Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made us 'Collingwood people'? from '01 - Add your story

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 2:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived on the other side where all the poor bums lived, mike would of been dodging sir rupert hamer and andrew peacock in his daily troubles the only thing i dodged was some bum wanting a ciggarette.

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 2:37 pm

Yeah it was liberal country alright. You forgot Billy McMahon Joffa.

I lived on the same side of the tracks as you, and you know that, bloody stirrer. The only things that took me over the other side were my paper and chemist rounds - and the tips were bloody awful.

Pies rock Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 2:59 pm

When I was three (1985), my parents took me to a sports shop and mum insisted that dad didn't persuade me to pick a pies jumper. She didn't want two people going thru the misery. Anyway, I like the Carlton jumper best. Dad said there is no way my son is barracking for Carlton and he bought me a Collingwood jumper. Now I am an obsessed Pies fan and proud of it. Just hope I see a flag soon, cos I can't remember 1990 that well.

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 3:02 pm

Well, my grandfather was origianlly a St Kilda fan.
And my Dad started watching footy from a young age and he instantly just became attached to Collingwood. So, because of my Dad, my grandfather decided to join him and become a Pie fan! Had my dad followed my granddad, i would more than likely be a Saints fan! Thank God my Dad wasn't brainwashed by him!

I still remember glimpses of my Dad taking me to a training at Victoria Park in 1989. And i also recall parts of a game againist WCE, i think we got beaten that day of my meomery.

I was about 7, and we had a copy of the 1990 GF, and I just kept watching it over and over with my dad asking him questions about the players and the history of Collinwood. I remember my first Collingwood jumper, which had the big numbers #35 on the back.

And i remember going to many games of Collingwood Vs Brisbane at Carrara in the early 90's, the days when we slaughtered them down there.

And yes, i was there with my number 35 jumper on when Daicos kicked 13 goals aginist them. I was actually right behind the goals. Remember the goal were Daics ran across goal picked up and kicked it? (It was in his top 10 of all time, the commentry goes "Across the face of goal, Daicos and Gaspas, ohh he gets a kick, don't tell me he has kicked that! I will not believe it!"

You can actually see me! Im about 8 rows back standing up with my long sleeved Collingwood jumper on with a blue cap and im clapping! Check it out! Its on his video 'Daicos Hot Shots', check out Nick The Pie Man age 8! LOL

My passion for the pies has grown every year.
I love the Collinwood Football Club and I am not ashamed to admit it.

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
ed healey 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 3:13 pm

Yes Mike i remember the trees,I was talking to my dad a minute ago on the phone and he mentioned that i played with the hamer kids who lived across the road,i dont remember that myself,but at that age we had no recognition of class bias,we were just kids,he said that the house that he worked in was nearest east camberwell station and we walked from there and then back and got the train to the footy at vic park or wherever and apparently when the old folk i think they were Edwards died Andrew Peacock bought the house.
My dad worked for Bramac during the week and did the house cleaning on Sat for 3 hrs as a way to earn a bob or two to help us afford to go to the footy.
I dont think that would compute with modern day kids,who take money for granted.
Maybe it was you i kicked the paper footy to.?

Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 3:36 pm

Well I don't have an amusing story or anything unfortunately, my Dad barracks for Collingwood, my grandfather too, my greatgrandfather did, and apparently his father vice-captained Abbortsford, way back before Collingwood, which is hard to imagine. So that's where the lineage started!!

What Collingwood means to me. Collingwood isn't a football club. You don't go to the footy on the weekends, then foget about it. It's a way of life. You feel bad when you lose, terrific when you win, even though you had absolutely no influence on the result.

It's everything Collingwood stands for - pride, courage in the face of adversity, and above everything else, honour and loyalty. If you don't bleed for the club, you barrack for Carlton. It's about being able to say, after a loss to the bottom side, I know our boys gave their best and it just wan't their day, in the knowledge that they're going to come out and rip the opposition to piece next week.

The players give their most to win the game, they do it for the jumper, and it feels like they do it for you. And by-god you're going to help them, you're going to scream your lungs out, you're going to cheer them as they come off for a breather, you're going to tell the opposition exactly what Browny's going to do to them when he regains conciousness.

I remember, when I was bout 14 (I think!) in the dying stages of a round 18 game aginst Geelong, when Gary Ablett kicked a goal with two minutes to go, and they won by 5 points. I cried, cause that put us mathematically out of the finals. Five rounds to go and a teenager sitting in his room believed that his team were going to win the last 5 games of the season to make the finals, after a pretty mediocre rest of the season.

Pride, Passion, Faith, Loyalty and Honour.

Good Old Collingwood forever.

[This message has been edited by Brown26 (edited 28 October 2001).]
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 3:37 pm

when did i start supporting the mighty pies. I don;t have any other family members who are magpie supporters so no one to pull me in the direction of the pies. My 2 brothers support richmond and essendon,my dad follows carlton and my mum well she likes the eagles and sydney(long story that one) and apparently in the 80's(I am 24 yrs old btw) and i went thru this stage of wearing only black and white clothes(btw,i am female*S*) and that's the only reason given to me on how i became a magpie supporter and LOVING IT!!!!!!!.

1990 was a brilliant year and one i will never forget. I do hope the mighty pies will get it together and get in the finals*s*.

next question,what does the pies mean to me now*or something along those lines*S* well.....
The pies are the only team that gets me fired up. I can't eat,drink anything while the pies are playing because all the emotions under the sun happen when i watch the pies play like i minute i'm happy that the pies are leading, then i am angry and shouting at the screen when the pies are leting the oposition back in and feeling down all week if the pies happen to lose. I love the pies really but can;t they just win the games by not giving us supporters all heart failures basically every week(or is that just what happens to me?????) anyway the pies rule!!!!!!!

GO THE MIGHTY PIES

Jarrod Molloy RULES!!!!
Cyclops 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:06 am

Well there is a strong family theme here, and I'm no different.

My Grandad played two games for University before the war in the VFL. He then moved to QLD, and sent my dad back to a Melbourne boarding school. My Dad went to a match in the 40's and saw a great Collingwood comeback and he was caught.

On Mum's side, her dad was agnostic and her Mum a non-practising Bomber (i.e. she washed, ate with a fork etc.). My mum had exactly the same conversion experience as Dad-she went to a game (in the 50's this time) where the Pies had a big comeback win, so she was caught too.

Dad was pretty strict about footy-you had to learn to kick both feet, and barrack for the Pies. If we lost, he wouldn't watch the replay. It was a real shock when my brother started playing for another VFL club duing the 80s. Dad went to all his games, and started supporting them, even when they played Collingwood! We felt betrayed. When my brother retired (=was axed) Dad reassembled his split allegiance. I suppose barracking for your son is some excuse, maybe.

My brother never stopped being a Pie in his heart, even though he pretends he has. The proof is, he took me and another brother and a mate to the 1990 GF, and at the end he sang the song right through TWICE! He was so happy the Pies had won.

On a side note, I've got a bunch of neices and nephews now, and the question of allegiance is a very real one. Some are Collingwood, but sometimes the brainwashing goes wrong and they turn to other clubs! We need an intervention from a cultbuster to win them back.

I don't think much about what it is to be a Magpie, I suppose because I can't imagine being anything else.

Legga 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:50 am

All these stories have one constant finale to them. It doesn't matter how you got there, the main thing is you got there.

My father was a born again Magpies supporter (orginally South due to the fact that he was a boyfriend of Bob Pratts daughter) but was more interested in cricket. He started selling newspapers outside Vic Park in the late 40's early 50's on match days, and saw the successful pies sides play, and all the supporters. He always said that a win meant more money in the pocket at the end of the day. From there he just became a Collingwood supporter, and being the only boy in the family, I had no other option. By the time I was born in the late 60's, dads support for the pies had become fanatical, going to every game etc, so as if I had a choice who I would barrack for.
My first game was at Vic park in 1975, and dad and I stood in the outer, watched us beat St.Kilda (I think it was St.Kilda, I know we won) and some bloke in the crowd ragging on Len Thompson, and all these Collingwood blokes just absolutely tearing this guy apart (verbally, of course). From there, it was Collingwood all the way. In 1978 I joined the cheer squad, and have enjoyed the rollercoaster ever since.

donny 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:58 am

what a great question

i cant remember exactly why i started going for the pies,but as a kid i can remember watching big barge brian taylor and i grew up worshipping him.i love going to the games and meeting new people and going through the highs and lows of the club.

when i was in the army up in queensland i was out "bush" and as engineers go out for a while we set up our own "boozer" and being a saturday we had the day off and there happened to be a pie game on.i was only new in the squadron but after a piss poor umpiring display i got out of my chair and let out a tirade of abuse at the top of my voice.the whole boozer went quiet and stared at me and then slowly started laughing.i got known around the unit as the "collingwood supporter",and then from then on people would go out of their way to find out if collingwood lost on the weekend just so they could try and fire me up.i struck a deal with my troop commander that if collingwood won on the weekend i could wear my magpie jersey at monday PT instead of the unit t-shirt.this used to get me in a lot of poo when i would run around the barracks with everyone pulling me over wondering why i wasn't in proper sports uniform until i proudly let them know that the pies got up on the weekend.they would run off thinking i was a looney but thats how much the club means to me.

GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 11:16 am

I'm a magpie because my Dad was, like many replies to this thread I was born black and white. My dad came to Australia from Hudderfield in Yorkshire in the early 1950's after joining the Australian army in the UK. He was based initially at Victoria Barracks and wanting to learn about Australian culture (apart from Carlton draught) starting going to the football with an Essendon supporter, my uncle Norm. One particular Saturday afternoon he was taken to Windy Hill to see the bombers play a "mongrel mob called Collingwood". By half time my dad had decided to support Collingwood, he always said that they played football like a good Yorkshireman approached soccer, union, or league. Play hard and tough with a healthy dose of niggle. So it was probably Lou and the Weed giving out plenty of crap that did it for him. We went reguarly over the years, me and my five brothers, we are all Collingwood.

Great topic Joffa, many of us are born magpies and not made. My daughter has become interested in Australian rules this year as her boy friend plays. He is a Port supporter, however she declared that while she may not have yet realised it she was a Collingwood person like her dad and Port could go and get rooted. It goes on and on and thank goodness for that. My son has always been a magpie, I signed him up as a cadet member and have continued his membership into social club membership. By the time he is 25 he will have been a Collingwood member for 13 or 14 years.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:36 pm

Well i got my one and only black and white scarf from my cousin and my undying love for Collingwood stemmed from there. The more i went as i grew up the stronger the bond came and the more i realised that i had made the right choice. Nothing or noone comes between me and Collingwood.

APA

EVERYONE IS A COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER ITS JUST THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE IN DENIAL
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:25 pm

Top thread Joff...

Unfortunately I havent a long story to tell mainly because I cant ever remember not loving the pies...Guess I was just born to be a Collingwood supporter....

What Collingwood means to me? well.... its the air that I breathe, its the beat of my heart, its the smile on my face, its the tears in my eyes, its the blinding sun and its the biting rain, its my sweetest dream, and its my worst nightmare, everything else pales into insignificance.... apart from my family..... Collingwood is... and always will be... my world, my life!

BE LOUD...BE PROUD

MAGPIRA 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:12 pm

WOW Cobood!

You just blew me away.....that was just about the most fitting description of what Collingwood means that I ever read....YOU MOVED ME!! .......I guess those beautiful words goes for me too!

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 6:50 pm

My roots: I lived in Johnston Street Collingwood until I was 12. I went to Gold Street Primary. So I played in and around Sackville Street, Easey Street, Keele street, Little Abbot street, all 2 blocks from Victoria Park, and the pub over the road was the watering hole for some of the players.

I *really* got serious in 1964, and lo' and behold we made the Grand Final! From then on I became deeply committed. I used to keep stats on every game and arrange them in all sorts of combinations. I still have the exercise books bulging with notes and clippings right up to the early 70s. We had some truly great sides in them thar days and the true excitement they produced cemented the passion. I will forever resent Carlton winning in 1970 no matter what great tactics they employed to escape the hole they were in.

I went to many many games throughout those years and through personal *lows and hard times* during that period Collingwood helped to bring me much joy. I am considerably older now and I don't depend on the magpies like I used to for happiness, but the fire burns in the soul for them still.

I want Collingwood to remain an Everest above all other clubs, win or lose.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17   

Jump to: