Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the last movie you watched?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i've been meaning to watch whatever works, my favourite comedic filmmaker and my favourite comedic tv personality combined... but i've heard mixed things and the trailer wasnt so great.

Ok, so i watched eternal sunshine and was engrossed... absolutely unbelievable flick, loved EVERY minute of it and the ending was superb. I'm already planning to rewatch it soon it was soooo good. Kate winslet is great, i never rated jim's serious work before (or his comedic work for that matter) but he was also great.

So on the basis of that, I watched another film from the same writer: Synecdoche, New York with Seymore Phillip Hoffman.

I didn't enjoy it at all while watching it. Very morbid and sad through-out from end to finish, very confusing as the director just adds things into the film without explaining what they mean to you directly (such as a house that is eternally on fire, a warehouse in new york city that can fit in a life-size replica of new york city, his daughter's diary which continues to add new pages of her life even though she moved away when she was 4).. etc. you're forced to interpret all these things yourself so it makes for a very very confusing watch. I got the holistic, overall meaning of the film but there were still specific parts which i still don't understand (like why did the daughter excuse him for being gay? possibly the mother made up lies about him but nowhere in the film does it say this, you have to make your own conclusion..). For people who enjoyed it, its probably a film that you must rewatch to fully appreciate. For me, while I appreciate the overall message i think the actual film was a bit of a pain to watch i don't think i'll see it again. But you know its a good film because ever since turning it off i have been thinking about it so much

sorry for the long winded report.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:21 am

"Whatever Works: Woody Allen's latest film. I'm a big fan, but this didn't do much for me. 3 stars (out of 5)."

I quite liked it once I got used to Larry David being Woody but I agree it is not one of his best.

"Boudu Saved from Drowning: French comedy from the 1930s about an upper-class man who saves a beggar's life, and invites him into his home, causing all sorts of havoc. Humour and social criticism hold up surprisingly well. 4 stars.

I haven't seen this but I saw the American remake of this in the 80s, Down and Out in Beverley Hills." I'd be interested to know how similar the films are if you watch the American film, David

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:06 am

A movie I saw a couple of weeks ago - it was recommended to me by my local Video Shop owner - was "Irreversible".

It stars Monica Bellucci and Vincent Cassel, as well as a host of other French actors but I only mention the above as most people won't know the other actors.

This has to be one of the most powerful movies I've seen for a while. Now without spoiling it for anyone who may wish to see it the movie is basically about the folly of revenge and the "irreversible" nature of what happens during a persons life.

There are scenes of violence that some may find difficult to watch but this movie was intended to be confronting and is well worth the experience.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:18 am

sounds good. i liked changing lanes by samuel L and ben affleck. is it similar to that?
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:29 am

Kingswood wrote:
sounds good. i liked changing lanes by samuel L and ben affleck. is it similar to that?

No Changing Lanes can't hold a candle to Irreversible. Two completely different movies, but if you enjoy movies that have brilliant scripts, acting, direction, production, etc this one's for you. It is French made so be warned there will be subtles.

Also the gulf between the graphic nature of the violence in Changing Lanes compared to Irreversible would be like comparing Soccer and Rubgy.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:03 am

OEP wrote:
if you enjoy movies that have brilliant scripts, acting, direction, production, etc this one's for you.

lol who doesnt like that.

but i got ya. i only compared it to changing lanes cos it sounded like a similar plot, two people get carried away with getting revenge on the other and they dont realize the irreversable damages they're doing to each others life until its too late

i'll check for it. subtitles dont bother me. in fact i usually watch english movies with subtitles on
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:37 am

Kingswood wrote:
Ok, so i watched eternal sunshine and was engrossed... absolutely unbelievable flick, loved EVERY minute of it and the ending was superb. I'm already planning to rewatch it soon it was soooo good. Kate winslet is great, i never rated jim's serious work before (or his comedic work for that matter) but he was also great.

So on the basis of that, I watched another film from the same writer: Synecdoche, New York with Seymore Phillip Hoffman.

I didn't enjoy it at all while watching it. Very morbid and sad through-out from end to finish, very confusing as the director just adds things into the film without explaining what they mean to you directly (such as a house that is eternally on fire, a warehouse in new york city that can fit in a life-size replica of new york city, his daughter's diary which continues to add new pages of her life even though she moved away when she was 4).. etc. you're forced to interpret all these things yourself so it makes for a very very confusing watch. I got the holistic, overall meaning of the film but there were still specific parts which i still don't understand (like why did the daughter excuse him for being gay? possibly the mother made up lies about him but nowhere in the film does it say this, you have to make your own conclusion..). For people who enjoyed it, its probably a film that you must rewatch to fully appreciate. For me, while I appreciate the overall message i think the actual film was a bit of a pain to watch i don't think i'll see it again. But you know its a good film because ever since turning it off i have been thinking about it so much

Eternal Sunshine is great! I need to watch that again. Completely agree with you on Synecdoche, though. Interesting, but felt kind of boring and pretentious at times, and it seemed like it would never end.

Dr Pie wrote:
"Boudu Saved from Drowning: French comedy from the 1930s about an upper-class man who saves a beggar's life, and invites him into his home, causing all sorts of havoc. Humour and social criticism hold up surprisingly well. 4 stars.

I haven't seen this but I saw the American remake of this in the 80s, Down and Out in Beverley Hills." I'd be interested to know how similar the films are if you watch the American film, David

Haven't seen it, but I did read about that - from what I've heard, they maintained a lot of the ideas but ended up focusing on only the more superficial aspects of the story.

OEP wrote:
A movie I saw a couple of weeks ago - it was recommended to me by my local Video Shop owner - was "Irreversible".

It stars Monica Bellucci and Vincent Cassel, as well as a host of other French actors but I only mention the above as most people won't know the other actors.

This has to be one of the most powerful movies I've seen for a while. Now without spoiling it for anyone who may wish to see it the movie is basically about the folly of revenge and the "irreversible" nature of what happens during a persons life.

There are scenes of violence that some may find difficult to watch but this movie was intended to be confronting and is well worth the experience.

I thought Irreversible was a very, very good film, but there's no way I could watch it again. It contains at least two of the most disturbing scenes that I have ever seen in a film. Watch it, but be warned, it is pretty gruesome.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:02 am

OEP wrote:
I thought Irreversible was a very, very good film, but there's no way I could watch it again. It contains at least two of the most disturbing scenes that I have ever seen in a film. Watch it, but be warned, it is pretty gruesome.

Indeed the "subway scene" was one of the most realistic depictions of that, that I've ever scene (I'm intentionally being vague so that I don't give too much away for anyone that reads the above and decides to watch the movie). Very, very confronting but an integral part of the movie.

JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:14 am

At the cinema? Bruno.. It was pretty disappointing..

On DVD - Wolf Creek. Not bad as far as scary movies go. Although it's still a typical scary movie that makes you scream at the stupid moronic characters rather than because you're scared. John Jarrett was brilliant though. So strange to see him go from his usual lovable larakin-like character to someone so sinister!

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:18 am

Another movie I watched recently, that's a bit more mainstream, was "Tombstone" with Val Kilmer, Kurt Russell, Sam Elliott, Bill Paxton, Powers Booth, Michael Beihn, and the list goes on.

Great movie and in my humble opinion possible Val Kilmer's best work pre the movies "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and "Heat".

While I'm on the subject of great mainstream movies another I watched yesterday was "Phone Booth" starring Colin Farrell, Forest Whitaker and a great cameo by Kiefer Sutherland (bring on season 8 of 24, please).

A rarity in modern movies in that it relied on a great script and acting rather than special affects, and I believe it only took a little over a week to film.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:20 am

JacJacJacqui wrote:
At the cinema? Bruno.. It was pretty disappointing..

On DVD - Wolf Creek. Not bad as far as scary movies go. Although it's still a typical scary movie that makes you scream at the stupid moronic characters rather than because you're scared. John Jarrett was brilliant though. So strange to see him go from his usual lovable larakin-like character to someone so sinister!

Ahh the old "head on a stick" movie.

JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:22 am

LOL.. Was it wrong to laugh at parts of that movie? Jarrett's character is hilarious..

Pirate skulls and bones
Running when we hit 'em
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:34 am

JacJacJacqui wrote:
LOL.. Was it wrong to laugh at parts of that movie? Jarrett's character is hilarious..

If it is then I'm "just a very naughty boy" (another great line from a great movie - The Life o Brian). I have a fairly warped sense of humor at the best of times and found myself laughing when most seemed to be aghast at what was occurring on screen.

JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:38 am

That makes two of us! I always laugh at the most inappropriate times. Like during tear-jerkers. I'm sure I've killed the mood a few times.. But sometimes it's funny! Like when Juliet first realised Romeo has killed himself because he thought she was dead and she started crying - I cracked up... I couldn't help it, it was funny!

Pirate skulls and bones
Running when we hit 'em
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:46 am

i cant do that. im not ashamed to admit the only time i ever cry is when i see someone else crying/ getting emotional.. it just gets to me. if something terrible happened to me i wont even come close to welling up but if someone in front of me tears up then i'll start lol..

so yeh in movies i get emotional at emotional scenes. thank god its dark in there Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
Page 3 of 239   

Jump to: