Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Confirmed - Buckley Retires

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished watching it on Fox Sports news.

Feel very flat right now. Someone else already summed up it perfectly by saying only one word was needed; Champion!

I knew he'd hold it together but there were a couple of moments there when he had to bite the lip. Also never seen Ed look so flat either. Understandable though.

It's a sad, sad day and he will leave a massive hole unfortunately. But he's also left the best possible legacy, which Mick alluded to. It will be the greatest irony if the culture he helped create produces a flag for the current playing group.

I hope to hell he returns as a coach in a few years and receives the ultimate prize he deserves.

Thanks for everything you've done for this club Bucks. There won't be another like you for a long, long time.

Adz 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:01 pm

I feel so numb.
swooper 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:06 pm

Everything happens for a reason....imagine IF we beat Geelong and ended up playing in a grand final....and WON it.....without Nathan Buckley...... that would have been too awful to consider. I believe now losing to Geelong was 'meant to be' - our chance will come in the next couple of years (hoping...).
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:07 pm

Will Be Sadly Missed. Nothing more joyful to watch was his return game against the Swans this year, his pin point passing was a joy to behold. Well Done Bucks on a brillant career. A true Collingwood Hero.

www.facebook/the hybernators
woods_the_best Taurus

AFL Premiers 2010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:25 pm

http://news.realfooty.com.au/collingwood-skipper-buckley-retires/20074405-12n9.html

Good summary of press conference....

Simo 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:32 pm

Devastated. I am at work and feel like crying.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:41 pm

Even though the ultimate premiership eluded the great man, at least he will leave the game and the club with his head held high, knowing what great shape and direction the club is heading in. Hopefully to return to be a premiership coach at Pieland. I think thats his destiny.
slangman 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:47 pm

Bucks, you were the shining light in a bleak period during the late 90's. Even though I new we would get beaten, I always looked forward to seeing you strutting your stuff in the black n' white. No player in my time follwing the club has had a greater bearing on me than the famous number 5.
Premierships alluded you when many players of lesser note recieved them. But they will never be remembered as a CHAMPION as you will forever be remembered as.
Good luck to you and your family and may we have the priviledge of one day cheering you on again, as a premiership coach with the mighty Collingwood Football Club.

piester 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:48 pm

I am so glad that as a WA based Pies fan I made it to Subiaco for the semi and saw him play and have a victory against the Eagles. I had a feeling it would be the last time I would enjoy in person the privilege of watching our great captain and champion run out and play. So many wonderful memories of one who truly gave his all and then some.
Dakstar 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:02 pm

Devastated!!!

Thankyou very much Bucks, your a tru champion & the BEST footballer to ever play teh game by a mile!

You won more B&F's than Voss & Hird, You won a brownlow like them, you captained this great club mopre times than any other...

The most consistant brilliant footballer I have ever seen!!!!!!

I love ya bucks & you will forever be a magpie...

Going to miss ya champ!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:14 pm

thank you bucks. you reminded me what excellence looks like. all the very best for your future.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:33 pm

Farewell champ. Thank you for being everything that a Collingwood player could possibly be, and more.

Best of luck with your future endeavors.

go pies 3 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:56 pm

i feel more sick about not seeing Bux play again than any of the grand final losses I saw........

it also disturbed me to hear him say he intended on playing on and needed to be talked out of it.......

congrats to Bux on an unbelievable career
EBB 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:10 pm

Bucks my favourite player, what can I say, but thanks and best wishes.
frazwatch 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:38 pm

Tania Buckley's quit relief
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22535283-11088,00.html
Karen Collier
October 05, 2007 06:17pm

Quote:
COLLINGWOOD captain Nathan Buckley's wife Tania is relieved the star skipper's playing days are over after a tough year plagued by injury.

This afternoon, the Pie champ confirmed he'd played his last game. After 280 AFL matches, he said he could no longer trust his body.

"He was miserable for most of the year and not around a lot because he was consumed with trying to get his body right," Tania Buckley told Herald Sun Online.

''It's really hard on your relationship and friends and family.

"I would have supported him no matter what and would have loved for him to go on if he could because it has been a massive part of his life for so long.

"I told him `if the fat lady hasn't sung go for it' because I just wanted him to be happy.

"But now the decision is made it will be nice to have him to myself a little bit, to be a bit selfish, and for our son.

Tania said it would be impossible to keep Buckley away from the game completely, either as a media player or in some way with the club.

She revealed the pair had a heart-to-heart chat on the weekend before Buckley flew to Queensland on Monday.

They spoke several times over the phone on Tuesday before he came to the conclusion his body couldn't handle another season.

Tania said her husband agonised over quitting, but once the choice was made he was "at peace" and didn't break down.

"He is such a strong character. If it was me I would have cried my heart out, but I don't think boys are like that. They know what they want."

Tania held back tears yesterday as she cradled nine-month-old son Jett at Buckley's official retirement announcement.

"Someone told me to tickle the roof of my mouth with my tongue to stop the tears. It worked."

She said she had forged fantastic friendships with other women at the club and would miss the weekly camaraderie.

The Magpies' most decorated player was joined at a press conference at the club's headquarters by tearful club president Eddie McGuire, who made the formal announcement, coach Mick Malthouse, and members of his family to confirm his illustrious career was over.

A composed Buckley, 35, admitted he was feeling "a bit numb" about his decision and confirmed his desire to coach in the future.

He said he'd wanted to play next season but his various setbacks, which almost led to his retirement during this season, had finally taken their toll.

Buckley revealed he would not have been able to play in the Grand Final had Collingwood got over the line against Geelong in the preliminary final because he had again tweaked his troublesome hamstring for the seventh time this year.

And despite never holding a Premiership cup aloft, he was bowing out with no regrets.

"Over the last couple of weeks the mind has been going all over the place - should I, should I not?" he said.

"But I'm committed within my mind the decision that's been made

"I don't know what life holds for me, I don't know how it's going to be not having to come into the club day in day out because it's been my life, but I'll find out..."

"My life will never be the same. I've lived and breathed through football my entire life."

Malthouse declared Buckley the best player he had seen.

"He's clearly in my mind the greatest," Malthouse said.

He had left the game on a high as an exceptional competitor who always gave his all, setting an example for others to follow.

McGuire said Buckley had led the club both through its dark hours and better times, and was the most professional person he knew.

"The Collingwood Football Club will never ever forget the impact Nathan has had.

"Nathan Buckley leaves the stage with nothing more to give and nothing more we could ask of him."

Buckley said he had been wrestling with his decision and finally made up on his mind on Tuesday after speaking with his wife, Tania, and father, Ray. He told McGuire and Malthouse of his decision on Wednesday.

"In my mind my body is not ready to go. I'll never not want to play the game ... but I just can't trust my body any more."

He also revealed he almost quit after tearing his hamstring earlier this season.

"When I tore the hamstring about two thirds of the way through the year I felt that I could have actually given it away.

"It was probably those feelings knowing I had absolutely no faith or trust in the way my body was going to react to certain training procedures, or whether it was going to be able to cope with the rigors of a game of football...

"I think that was the main reason I understood and realised now that with all good intention or faith I could not put my hand up to go again because I've got no idea what my body will do."

Collingwood will now undergo the process of choosing a new captain for the 2008 season.

Buckley had captained the club since 1999 but has been hampered in recent years by hamstring problems.

He began his career with Brisbane in 1993 before moving to Collingwood the following season.

He won a Brownlow Medal, Norm Smith medal, six Collingwood best and fairest awards and was a multiple All-Australian in his 15-year career.

You Pies fans be devastated. At least you've got Jett to look forward to!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: