Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the last movie you watched?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Air. The story of how Nike signed the absolute GOAT

Brilliant and moving.

Driven, dedicated, put basketball on the world stage at an unprecedented height, there will never be another like him.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:46 pm

Oppenheimer, so not me but 5 hours to kill before the flight home!
watched the meg2 first, not as good as ther firsgt, but an enjoyable romp

so oppenheimer, not my thing, i didnt know the story, but i thought the movie was captivating, the weird back and forth and the over the top music score got a bit annoying, but it all fits with the theme i guess.

and wow, it shows how far back US politics has been a basket case for. disgusting the way he was treated, (yes ive done some research sitting at the gate!!)

really, watch it, its a lesson if nothing else

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:30 pm

Extraction 2.

Much better than the first one, quite enjoyed it. Bit of Taken, John Wick mixed with rocky 4.

I never want to be in a Georgian Prison.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:35 pm

Wall Street. Forgot how good that movie is. With the exception of Daryl Hannah who I am convinced is a <snip>.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:34 pm

Watched the 2nd half of the GF, then switched to A few good men.

Dang that movie is a beast!

So many actors giving the performance of their careers.

But Jack? Jack is just extraordinary!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:43 am

^

I watched it from the start last night. Damn it's a good movie. I planned to go to bed around 10 but got sucked in and watched the whole thing.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:11 pm

Killers of the Flower Moon. Bloody hell, it's looooong. That said, it kept me in.
I so wanted to walk out blown away by another Scorsese masterpiece, but while it had all the opulence of a Scorsese fil, it came across as a bit indulgent.

Given the cast, strong acting was blended with John Ford like cinematography, but I just think the pace of the film detracted from the story and perhaps with it a bit too much fictional filler.

I look forward to watching it again, as maybe there were some nuances that I missed in the message or storytelling.

Laurie's rating, 7 goals 3 behinds.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:30 am

The siege of Jadotville.

It’s on Netflix, the futility of war and the cowardice of the commanders, the utter bravery and heroism of the 150 Irish troops.

Now I get what the **** is going on between Israel and Gasa. The innocent have no hope.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:59 pm

Caught my second epic within a week, this time it was Oppenheimer. If there was any lingering doubt it was extinguished, Christopher Nolan is a genius.
I don't know what his magnus opus will be, he's still 53 years old so hopefully his best is yet to come, but if he left off from here, he's left some legacy.
If he's not already viewed as the equal of contemporaries of Spielberg and Ridley Scott, he will be now.

I was blown away at the quality of the music score in Oppenheimer. We (me included) bang on about our favourite rock albums, but without these composing geniuses, these movies just wouldn't carry the weight of the visual and audio experience they deliver.
As you sit there, the sound pulses through you to give you an audio experience to compliment the visual and cerebral senses, as the story unfolds.
While he didn't have his usual musical score counterpart in Hans Zimmer (Interstellar), (Dunkirk), (Inception) and collaborated once again with composer Ludwig Göransson (Tenet).

At 3 hours, a movie needs to keep pace. The editing suite is one where magic also has to happen. I couldn't even guess at the amount of footage they'd have to work through, and in order to achieve the continuity required to keep this moving along and the viewers engaged.
And it wasn't just the music score that hit the mark, it was the silence. (you'll know it when you see it) Once again, he collaborated with editor Jennifer Lame (Tenet).

And you don't achieve the visual brilliance required without once again collaborating with equally brilliant cinematography from Hoyte Van Hoytema, (Interstellar), (Dunkirk), (Inception), (Tenet).

So Nolan tends to gel his team together like the Pies coaching panel!

As far the acting, full marks for casting. Cillian Murphy & Robert Downey Jr. might have delivered the best acting in a role of their careers. And Emily Blunt, apart from being a stone-cold fox, matches them for on screen presence.

Yes it's long, but this cinematographic masterpiece never felt laboured, it's a story as important as any in history and it was faced with the weight of expectation, but how it delivered.
Amazing. What I love about film is the same as when I first sat transfixed in a theatre as a young lad, it picks you up and the World stops while you become engaged in what unfolds before you.

Laurie's rating, 10 goals straight.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:01 am

For fellow film lovers, I'm really enjoying this series on SBS. The one on the 1970's in particular.

Watch 'The Movies' streaming now on SBS On Demand.
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/the-movies

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:54 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
Caught my second epic within a week, this time it was Oppenheimer. If there was any lingering doubt it was extinguished, Christopher Nolan is a genius.
I don't know what his magnus opus will be, he's still 53 years old so hopefully his best is yet to come, but if he left off from here, he's left some legacy.
If he's not already viewed as the equal of contemporaries of Spielberg and Ridley Scott, he will be now.

I was blown away at the quality of the music score in Oppenheimer. We (me included) bang on about our favourite rock albums, but without these composing geniuses, these movies just wouldn't carry the weight of the visual and audio experience they deliver.
As you sit there, the sound pulses through you to give you an audio experience to compliment the visual and cerebral senses, as the story unfolds.
While he didn't have his usual musical score counterpart in Hans Zimmer (Interstellar), (Dunkirk), (Inception) and collaborated once again with composer Ludwig Göransson (Tenet).

At 3 hours, a movie needs to keep pace. The editing suite is one where magic also has to happen. I couldn't even guess at the amount of footage they'd have to work through, and in order to achieve the continuity required to keep this moving along and the viewers engaged.
And it wasn't just the music score that hit the mark, it was the silence. (you'll know it when you see it) Once again, he collaborated with editor Jennifer Lame (Tenet).

And you don't achieve the visual brilliance required without once again collaborating with equally brilliant cinematography from Hoyte Van Hoytema, (Interstellar), (Dunkirk), (Inception), (Tenet).

So Nolan tends to gel his team together like the Pies coaching panel!

As far the acting, full marks for casting. Cillian Murphy & Robert Downey Jr. might have delivered the best acting in a role of their careers. And Emily Blunt, apart from being a stone-cold fox, matches them for on screen presence.

Yes it's long, but this cinematographic masterpiece never felt laboured, it's a story as important as any in history and it was faced with the weight of expectation, but how it delivered.
Amazing. What I love about film is the same as when I first sat transfixed in a theatre as a young lad, it picks you up and the World stops while you become engaged in what unfolds before you.

Laurie's rating, 10 goals straight.

yep really not my thing but it was captivating. so well done, and so $£$%^%%$ ....eye opening and sad

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:12 pm

Big George Foreman. Quite good biopic. Really enjoyed it.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:09 pm

Caught documentary Mutiny in Heaven https://www.birthdaypartymovie.com/ at the flicks last night, which chronicled post punk enfant terribles The Birthday Party.
The doco interplays live performance footage and archival interviews with the band members, 3 of which survive today, and apart from Mick Harvey, that is a miracle in itself.

It's a dive into the hedonistic world of the band, which after only 21 years after Elvis Presley performed Hound Dog on the Ed Sullivan Show, it is hard to believe what they were performing and producing. Their break-up in 1983 is now closer to the end of WW2 than it is today.
If the social moderators of the day thought Elvis was going to corrupt the youth of the day, the visceral live performances coupled with their avant-garde writing style would have seem them deem this band as straight out of hell.

For those who love their music, and importantly Australian music, strap in, it's a hell of a doco, figuratively and literally.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:49 pm

Leave the world behind!

How to make 2.5 hours feel like 4

Fuckng terrible

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:22 pm

Last week when the t20 game was called off in Geelong, I got on the Disney channel and put on Die Hard. Told Mum "it's a Christmas movie, just watch it"

When it was finished she said Thank you.

Nothing says Christmas like a free fall off Nakatomi tower. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239  Next
Page 236 of 239   

Jump to: