Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the last movie you watched?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 238, 239, 240  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a movie but a short documentary (15mins) about a wonderful program to protect animals and empower African women - their strength 💪❤️

It’s not preachy and even if you don’t have a great interest in animals it’s a wonderful illustration of what humans can do when given an opportunity.

https://films.nationalgeographic.com/akashinga

Last edited by Morrigu on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
Approriate Behaviour on Stan. A 2014 film about a twenty something Bisexual woman of Iranian descent living in New York. I really identified with her. Laughing

The True History of the Kelly Gang on Stan. I enjoyed it although I found a beardless Ned Kelly a bit disconcerting.

The Trip (2010). Pretty amusing. But won-t bother with the three sequels. For one I don't see how they'd get another three films out this concept without it becoming stale and according to the various film websites I check the first film in the series has the highest rating.

I liked The Trip a lot, and the follow-up (The Trip to Italy) actually wasn’t so bad, perhaps had a bit more of a melancholic-comedy vibe. Appropriate Behaviour wasn’t bad either – I almost had the chance to do a sit-down interview with the director a few years back when it was screening at MIFF, but the timing didn’t work out. She’s done some interesting stuff since apparently.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:09 am

Project Power.

A Netflix movie production. Had some good reviews in theory but I struggled to get into it. Too much stuff seemed unexplained, so you just go with it.

Basic premise is there's these capsules doing the rounds that will give you superpowers for 15 minutes, or kill you. Everyone gets a different power based on your DNA, or hairstyle or something but you get the same power each time.

Being sold to people as an illicit drug is a covert way of doing illegal clinical trials.

Wasn't bad.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:27 am

David wrote:
Sicks Bux wrote:
Approriate Behaviour on Stan. A 2014 film about a twenty something Bisexual woman of Iranian descent living in New York. I really identified with her. Laughing

The True History of the Kelly Gang on Stan. I enjoyed it although I found a beardless Ned Kelly a bit disconcerting.

The Trip (2010). Pretty amusing. But won-t bother with the three sequels. For one I don't see how they'd get another three films out this concept without it becoming stale and according to the various film websites I check the first film in the series has the highest rating.

I liked The Trip a lot, and the follow-up (The Trip to Italy) actually wasn’t so bad, perhaps had a bit more of a melancholic-comedy vibe. Appropriate Behaviour wasn’t bad either – I almost had the chance to do a sit-down interview with the director a few years back when it was screening at MIFF, but the timing didn’t work out. She’s done some interesting stuff since apparently.

Yes. The Michael Cain impersonations were funny. You were supposed to interview the director of Appropriate Behaviour? Is journalism your day job or just a side hustle?

Watched a documentary called State Boys on Apple TV. I signed up for the seven day free trial to watch it. But I'm not going to continue with it. Anywho I'm a bit of a politically junkie so I enjoyed it. https://youtu.be/ViiYJZqGC5w
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:26 pm

Rewatched Million Dollar Baby for the first time in years last night. The easy KOs in the fight scenes look more fake than I remembered but it's still a tear Jerker. Crying or Very sad

I was watching it with my fifteen year old son, who asked me if Clint Eastwood had been in many other films. The first thing I said was 'Yeah! He's a legend.' I better introduce him to Dirty Harry.
David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
David wrote:
Sicks Bux wrote:

Yes. The Michael Cain impersonations were funny. You were supposed to interview the director of Appropriate Behaviour? Is journalism your day job or just a side hustle?

Watched a documentary called State Boys on Apple TV. I signed up for the seven day free trial to watch it. But I'm not going to continue with it. Anywho I'm a bit of a politically junkie so I enjoyed it. https://youtu.be/ViiYJZqGC5w

I edit a film magazine now, but at the time I was roped in by a couple of friends who were organising a series of interviews with filmmakers who were guests of the festival. One of mine, with French director Catherine Breillat, ended up as a DVD special feature in the US!

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:28 pm

Well done. Are you on Letterboxd?
David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:20 pm

Yep, though I have to admit I haven't written on it much since spending about a month on there reviewing every film I watched a couple of years back. I do find it a great resource, though, and often consult it for discussion on films I'm thinking of watching (it's way better than the often comically idiotic reviews on IMDb, that's for sure).

https://letterboxd.com/furbicide/

Do you have an account?

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:41 am

No. I have trouble staying focused on the business at hand, so I try to keep my social media accounts to a minimum. But I like the different filters you can use to search for films on Letterboxd. I'll check out your page later today. I find the reviews on Letterboxd are a bit of a mixed bag. Some are quite insightful but a lot of the popular ones are either performatively woke or just "joke" reviews designed to attract likes. Some of the joke reviews are funny but most of them are just meh.

Last edited by Sicks Bux on Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:49 pm

The Weight of All The Beauty. I streamed it from MIFF. It was a twenty four minute Estonian documentary about the destruction wrought on the lives of a group of men by the 'Bottle Demon' I liked it.

Last edited by Sicks Bux on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:18 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
I find the reviews on Letterboxd are a bit of a mixed bag. Some are quite insightful but a lot of the popular ones are either performatively woke or just "joke" reviews designed to attract likes. Some of the joke reviews are funny but most of them are just meh.

Yeah, can't really disagree with that! You also get some random (unintentionally) hilarious stuff like "vegan alerts":

https://letterboxd.com/allisoncm/films/reviews/for/2017/by/activity/

Quote:
Vegan alert:
-Cheese dip is served at a klan meeting.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:17 pm

Laughing

Quote:
Vegan alert:
-Reference is made to a hamster that was killed.
-Animosity is shown toward a cat (and it's almost kicked).
-The babysitter suggests killing a spider.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:37 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
Rewatched Million Dollar Baby for the first time in years last night. The easy KOs in the fight scenes look more fake than I remembered but it's still a tear Jerker. Crying or Very sad

I was watching it with my fifteen year old son, who asked me if Clint Eastwood had been in many other films. The first thing I said was 'Yeah! He's a legend.' I better introduce him to Dirty Harry.

Nah, work him backwards and sideways, these are his new playlist. We'll skip The Mule as I haven't seen that.

Gran torino
Unforgiven

Then track back to the spaghetti trilogy, a fistfull of dollars, for a few dollars more and the Goodthe bad and the ugly.

While his head is spinning, put on Escape from Alcatraz

Then finish him off with High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale rider , every which way but loose and finish him off with Sudden Impact.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:50 pm

Yes. He has a lot of great films. I also liked Magnum Force and Thunderbolt & Lightfoot. The Mule isn't top tier Clint but is still worth seeing.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:10 pm

I’ve only seen a few Eastwood films and wouldn’t say I exactly dislike his work, but feel like maybe it’s not quite my cup of tea. I’ve heard some good things about one of his most recent ones, Richard Jewell; has anyone seen that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 238, 239, 240  Next
Page 190 of 240   

Jump to: