Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Demetriou's vision for a 20 team AFL competition

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:35 pm
Post subject: Demetriou's vision for a 20 team AFL competitionReply with quote

Hey "Vlad" why stop at 20 teams

Quote:

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou has for the first time raised the prospect of a 20-team competition.

Mr Demetriou last night revealed Tasmania and either Western Australia or north Queensland could be granted the 19th and 20th licences.

"I don't think you can ever say never in this world, but if we were to have another team down the track you would have to say that Tasmania is the logical place for that team to be - and we have expressed that view to the Tasmanian Government," he said.

"Beyond that, if we were to go to 20 teams and who knows, that may or may not happen, you'd have to think it wouldn't be a team in Melbourne because we've got 10.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-thinks-big-with-talk-of-20-teams/story-e6frf9jf-1225789047210

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone make it stop! Razz
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:54 am

The latest concessions provided to a new Sydney team mean if we don't win a flag within two years we will be waiting another ten waiting for the new team’s concessions to dry up or be voted out. Any struggling Victorian club in two years can kiss their future goodbye. The Swans and the Bears have stuff all support and only achieved their Flags with massive concessions given to them by the AFL. The Greek is like a politician; his spin is that with a whole new team will attract new supporters and more than 20000 of them as it’s not an ex Melbourne team. Sydney people do not attend sports, never have never will. The Swans have 16000 members in a city of 4 million. That says it all. We are talking TV rights and with my crystal ball I suggest that LIVE free to air AFL games may be a thing of the past come the new TV contract.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:00 am

Delusions of grandeur!

Sack the AFL Commission. The clubs need to take back control of the game for their own good.

I can just see us now playing the Cape Town Maulers in Round 1 of the 2020 season. Razz
mugway05 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:30 am

I actually think a team in Cairns will do better then a team in Western Sydney.

Check out: www.myspace.com/mugway05
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 am

20 teams works for me, but 24 would be best. That way we can have a 23 round season and play each team once - play home and away in alternate years and forget about all the crap that goes along with an unequitable draw.

The commission are doing the right thing - they're thinking well ahead to ensure that AFL remains the premier competition in Australia. The VFL is there for those who desire a return to suburban footy.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:28 am

mugway05 wrote:

Skaman will be happy.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:33 am

RudeBoy wrote:
mugway05 wrote:

Skaman will be happy.

Not quite Brucey. 2 Pies in Cairns maybe.

I'm in Townsville (2nd biggest city in QLD outside of Brisbane). Sport is huge in Townsville. Already it has the NQ Cowboys NRL (great crowds better than many NRL crowds in Sydney (not hard mind you!). Basketball NBL, Townsville Crocodiles. Whilst basketball crowd numbers are dwindling around Australia, Crocs home games are often sellouts.Now we have the A-League football also playing out of Dairy Farmers stadium the NQ Fury (hey my young fella even played with Robbie Fowlers offspring the other day on the beach.) Hockey also big NQ Barras.
AFL...hmmm. Lots of ex pats up here, about 90% of Magnetic Is residents are ex Vics. Biggest army base in Australia, big miliatary and RAAF contingent with families (bulk AFL supporters). Ive seen (since mid 80's), a BIG interest towards AFL in what still is a huge NRL stronghold. Townsville has just got Tony Ireland stadium,purpose built for AFL/ cricket, so I think its not to crazy to envisage a base here at some stage. Honestly speaking though, still a long way off IMO.
However Bruce, would be good to see ya up here again with your sombrero , treading the ol' boards! Wink
In the meantime if any of you guys come up for an A-League game with the Victory, let me know, we will give F-Troop an almighty raspberry!! Laughing

fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:34 am

Such nasty realities as extra air pollutants, increased greenhouse gases, heavier & heavier footprints ... what was that about Inconvenient Truths ... ?

I know! Let's call every Round the Green Round ... aaah there, all's better now Wink

Laughing start booking your overseas holidays peoples, make sure you're connected to that pay footy channel, cos next stop is Sth Africa you betcha, the Sthn Hemisphere is our footballing oyster, and glory knows-wots-next!

Dash those sustainable practises that stand in our way, threaten the future of our wonderful Game. Onward we forge fellow-man, to battle & beyond hiho! It's only what we want that matters, b***er the rest Wink

Last edited by fence-banger on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:44 pm

nothing wrong with having a vision but why is every utterance reported as a headline then subsequently taken as gospel. looks like a throw away comment.
fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Hmm, well let's hope Dimmy does throw away such flat-footed ideas.
sq3 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Sorry Skaman - Townsville is not the 2nd biggest city in Qld.

GC is the 6th largest city in Australia and I think that may just put it in front of Townsville - as nice as it is.

I think Vlad is being ruled by the US models way too much where they need divisions as they have just a few more people - about 250 million and if you add in the illegals - 260+ Million.

I liked the old 12 teams and I think Vlad wants the 2 divisions and 20 overall will allow you to play each team (in your division) time twice - for 18 rounds.

This could lead to a longer and bigger play offs or finals series.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:14 pm

jmcp wrote:
nothing wrong with having a vision but why is every utterance reported as a headline then subsequently taken as gospel. looks like a throw away comment.

Fair point there. Trouble with the media is that it bites the hand that feeds it - makes stories out of throwaway comments, so people become more guarded when interviewed, so the media gets even more desperate and makes more out of even less.

The end result is people who don't saying anything and newspapers that have nothing to report on. Razz

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Soon they will be Divisions in the AFL
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Soon they will be Divisions in the AFL

there probably already are.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: