Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the last movie you watched?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 237, 238, 239  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Defiance.

Bit of a waste of time. I would only give it a 2/5. Predictable storyline with little to keep you interested.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:26 pm

jmcp wrote:
samson and delilah. the lack of dialogue was a winner.

Cannes Award winner. But is it true more people have seen that movie in NZ than in Australia. Wink
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:27 pm

By the way, do you mind if I ask you a personal question? I've been waiting for you. Let us change the subject.
Tokyo Lane 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:31 pm

jack_spain wrote:
jmcp wrote:

Cannes Award winner. But is it true more people have seen that movie in NZ than in Australia. Wink

That would be a shame if that was the case.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:08 pm

jmcp wrote:

Best Australian film of the decade... that I've seen, anyway. I thought it was brilliant. Comes out on DVD next week for all the people who missed it at the cinema.

I saw The Brothers Bloom at Nova on Monday night. Had some amusing moments, but pretty disappointing.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:20 pm

better than kenny?
IMO that was the best australian film ive seen in the past 5 years
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Kingswood wrote:
better than kenny?

can't really compare the two.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:10 pm

My brain contains 58272 categories, but not one that matches your last input.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:04 am

Just had a couple of DVD's. Pitch Black and Bloodsport.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:25 am

jmcp wrote:
Kingswood wrote:
better than kenny?

can't really compare the two.

Exactly. Haven't seen Kenny, but S&D is the furthest thing from a comedy you'll find. For the record, I'd put S&D on my list as the second best Australian film I've ever seen, behind Picnic at Hanging Rock. I liked it that much.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:39 am

stui magpie wrote:
Just had a couple of DVD's. Pitch Black and Bloodsport.

yeh i watched it again a few weeks ago. good one. i was obsessed with van damme movies as a kid so if nothing else it was good for nostalgia reasons
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:35 am

will watch eternal sunshine of the spotless mind tonight.

i found the movie rocket recommended on youtube so looking forward to getting to around that one too,

cheers
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:36 pm

I have been downloading a few movies lately and here is a quick list from the top of my head with a rating and quick comment:

Scarface 9/10 - only the Georgio Marodo music knocks 10% off it, awesome entertainment. First time i had seen it for some reason.

Pineapple Express 4/10 - Seth Rogan was ordinary - the other guy was really good and reminded me of the Brad Pitt character in True Romance - still i was expecting much more from this. Even stoners should probably not bother, though Seth's gf is smokin hot.

This Is It - Michael Jackson 5.5/10 - i fast forwarded a fair bit and i do like his music - the best bit was the excitement of the dancers - you do get a great insight into how advanced they were in the concert preparations - of some interest only.

Paranormal Activity - 8/10 - i watched it alone with the headphones on late at night and had to stop it frequently cos i was SO SO scared. I love a ghost story and the girl in this movie is superb. Very cute natural couple and simple story added to the realism. Loved it.

Let The Right One In 9/10 - this is one of the best movies i have ever seen. It is a Sweedish vampire film. A story about the relationship of 2 children superbly done. The end is spectacular and unforgettable. Highly Recommended.

500 Days of Summer 7.5/10 - very interesting story about love and relationships - a better ending would have made it a 8+. Good movie.

Pirates 2 - some great work here Smile

Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7.5/10 - i cant believe i had not heard of this movie and should be up there with Breakfast Club and St Elmos. Very entertaining teen flick.

Saw I 7/10 - good quality horror with a fair story line.

The Usual Suspects 8.5/10 - high quality story, great flick.

Summary: Yep i have watched way too many movies in the last 4 weeks.
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:00 pm

in the last month

- transformers 2 on blu-ray.
- star trek (2009) on blu-ray.
- Watchmen
- Office Space
- clerks and clerks 2
- fight club
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:45 pm

Here's what I've seen this month:

at the cinemas:

Whatever Works: Woody Allen's latest film. I'm a big fan, but this didn't do much for me. 3 stars (out of 5).
An Education: decent novel adaptation about a teenage girl growing up in the '60s who falls in love with a man twice her age. 3.5 stars.
The Brothers Bloom: Goes for the 'quirky' indie vibe, but tries way too hard. Had its funny moments, but ends up looking like a poor imitation of Wes Anderson's films. 2.5 stars.

on dvd or video:

Wendy and Lucy: Superb US indie film from last year about a girl on a road trip who loses her dog while stopping in a small town. Very natural performances and realistic dialogue, one of the best films I've seen this year. 4.5 stars.
Fruits of Passion: 80s surrealist/softcore flick based on famous S&M novel The Story of O, featuring the borderline-certifiable Klaus Kinski, of all people. Bad English-language dubs always make for unintentional hilarity, but this was surprisingly good. 3.5 stars.
Family Viewing: early film by Canadian auteur Atom Egoyan. If you can get past the wooden acting, it has some interesting things to say about family relationships and the contrast between video images and real life. 3.5 stars.
Boudu Saved from Drowning: French comedy from the 1930s about an upper-class man who saves a beggar's life, and invites him into his home, causing all sorts of havoc. Humour and social criticism hold up surprisingly well. 4 stars.
Brief Crossing: Lesser-known film by provocative French director Catherine Breillat about a one-night affair between a teenage boy and an older woman. Surprisingly moving, with a particularly heartbreaking ending. 4 stars.
Last Tango in Paris: Second time I'd seen this, and it's funny how three years can change an opinion of a film. Marlon Brando gives one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen, and the soundtrack and camera-work are brilliant. 4.5 stars.
The Mother and the Whore: Mentioned this earlier in the thread. The irritating thing about being an obsessive movie geek is that you see something as mind-blowingly brilliant as this, but can't discuss it with anyone you know because it will mean absolutely nothing to them. What's the point of seeing great films if you have no-one to share them with? 5 stars.
To Our Loves: Yet another French flick. Beautiful lead actress, but the film itself isn't much to talk about. There are some domestic violence scenes that come across as ludicrous, which I'm sure wasn't the intention. 3 stars.
Beau Travail: Interesting film about the French foreign legion set in the middle of the African desert. Commandant's pet gets increasingly jealous of golden boy newcomer, and winds up plotting to get rid of him. Reasonably interesting. 3.5 stars.
Chaotic Ana: Recent Spanish film about a woman who discovers through hypnosis that she has had many past lives, all of which have ended suddenly and violently. On a cinematographic level, it's brilliant, and the (at times, disturbing) plot is interesting enough to keep things going for the most part, but the climax (a ridiculous and terribly-scripted showdown between the protagonist and a Republican US politician) is really dreadful. 3 stars.
Secret Defense: Subtly paced French revenge thriller with a number of unexpected twists and turns. Cleverly constructed, with an air of Shakespearean tragedy. 4 stars.
Exotica: Another film by Egoyan, this time set in a strip club. Watchable, but a little hard to follow - certainly a long way from his best work. 3 stars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 237, 238, 239  Next
Page 2 of 239   

Jump to: