sleep after a performance.

When Steve Cropper describes you as the best bass guitarist ever, Rolling Stone should probably take the hint and rate you a little higher: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/may/13/donald-duck-dunn-dead-tokyo#:

Sting's in the list. He's solid.

Noel Redding - well, Jimi didn't - it appears - much like his bass-playing, although we all did.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:42 pm

Back on "Duck", it was good he could play the bass because acting was never going to be a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFG5qIYmQi0

The greatest movie ever made, of course (Kagemusha a close second - but his bass playing in The Blues Brothers was the tie-breaker over Tatsuya Nakadai's).
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:09 am

Noiseworks, Touch. As inspirational today as it was when I was a kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y82wp8I455k
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:10 pm

Soundgarden, Rusty Cage. Goodness, Chris Cornell could sing.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:35 pm

I'm mostly a metal head but have been listening to a lot of The Cure esp the earlier records, I think Robert Smith is under-rated as a guitarist, not overly-technical but has a unique way of giving certain chords an unsettling sound. I'm no musician but I think they are minor notes within the chords. I can hear his influence on some of the black metal stuff I used to listen to.

The Cure was a bit before my time, but Seventeen Seconds is my favourite so far.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:02 am

^ I love all of those early albums. I had the record cover of Faith on my bedroom wall in my early 20s!
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:18 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Soundgarden, Rusty Cage. Goodness, Chris Cornell could sing.

It took me six months after his death before I could bring myself to listen to his voice again.
Unbelievable voice that still sends shivers down my spine every time I hear songs like Wide Awake, Patience and Fell on Black Days.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaiT8gATzxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZOTdgVQiHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rIVhyFhts

Crying or Very sad
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:38 am

This clip of Brian Johnson talking to Howard Stern about how he joined AC/DC just popped up on YouTube. It's about the only time their algo has suggested something worthwhile!

How's this for a first nervous ditty as the newbie trying to impress? You Shook Me All Night Long!

Here's the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlS5jamJrd8

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:48 am

Pearl Jam's new release 'Dark Matter'...ok but hasn't won me yet. Finally touring here again in November for first time in 10 years. Time to tick another bucket list item.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:15 pm

^ not that I didn't like it, but to me I thought it was more of the same from Pearl Jam.

P4S, I've got Crossroads Live back on again as I type.
and to your earlier comment
Quote:
and Ron Carter (they have him at 10)

I read that as Rod Carter. I didn't think 'tilt' was known for his fretwork.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111, 112  Next
Page 110 of 112   

Jump to: