Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Amateur Photographer Thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a gorgeous grey colour, I took a good pic of it a while back I’ll try and find it

And in other news the second pic was on the channel 7 weather report tonight!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 pm

Egret or heron, my guess is White-faced Heron, if only becaue it doesn't look quite right for either Great (neck too short) or Little (too dumpy, head too big) Egret. Eastern Reef Egret would be a fair bet, but there are none Melbourne!

Wonderful pictures!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:53 pm

thankyou xxx

so i think i want a 5D mk4!!

last night i watched the end of John greengos course on the camera, there was no moon so i settled for beau! like wholy shit, iso 2000 1/15 F4 57mm on my sigma art just no grain to speak of! and this was 1am so i wasnt trying very hard!

took a walk and had a play, very impressed! the tutorial taught me heaps, i put my settings to almost his suggested ones, good to see some extra focal points, plus wow iso50! very weird the way auto iso works, i had the shutter at 1/640 in case ducks came along, f4, the widest on this lens, and it stubbornly said nope cloud cover iso400, dont care how much you up the shutter! and yet the exposure was almost perfect! I do agree the auto focus is slllooooowww, but it gets there. i can see this being great for studio and people shots.
so this is at 105mm, slightly cropped, then the second is cropped to Mollys face, very minor adjustments in LR.

yes shes a scruff, Shes 13, not keen on the brush, so at her age, i dont care! besides the jumper is on point!

Beau

apparently this is a native chocolate flower? keeping in mind this is an Art lens meant for portraiture, not a macro, im pretty impressed, this flower is about5mm across!

and finally this crazy cocky swooped my daughter, along with a magpie, i got the funniest pic of her taking off ducking!!

considering how different this is to the 7D, im really happy with these. the sharpness and depth of colour. cant beat the speed of the 7Dmk2 though, 10 shots per 2nd, against 3.9, and the cropped sensor helps with zooming!

i know if the 7D died, id buy a new one the next day, and i wouldnt mind a nice new or nearly new 5Dmk4!! the 3 apparently has light leaks, but the 4 they fixed that and the auto focus issue has been fixed, or rather, brought up to todays standard.

thanks for your help tannin. cheers

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:22 pm

I mean its got iso50!! what the hell! africkenmazing
-this means there is no grain in the image, its like the holy grail!!

f2.8 iso 50!

bees are at iso400 but still at f2.8 with a macro 105mm
Tannin im shocked how different using the full frame is.

so i got a surprise delivery today, massive bunch of flowers, a grazing plate and a box of mixed lollies, chocolates, donuts as a thankyou for some pics i took, pics i really wanted to take, win win. off to gorge and watch a little Bruce, cheers guys, happy Saturday night!!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Great stuff Jo!

Just on that ISO 50, it's a bit of a trick. Canon's "expansion ISO" settings are simply multiplier functions. It doesn't have a native ISO 50. If you set the camera to "ISO 50", what you get is a shot taken at the lowest available real ISO (100) and adjusted mathematically.

So what is the point of ISO 50? Well, there isn't any - except for the edge case where you want to take a very long exposure (typically for one of those awful "frozen waterfall" cliche shots) but its too bright and you don't have a strong enough NDF.

What about the expanded ISO setting at the high end of the range? Same deal: suppose your camera does ISO 64000 max in hardware, but offers a 128k setting. Set it to that 128k mark and the camera will shoot at 64k underexposed a whole stop, and then multiply the result by two - this of course multiplies both the image data and the noise. What is the difference between using this fake "128k: setting and just under-exposing a whole stop at 64k and pushing the exposure back up during post-processing? None whatsoever. (Oh, except that you may or may not have post-processing software that can push underexposed high-ISO more cleanly. Either way, the difference will be quite small.)

So, in broad, with a 5D II ISO 50 is the same as ISO 100. In reality, it is likely to be very slightly worse than the native setting, not that you'd ever notice. But then ISO 200 quality is also very, very close to ISO 100. You can use ISO 200 at will, any time you want faster shutter speeds, and no-one will ever see the difference. Only at 400 do you start to see anything visible.

For dynamic range, however, ISO 100 rules the roost. If you are struggling to get enough range between bright and dark areas, 100 ISO is your go-to.

If you are blown away by the quality delivered by the 5D II, pause for a moment and remember how ancient it is. What an amazing old camera!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Wow, thanks for the in depth info mate, much appreciated, and yes I really am blown away by the quality it delivers. I get what you mean about the iso 50, interesting stuff.

So I kinda mentioned I’d shifted my dream from the 1DX to hubby - a guy on a canon photography page has both, I asked him a couple of questions, he pointed out as you did that the 1DX is the top sports camera, but I’m more than happy with the 7Dmk2 for that, and the price means I’d just buy a new one if mine died, I can’t see me chucking an 11K camera around the footy or racetrack without having panic attacks!

He also pointed out the mk4 has the new 62 point focus, a much better auto focus drive thingy, (that’s a very technical term right there!) plus the 32MP and third of a price tag, and I’d want it for portraits and people shots, and well, I’m not sure if hubby was relieved I didn’t want to spend 11k, or close to it, or he just wanted me to shut up, but.....I just ordered myself a birthday present, a brand spanking new 5DmkIV! So the electric bike he was getting me that I had no idea I wanted, he is getting himself for Christmas! I’ll take the canon thanks! Yippee so excited!

I’ll have to go find some waterfalls to freeze!! Razz

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:15 pm

Youweei!! All-round, I reckon it's the best camera on the planet, certainly for the sort of work you are doing. (I don't say that because I own one, I own one because it's the best all-round camera on the market. I also have a 1D IV, a 7D II, and EOS R and a 5D II, but the 5D IV is better than any of them.)

You will love it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 am

Cheers mate thanks, I can wait!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:46 am

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2020/aug/17/bird-photographer-of-the-year-2020-in-pictures
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:38 am

Oh wow, these are amazing, I’ll click that on my PC today and check it out with a good cup of coffee, thanks for sharing the link. I have big plans to get in the car and just drive drive drive for photos as soon as they let the inmates out!

I want to start entering competitions, I checked some pics in one, made it to round 9, and then the competition disappeared, apparently there was some controversy! But I’m ready.

And this morning I got up at the ungodly hour of 6.10 am, I dreamed I took the new camera out of the box and missed the edge of the counter and dropped it! I actually sat straight up in bed!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:17 pm

WTF is this?
it was in our local creek, i only had a 200mm on, and the old 5Dmk2, so yes focus is very slow!

cant wait to get the mk4, but gees, the old one is amazing for sharpness

shot at 200mm in full sun

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:26 pm

i think its one of these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakali

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Spot on! It is indeed a Water Rat - a fairly common native Australian mammal, though not generally an easy one to spot.

More here http://tannin.net.au/page.php?image=180508_110232-3rvc.jpg and here http://tannin.net.au/page.php?image=180508_110148-pc.jpg

Very nice Pacific Black Duck, Jo. May I suggest winding back the exposure just a little. Those highlights will be showing up OK in Photoshop (or etc.) but are just a fraction hot for general display. (For this shot, my inclination would be to wind the whole thing back a third of a stop, half a stop at most, not just the highlights. What Photoshop thinks is "technically correct" and what actually look right are two different things. Try, for example, selecting "auto" on a misty-day scene. Yuk!)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:07 pm

Yes good suggestion, Thankyou , I should have had a polo riser on. The sun was going in and out all day. I’m really struggling with the ISO on it, it adjusts and jumps around so much, since it seems to pick a standard ifyou will on auto ISO, I’m selecting it myself and adjusting the shutter speed using the internal White balance reading.

I’m actually glad as I can’t be lazy, it really makes you work for it, but the results are really worth it. Cheers and thanks again

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:37 pm

The head colouring doesn't look right for a black duck, but maybe that's the settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 17 of 21   

Jump to: