Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the last movie you watched?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
The Day After Tomorrow. Absolutely hilarious. A climate change disaster movie in which the north polar icecaps melts as a result of global warming, drastically altering the salinity of the Atlantic, which, in turn, causes alterations to the North Atlantic current that trigger a new Ice Age. The United States is basically destroyed and - on the advice of our Climate Science Hero - the doubting President orders northerners to shelter in place and southerners to evacuate. I fell asleep to magnificent scenes of Americans illegally crossing the Rio Grande to reach the safety of Mexico as unlawful non-citizens. I don’t know how it ends but I expect the ending is less relevant than the destructive spectacle.

Great stuff. Some of the CGI is quite well done and some of the acting is close to passable. Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm), cast in the role of the Elderly Omniscient Scientist who is monitoring temperature fluctuations in the World’s oceans, adds some dignity to proceedings (I suppose).

A classic in the hokey disaster film genre, that one! I saw it when it came out and was (as a 15-year-old) unironically impressed by it. Would be interesting to revisit it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:17 pm

^ I saw The Towering Inferno when it came out. But that was more of a serious contribution to the genre than The Day After Tomorrow.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:14 pm

That sounds like it wouldn't be a difficult feat. Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:09 pm

I may, of course, have been inclined to treat The Towering Inferno as a more serious work of art because I had to pay to see it.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:11 pm

2 nights ago;

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

I liked it, but I love old westerns and that whole era of filmmaking and picked up on who the characters were supposed to be during the film.

Last Night;

[i]Point Break.
(2015)

Easily one of the worst films I have ever seen. Absolutely horrific. Got about 40 mins in and we stopped it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:48 am

Presti35 wrote:
2 nights ago;

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

I liked it, but I love old westerns and that whole era of filmmaking and picked up on who the characters were supposed to be during the film.

Last Night;

[i]Point Break.
(2015)

Easily one of the worst films I have ever seen. Absolutely horrific. Got about 40 mins in and we stopped it.

Once upon a time in Hollywood is a great film - marvellous acting.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:03 am

Recently watched Trumbo (2015). Very good film on Netflix. True story from the McCarthy Era.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0dZ_2ICpJE

A great film from 1976 about the McCarthy era starring but not written or directed by Woody Allen is "The Front" really well worth seeing: a ripper of a film

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq8V9Zwa82M

Saw "Special Correspondents" on Netflix (2017) with Ricky Gervais and Eric Bana good without being great althoughn the premise is great.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kKTFAEQgSY

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:03 pm

David wrote:
A classic in the hokey disaster film genre, that one! I saw it when it came out and was (as a 15-year-old) unironically impressed by it. Would be interesting to revisit it.

I went to the cinema to see 'The Day After Tomorrow' as a 10 year old. Good times!

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:49 am

In the 1990's there was a heavily promoted disaster film called Deep Impact with Morgan Freeman. The trailer looked so good so I made the Journey to Doncaster to watch it on the big screen.

It seemed like the first hour and a half was leading up to the asteroid hitting the Earth, and the last 20 minutes was the aftermath. I left feeling it was the most overhyped movie ever and I had been conned.

I haven't gone to the cinema since.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:43 pm

Yeah I kind that one disappointing too
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:38 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
In the 1990's there was a heavily promoted disaster film called Deep Impact with Morgan Freeman. The trailer looked so good so I made the Journey to Doncaster to watch it on the big screen.

It seemed like the first hour and a half was leading up to the asteroid hitting the Earth, and the last 20 minutes was the aftermath. I left feeling it was the most overhyped movie ever and I had been conned.

You win, the last time I went to the cinema was to take my daughter who was still in primary school to one of the LOTR movies. She's now 28.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:53 pm

Coen Brothers week on SBS this week starting with:

"No Country for old Men" on Monday 29/6/ 9.30
"Millers Crossing" on Tuesday 9.30
"Barton Fink" on Wednesday 9.30
"Raising Arizona" on Thursday 9.30
"Intolerable Cruently" on Friday 7.30
"True Grit" on Friday on Friday 9.40

SBS are showing some great films on their movie channel

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:11 pm

The real True Grit? Or the second-rate recent remake?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:

You win, the last time I went to the cinema was to take my daughter who was still in primary school to one of the LOTR movies. She's now 28.

I remember going to see all three Star Wars movies in a triple-header to mark the release of the third one (either The Empire Strikes Back or The Return of the Jedi, I forget what order they came out in). That would be ... oh ... 1984 maybe.

And a couple of years after that I foolishly agreed to go with 6 or 8 friends to see Wayne's World, which was awful. Never been back.

The first film I remember seeing was Laurence of Arabia in 1964 at the open-air theatre in Alice Springs. Back in those days, it wasn't considered worthwhile putting a roof on the town movie theatre. I mean, what would be the point? It's not as if it rains often enough to worry about.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:10 pm

Tannin wrote:
The real True Grit? Or the second-rate recent remake?

I liked both

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
Page 186 of 239   

Jump to: