Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

leonmagic wrote:
get off the roads.

+1
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:32 am

I cycle to work most of the time (about 14 km's one way) using St Kilda Road most of the time - it's OK but at times (taxi drivers especially) make it difficult. I've been doin' it for years. I'm not fast & my bike wouldn't allow me to be fast.

I thought I would lose weight but I've put on!! However the shift work I work makes it diffuclt at times. For am shifts I'm up at 5.15. Some times i'm required to work nights & then I'm too f...d to ride.

But that intersection at St Kilda Junction heading north to the City is invariably diabolical. The other dangerous places includes swanston street. pedestrians are unpredicatable & of course the taxi drivers.

I wouldn't mind having a casual ride to Frankston some time. I agree with you about the paths thay can be more dangerous & 8unpredictable than the roads. I taught my kids on the road as footpaths with highter density living means there's too many cars backing out of driveways which i think is very dangerous.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:35 am

JacJacJacqui wrote:
Melbourne to Frankston? Jesus.. I think I'd die..

You's be surprised how quickly you become accostomed to riding a few clicks

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:29 pm

leonmagic wrote:
get off the roads.

Get off your high horse! I pay 2 vehicle registrations and if I want to ride my pushy on the road you can go blow it out yer arse!

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:45 pm

I cycle along Gardiners Creek bike path into the city from Malvern once a week - about a 30km round trip with a stop at Southgate for coffee. Would like to to it more often but with work, school and kids can't fit it in.

Nice ride except for the headwinds you can get b/w Burke & Tooronga Roads (for some reason it is always windy there).

sharrod_theiceman Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Skids wrote:
leonmagic wrote:
get off the roads.

Get off your high horse! I pay 2 vehicle registrations and if I want to ride my pushy on the road you can go blow it out yer arse!

I don't mind cyclists on the road, except when the tour de france wannabes ride 3-4 abreast on beach rd, no sympathy for them if they get abused/injured from doing that

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:18 pm

How did you hear about HAL?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Lycra clad speed humps
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:25 am

Skids wrote:
leonmagic wrote:
get off the roads.

Yes, you pay vehicle rego to put your vehicle on the road.
Now if you paid rego to put your pushy on the road there would be no problem.
Until then..................
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 am

As a cyclist who rides on bike tracks not roads I took out insurance to protect other people. If I run into them they are gone. Me on my specially built fat mans bike Laughing is like a B Double coming towards you. There should be a registration which includes insurance for all bike riders. Many people have been hit by riders including the elderly who have no comeback from injuries sustained. I love riding my pushy which is helping me shed the kilos and getting me fit. In saying that I have not gone down the Lycra track as me in Lycra will scare children and they will never mentally recover. Razz
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:55 am

sharrod_theiceman wrote:
Skids wrote:
leonmagic wrote:
get off the roads.

I don't mind cyclists on the road, except when the tour de france wannabes ride 3-4 abreast on beach rd, no sympathy for them if they get abused/injured from doing that

They take up 1 lane of a two lane road. That is fine. Does your car take up 2 lanes? There should be no excuse for endangering the life of a cyclist or have abuse hurled at them. I pay rego for our family car (& for my oldest daughter).

I will not ride on bike paths because pedestrians & dogs are unpredictable & in my view dangerous for cyclists (at the local park a few years back a dog went chase my dog & ran in front of my bike - I fell over & cracked my wrist - concrete ain't very forgiving)

It's the attitude from very few drivers to cyclists that is a cause for concern. Cyclists are legally allowed to take up a lane when there is no bike lane. Most car drivers most of the time are reasobale (mums in 4 wheel drives on the Mobile are an exception). As a cyclist don't get near private schools and a vacant car space at drop off & pick up times. Mothers in 4 wheel drives are murderous.

That is not to say some cyclists aren't in the wrong.

But to endanger a cyclists life because a large group uses up one lane of a two lane road (or support abuse & the like etc) is awful. Why would you wish ill & misfortune on those who have nothing between their bike and the road?

I've had full cans of beer thown at me doing more than 40 clicks an hour (down hill on St Kilda road after Alma Road, Macca's bags thrown at me by real hero's when doing nothing other than cycling home from work. How many times at intersections do drivers park over the spot clearly painted for bicycles at traffic lights? Then don't get me started on the way bike lanes magically cut out & disapperar on major roads leaving a cyclist to do what? Most cyclists try to be helpful & ride on the line separating say a left turn lane & a lane proceding forward. However drivers are incliced to use up the space that they are given & I find it frightening at times. So I take up the whole lane using hand signals for the 10-50 meters getting through an intersection might take. For example, riding south along St Kilda road, left turn lane into Domain road -I usually stay in the middle of the left turn lane with an outstretchced right hand & so far this has worked well when I'm proceding straight ahead.

I wear a cycling top (the sweat factor is big & the tops are great for that). They have 3 big pockets on the back which I use on my near daily commute for Mobile, wallet keys etc) the tops are practical.
In my mind I'm Lance Armstong, in reality I'm not (Mastermind: special subject - the bleedin' obvious)

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Lycra clad speed humps

Laughing

sharrod_theiceman Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:57 am

watt price tully wrote:
Why would you wish ill & misfortune on those who have nothing between their bike and the road?

I don't wish ill on them. I just have no sympathy for someone if they get injured doing something stupid on the roads. It's the same with motorbikes zooming between cars, scooter riders crashing without leathers, drink drivers, speeding p-platers, drugged out truckies, etc.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:59 am

yesterday i was cycling through st kilda junction and it certainly was an interesting experience trying to negotiate it.

what really pisses me off about many cyclists is their double standards on the roads. if you want to cycle on the road you have to remember you are a vehicle and have the same rights and obligations. it drives me mental to see cyclist run red lights, fail to indicate, jump on and off footpaths and other non-compliant behaviour which gives other cyclists a bad rap. no wonder motorists want to mow them down.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:57 am

jmcp wrote:
yesterday i was cycling through st kilda junction and it certainly was an interesting experience trying to negotiate it.

what really pisses me off about many cyclists is their double standards on the roads. if you want to cycle on the road you have to remember you are a vehicle and have the same rights and obligations. it drives me mental to see cyclist run red lights, fail to indicate, jump on and off footpaths and other non-compliant behaviour which gives other cyclists a bad rap. no wonder motorists want to mow them down.

+1 agree 100%.

Not wearing helmets & dark clothes, no lights at night gets up my nose.

At the St KIlda Junction intersection I've been known to get in the middle of the lane going staight down St Kilda Road next to the cycle lane which is next to the left lane turning into queens road. THis is because too many cars want to get ahead in the left lane going straight down St KIlda road & then chuck a leftie across the cycle lane into the queens road lane - Sundays are the worst. I'm happy to cop the abuse for about 75 meters when it does occur (rarely).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 2 of 43   

Jump to: