Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cousins named in Pies VFL squad

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:00 pm
Post subject: Cousins named in Pies VFL squadReply with quote

Rumours suggest the delay in the VFL squad being announced is contract delays with Cousins. Prepared to be wrong on a slack news day.
Wink
Some sources suggest he has signed with Port Melbourne for $100k. They do not have the money as their Long time backer is no longer available for cash.
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

All VFL teams have to have their final squad list submitted later today, so I'm sure we'll find out soon after 2pm.
Hooked
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:41 pm

I heard that in HS said we can't get him because the VFL Team is Affiliated to the AFL side
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:16 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
I heard that in HS said we can't get him because the VFL Team is Affiliated to the AFL side
Think about it DTM. He will be registered in the VFL and playing in the VFL, just like if he was playing in the WAFL. They cannot change their rules/ruling midstream. AFL links are irrelevant as that would rule out 60% of the clubs. Rolling Eyes
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:18 pm

So is he on the list or not?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Rumour says yes he is, Contract is the sticking point.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:28 pm

Here is an Article:

Quote:
Life, fate, destiny but no Pies jumper
Comment by Mick Malthouse
March 14, 2008 TWO weeks ago I got a call from a friend who also happens to be a mate of Ben Cousins.

He suggested that seeing Ben was in Melbourne, it would be good for the two of us to catch up. As everyone knows, we go back a long way, to the days when I coached a youthful Ben at the West Coast Eagles.

So I met him last Friday for coffee. There were certain things spoken about which will forever remain totally between Ben and myself, but what annoyed me was that it was painted as a secret meeting.

It is hardly a clandestine meeting when you have a coffee in Domain Rd, South Yarra, at a very popular restaurant at 8.30 in the morning.

And the number one thing to understand is that the meeting wasn't about whether he was going to come and play for Collingwood. That was never asked.

We talked about whether he wants to play next year when his AFL ban is over, but we didn't ever discuss him playing for Collingwood.

It was never designed to be anything more than a coffee with a former player. I have a lot of time for him and his family, and of course have had real concerns about Ben's health.

I found Ben to be in a really positive frame of mind and the meeting was more about how he is going to handle the rest of this year and the rest of his life. But the meeting with Ben can also be seen in a broader context.

I take a keen personal interest in helping to rehabilitate young men whose lives have gone off the rails in some way.

I am patron of the YMCA Bridge project, which helps young men who have been through the juvenile courts and have been in custody.

The project aims to get employers to take on one or more of these young men when they get out, to give them a chance.

It has been proven beyond doubt that if they have a job they are much less likely to re-offend and their chances of rehabilitation are much greater.

While Ben has not been subject to any criminal penalties, he was charged by the AFL with bringing the game into disrepute. In his own way Ben needs rehabilitation.

I see a direct correlation between the YMCA Bridge project and Ben's situation in that it is about giving Ben a chance. It doesn't mean I have to employ him as a footballer, it just means being able to talk to him in public without him or me fearing how it will be portrayed.

I do think it is important down the track that Ben attempts to come back and play football if he gets the all-clear from the AFL.

It is something he needs to finish off so he is not remembered for being banned by the AFL, but as a bloke who has fought through something that has put a black mark on his name and come out the other side.

There has been speculation that Ben might play for the Collingwood reserves side this year but that is simply not an option.

As to next year, our recruiting policy has been steadfast. Our criteria is that we pick players who can give six-eight years of top-line service. We won't be talking to anyone who doesn't fit that category unless there are extraordinary circumstances.

So my meeting with Ben had nothing to do with Collingwood recruiting Ben, neither in the VFL nor the AFL.

He did not ask for my advice and we simply chatted about life in general, what he has been doing over the past few months and where he sees himself going.

Ben is superbly fit and that is an indication of his dedication.

He has had problems with illegal substances, no one is denying that, but after speaking to Ben I feel he is making every endeavour to get his life back in order. This is primarily about Ben getting his health right, that is what I am concerned about.

I have only seen him face-to-face three or four times since I left Perth in 1999 but this was the best I've seen him look.

I am no doctor and I don't want to suggest for one moment that he is over his problems, but he is trying to get on top of things.

At the moment Ben is unsure of where he wants to settle down. He is questioning whether to go back to Perth. He has been in Sydney but probably won't stay there and he said he likes the atmosphere in Melbourne.

It is far from me to predict where Ben will end up but I, like many others, hope that the worst is behind him, taking into account that these things are not easy to get over. Ben has got a massive fight on his hands.

But from the time he came to the Eagles as a brilliant 17-year-old, he has shown great strength of character, the strength to follow things through.

When he first arrived at the club we had a voluntary exercise that we liked all the players to do at each training session. Ben never left the track until he did that and it indicated to me that he had a strong belief in himself.

He always attacked things 100 per cent and at 100 miles an hour, though clearly during the past few years that has often been in the wrong direction. But it is that trait that makes me confident he has the capability to fight his way out of this.

And when he is back in Melbourne, I am sure we will catch up for another coffee and chat.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:45 pm

Never say never. I am not to fussed if he plays in the VFL. To come back and play elite level after a long period is very hard so I doubt we will ever see him at AFL again.
Dale61 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Culprit wrote:
Never say never. I am not to fussed if he plays in the VFL. To come back and play elite level after a long period is very hard so I doubt we will ever see him at AFL again.

Much like Ryan Lonie?

Hooked
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:52 pm

Don't get me started. Razz
Dale61 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:54 pm

Speaking of the VFL team, what's the latest with the hook-up with East Burwood?

I heard that since Eugene left, any deal / proposal is now null and void.

Hooked
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:58 pm

When will the List come out?
jonesy86 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:04 pm

I seem to recall that at the time when Cousins was de-registered by the AFL they said he couldn't play for the Collingwood or Geelong VFL as he would be training at an AFL club and using their facilities.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:05 pm

To my knowledge Dale its started over again with someone new. Once they are familiar with the paperwork and get up to speed it will be done. Verbal agreement so its a matter of time.
Dale61 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:06 pm

As I have already posted in the other thread, the only clubs Ben would be eligible for are Tasmania, Frankston and Port Melbourne, as none of these clubs have any official link to an AFL club.
Hooked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: