Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

It's time to move on.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:33 pm
Post subject: It's time to move on.Reply with quote

There has been some truly moronic stuff posted in general discussion over the past few days: "The players don't care"; "2 premierships in 50 years, we don't have a winning culture yada yada"; "Dale Thomas plays for himself"; "players x, y and z are rubbish"; etc, etc.

Guess what. Losses happen. Bad losses happen. "But," you argue, "should we accept a bad loss?"

Well, what else are you going to do - organize a protest outside the Lexus Centre? Lead a midnight lynch mob on Mick Malthouse? Stop showing up to games?

Fact is, we have a good team. We have a very good coach. Off-field, we have nothing to worry about. Even given all that, losses will still happen. It's a part of life, and even the most successful football team can't win every week.

Yes, it's been a long time since we won a premiership. I know that as much as any of you - I turned 2 the day after our 1990 premiership win, so I don't even have that as a distant memory. When I started following Collingwood earnestly, the Tony Shaw years were just beginning... I didn't even see a finals campaign until 2002. Those of you who lived through the 60s, 70s and 80s would have endured even more heartbreak.

But isn't that what supporting an AFL team is all about? You support them during the bad times as well as the good times. On average, each team is only going to win a premiership once every 16 years... so the average AFL supporter is going to have to endure 15 years of missed opportunities for that one year of premiership success. And not all teams are even that lucky. How do you think Saints fans feel with only one flag from 112 years of competition? Sure we like to bag them out, but what about Richmond supporters? Do you sometimes wonder why anyone follows the Tigers? 2 finals campaigns from 25 years, and a revolving door of sacked coaches and bottom of the ladder finishes. Perhaps we could learn something from Richmond supporters - the very mention of the word football must make them miserable, and yet, there they are supporting their team week in, week out (even if they are spitting and tearing up their memberships while they do so Laughing).

So, what do we do when we're faced with frustrating losses, and missed opportunities? What else can we do, other than look to next week, and hope for a victory? And, while there's still a mathematical chance, hope for that premiership that we compete for year in, year out. That premiership (in this case, the 2008 flag) is still within our grasp. We are much more than just a mathematical chance. Yes, it'll be a struggle, and yes, we may well not get there. That's how it goes. All we can hope for is that we have a team that has talent and competitiveness, an intelligent and inspiring coach, and tens of thousands of screaming Collingwood supporters attending matches cheering our team on, even when all is lost. The first two factors are already there, but out of our control... yet we can very much control the last.

So, stop bagging players who may have underperformed. Stop using empty, meaningless phrases like 'winning culture'. Stop attempting ridiculous feats of psychoanalysis from your armchair. Just support. And, you never know, in the end that might be the edge that gives us that long-awaited premiership.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said David. You're right. Time to move on to the next drama at our great club. Smile
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:52 pm
Post subject: Re: It's time to move on.Reply with quote

David wrote:
There has been some truly moronic stuff posted in general discussion over the past few days: "The players don't care"; "2 premierships in 50 years, we don't have a winning culture yada yada"; "Dale Thomas plays for himself"; "players x, y and z are rubbish"; etc, etc.

why are you only isolating it to just the last few days? Surprised

on the flip side there's been some very good stuff. unfortunatelymany posts invariably degenerate because of mindless, ill researched, ill informed and nonsensical comments and the lack of an ability by some to present a coherent, well thought out counter or complementary argument.

Last edited by John Wren on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:53 pm

Well said David.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:05 pm

I hear what you are saying David,and you put it very well,you make good points.BUT,that loss to North was an absolute shocker,a kick right in our guts,and it takes time to come to terms with such a bad,bad day.But,onto next week,we have the erratic bombers,which is a toughie,they will come out hard,and we must be ready for them.I hope all the critics tip essendon,we do much better as underdogs.Go Pies!!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:07 pm

the loss against hawthorn was much, much worse in my book.
melliot 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:23 pm

yer, disapointed by the loss, but don't think its the end of it all. Thought the blues losses were the worst. North are pretty good on their day (just like us), so no embaresment IMO.

Threads like "trade Cloke" arn't worth reading past the 1st page. IMO shows little knowlage of Football (not that I'm a guru, but why trade a key star CHF, who is rated by everyone who counts. Glad their not managing the club).

baby and bath water come to mind so often. We have a youngish team with simlar ages to the blues. but we're NOW mixing it with the best. At least enjoy that fact.
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:26 pm

I'd like one more day at least, of this nonsense.

It's bloody entertaining
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:35 pm

Kingswood wrote:

It's bloody entertaining

you're a clow. Wink and speaking of clows, did you hear vozz o give chapman two 50's yesterday? one cos chapman called vozzo the clow a cheat.

Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:38 pm

I think it gets worse as we go deeper into the year.

Surely most people could claim to be under the influence of mind altering drugs, because no straight person would think like that.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:45 pm

Top post, David. Unfortunately, it will fall on many deaf ears. I've heard the line "one Premiership in 50 years" that many times I'm surprised no one's written a song about it. Surely Shannon Noll's looking for a new top 10 hit?
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:50 pm

Kingswood wrote:

It's bloody entertaining

That's why we love Nick's! Very Happy
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:51 pm

frankiboy wrote:
Top post, David. Unfortunately, it will fall on many deaf ears. I've heard the line "one Premiership in 50 years" that many times I'm surprised no one's written a song about it. Surely Shannon Noll's looking for a new top 10 hit?

I know just the man to write it too frankiboy. Mike Brady - good Collingwood supporter. Wink
hardluck77 Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:55 pm

rocca ben reidsent and tell how you think
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:00 pm

hardluck77 wrote:
rocca ben reidsent and tell how you think

are you related to hal? Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: