Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Almanac is back!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:25 pm
Post subject: The Almanac is back!Reply with quote

Following the independent success of the 2007 Footy Almanac, this year's model is bigger and better!

Edited by the indefatigable John Harms and Paul Daffey (so you should already know it's gonna be good), the 2008 edition sports a marvellous cover painting of a dejected Richo by Jim Pavlidis and includes:

* A foreword by songwriter David Bridie (Not Drowning, Waving; My Friend the Chocolate Cake; solo artist) - too bad for him he's a Demons' fan;

* A preface by Waleed Aly, one of the better writers and thinkers of our time - too bad for him he's a Tigers' fan;

* Match reports on every single game played this season by a whopping cast of 87 contributors, including yours truly and, thankfully, even a few women this time (the blokiness of last year's affair was unfortunate);

The brief was the same as last year. We wanted personal accounts of the games, whether watched from the couch, the pub or the outer. Preferably not the press box. Personal bias was encouraged. The idea was to celebrate our great game in a way that illustrated how it touched (and sometimes dominated) our lives - not the dry accounts of the Monday papers.

RRP is $29.95, BUT I have four copies of the book for lucky Nicks' readers - first in can have it for $25, including postage to anywhere in Australia!

This will be THE bible of the 2008 season and, now with support from Penguin, is set to be a continuing tradition for years to come.

Get in quick!

- Piper

Almanac.jpg

Last edited by Pied Piper on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

PS maybe a sticky for a short time mods?

PPS For those who miss out I may have some more copies later. Stay tuned. Otherwise in all good bookshops, perfect Xmas present, etc, etc...

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:36 pm

an excellent read with a variety of unusal perspectives in watching our great game.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:52 pm

Thank you mods Very Happy

One copy down already. jmcp first in and as smartly dressed as ever. Three to go...

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 pm

^ was/am looking forward to it. 180 odd short stories all with a blend of unique humour mixed in with the odd fact.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:53 pm
Post subject: Re: The Almanac is back!Reply with quote

Pied Piper wrote:
Following the independent success of the 2007 Footy Almanac, this year's model is bigger and better!

Edited by the indefatigable John Harms and Paul Daffey (so you should already know it's gonna be good), the 2008 edition sports a marvellous cover painting of a dejected Richo by Jim Pavlidis and includes:

* A foreword by songwriter David Bridie (Not Drowning, Waving; My Friend the Chocolate Cake; solo artist) - too bad for him he's a Demons' fan;

* A preface by Waleed Aly, one of the better writers and thinkers of our time - too bad for him he's a Tigers' fan;

* Match reports on every single game played this season by a whopping cast of 87 contributors, including yours truly and, thankfully, even a few women this time (the blokiness of last year's affair was unfortunate);

The brief was the same as last year. We wanted personal accounts of the games, whether watched from the couch, the pub or the outer. Preferably not the press box. Personal bias was encouraged. The idea was to celebrate our great game in a way that illustrated how it touched (and sometimes dominated) our lives - not the dry accounts of the Monday papers.

RRP is $29.95, BUT I have four copies of the book for lucky Nicks' readers - first in can have it for $25, including postage to anywhere in Australia!

This will be THE bible of the 2008 season and, now with support from Penguin, is set to be a continuing tradition for years to come.

Get in quick!

- Piper

One of your fellow magpie supporters who used to live in QLD and knows you pretty well has moved to melb, His name is Andrew tall young guy with black hair and guess where he now lives ?
Right next door to me..we were having a nice chat about what a champ of a guy you are Wink

woody-woody 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:23 pm

Well worth a look.
Had a beer with John Harms at half time of the Saints final - lovely bloke. He is good mates with Barrie Cassidy (ABC - Insiders etc) who is a mad pies fan and great bloke too.

John is a Cats fan but true lover of the game. Like Martin Flanagan his writing reminds you why you love watching the game. Unlike Carro & Shitey's barrage of whinge and snipe passed off as writing which makes you consider taking up gardening on weekends.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:26 pm

I am sure he would like to hear that.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:40 pm

I be intrested in getting a Copy
handy point Aquarius

Long distance Pie.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am

MY favourite read of last year. If I was currently living in Aust I'd take up that offer, but I'm going to try to get a copy sent over here anyway.

Hope it becomes a yearly tradition.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:56 pm

hey PP are you the same one thats been posting on bigfooty as of late?

i hadn't even heard of this last year but it sounds like a magnificent read and one to keep in the collection. i also overseas, and i'm thinking i'll have to get my brother to grab me a copy and send it over with him in a few weeks!!
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:58 pm

No, I've never been a bigfooty poster. Is there a Pied Piper there as well?

I only have two copies left...

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:07 pm

yeh his/ her name is also pied piper but no capitals.... the reason i asked is that it didn't sound like you at all..guess i was right
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:23 pm

Got the Info?
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Yes DTM, thanks. On its way next week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: