Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 1 v Port

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
LOL,

hey, serious question about Toovey. People at the game seem to have rated his game very highly; what kind of role was he playing?

ie, was he doing the run out of defence after getting a handball recieve; was he playing loose' playing on a direct opponent (KP or small); winning it in the clinches......... I'm trying to figure out what style of game he plays.

KP defender. Winning it and rebounding. Made a huge tackle late the last to prevent a goal that would have given The Borough a sniff. Great chase after a long game.

Of the the three contenders for the Goldie spot I thought Jack was more effective. Harder at the contest and always willing to leave his man to assist another, yet blanketed his opponent out of the game. Is super fast carrying the pill. Running fast with the pill while surveying your options is a completely different thing to just running fast.

Shannon was great on the rebound in bursts and his delivery into the half forward is good. He is the quicker of the three, not that Alan and Jack are slow. Shannon is just a speed machine and breaks tackles easily. Really does move like a Darryl White.

Tough choice coming up for MM and the selection committee for the Richmond game. Alan had a real impact in the corresponding fixture last year kicking three goals, but Jack is clearly AFL quality and deserves a crack at it very soon just based on his incredible work ethic. Then again Shannon has that X factor appeal.

What a great position to be in. We are packed full of tall, fast, strong half back flankers.

Cox was great on the rebound and really took on the tacklers. He is very illusive

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
LOL,

hey, serious question about Toovey. People at the game seem to have rated his game very highly; what kind of role was he playing?

ie, was he doing the run out of defence after getting a handball recieve; was he playing loose' playing on a direct opponent (KP or small); winning it in the clinches......... I'm trying to figure out what style of game he plays.

Gavin Brown was quoted in the paper today as saying Toovey was clearly our best player. I must say i've never rated him, and thought he'd never make it in the AFL. Still, I thought the same thing about Swan and even Heater when they started, so I don't have a good track record in picking young players.
Beavis 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:26 pm

Alan Toovey is a battler. He is a throwback to our battlers in the late 1990's. He is a good athlete but has a poor poor footy brain, particularly under pressure, which is where he will come undone at AFL level. It's harsh, but we shouldn't be wasting our time on him when you know someone like John Anthony has the potential to be a 10 year defender for us and could be a star AFL defender in the Clement mould.

Lot's of average players can dominate at VFL level, but you need to be able to pick up whom has that little bit extra something special that puts them ahead. Toovey doesn't have it, Anthony definitely does. There is no way I'd even think about putting Toovey in ahead of Anthony next week if Goldsack doesn't come up.

If possible I'd also play Wellingham next week and have Egan dropped. Reid and Dawes aren't there yet.
Snoop Dog 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:34 pm

Alan Toovey is a crap kick and i would rather go with someone who is going to use the pill better.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:53 pm

Thanks D4Pies and others. Interesting the mixed messages about Toovey, he seems to polarise opinion.

at 189 he's not going to make it as a KPP in the AFL. I hope he keeps working hard and who knows.

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:18 pm

I am seriously bummed out. For some reason they do not even show VFL games on ABC 2 in QLD now. Sucks the big one.

As far as enjoyment goes the VFL games are more entertaining than the AFL IMHO.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
BUNG Capricorn

pies forever

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:18 pm

bwphantom wrote:
I am seriously bummed out. For some reason they do not even show VFL games on ABC 2 in QLD now. Sucks the big one.

this is a list of games shown on abc tv with the *

rounds 2, 5 , 7 , 12, 15 and 18

COLLINGWOOD RESERVES - 2008 VFL FIXTURE
Collingwood Reserves - 2008 VFL Fixture

Rnd Date Match Venue Time
Sat 29 Mar
Collingwood v Port Melbourne
MC Labour Park
2:00 PM

Sat 5 Apr
Williamstown v Collingwood
Burbank Oval
1:10 PM *

Sat 12 Apr
Northern Bullants v Collingwood
MC Labour Park

Sun 20 Apr
Frankston v Collingwood
Frankston Oval

Split round - bye

5 Sun 4 May Collingwood v Geelong MC Labour Park 2:00 PM
Sat 10 May
Coburg v Collingwood
ABD Group Stadium

Sat 17 May
Casey v Collingwood
Casey Fields

Sat 24 May
Werribee v Collingwood
Bartercard Oval

SANFL v VFL - Sat 31st May

Sun 8 Jun
Sandringham v Collingwood
Trevor Barker Oval

Sun 15 Jun
Collingwood v Northern Bullants
MC Labour Park

Sat 21 Jun
Collingwood v Williamstown
MC Labour Park

Sat 28 Jun
Box Hill v Collingwood
Box Hill City Oval

Sun 6 Jul
Collingwood v Frankston
MC Labour Park

Sat 12 Jul
Collingwood v North Ballarat
MC Labour Park

Split round - bye

15 Sat 26 Jul Collingwood v Bendigo MC Labour Park
Sat 2 Aug
Geelong v Collingwood
Skilled Stadium

Sat 9 Aug
Collingwood v Werribee
MC Labour Park
1:00 PM

Sat 16 Aug
Collingwood v Tasmania
MC Labour Park

Sat 23 Aug
Port Melbourne v Collingwood
TEAC Oval
1:00 PM

Sat 30 Aug
Collingwood v Casey
MC Labour Park

* Match shown live on ABC TV
Please note the round 10, 14 and 15 matches were originally scheduled to be AFL curtain raisers but will now all be played at MC Labour Park.

Last edited by BUNG on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JAJH1 Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Where did you get the info the games are shown on the ABC in Qld? All the info I have searched including the ABC website indicates the VFL is NOT shown in Qld.
panga Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:31 am

where do you get abc2 coverage for the vfl for a particular state? the website doesn't seem to show it.
BUNG Capricorn

pies forever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:54 am

go to www.collingwoodfc.com.au
click on the vfl link and youll find the info there or click
http://collingwoodfc.com.au/Football/CollingwoodVFL/tabid/9639/default.aspx and scroll down the page

it doesnt actually say what states will show the games but heres hoping we get it in QLD

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:16 am

The ABC only broadcasts the VFL to Victoria and Tasmania.

All football from interstate (SANFL & WAFL) has been dropped from the ABC2 schedule.

Therefore, the only way interstaters will get to see the VFL team play is if they know someone in Victoria who can record it (VHS or DVD) for them.

Hooked
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:01 pm

Is there anyone from the game that may get dropped? Brad Jones was excellent yesterday and I was impressed with his skills, ethic and fitness.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:23 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
LOL,

Gavin Brown was quoted in the paper today as saying Toovey was clearly our best player. I must say i've never rated him, and thought he'd never make it in the AFL. Still, I thought the same thing about Swan and even Heater when they started, so I don't have a good track record in picking young players.

On that sort of a record I want you to pick a lot more players to not make it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: